November: Cab Franc for Wine Focus!

The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

November: Cab Franc for Wine Focus!

Postby Robin Garr » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:41 pm

Since this thread is already working, let's just make it the monthly topic! Bring on your Cab Franc notes from all over the world, and as a subtext, Cab Franc lovers, (TROLL ALERT!) try to make the case that this variety deserves single varietal status beyond its traditional role in Bordeaux as a blending grape.
User avatar
Robin Garr
Forum Janitor
 
Posts: 16974
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:44 pm
Location: Louisville, KY

Re: Almost November: What to discuss for Wine Focus?

Postby Salil » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:54 pm

Cabernet Franc? (incl. Cab Franc heavy blends)
User avatar
Salil
Franc de Pied
 
Posts: 2807
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:26 pm
Location: Connecticut

Re: Almost November: What to discuss for Wine Focus?

Postby ChaimShraga » Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:15 pm

What Salil said.
Positive Discrimination For White Wines!
http://2GrandCru.blogspot.com
User avatar
ChaimShraga
Wine guru
 
Posts: 814
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:53 am
Location: Tel-Aviv, Israel

Re: Almost November: What to discuss for Wine Focus?

Postby David M. Bueker » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:56 pm

It's a little off beat, but not too much. I like it.

Plus Cab Franc is pretty versatile with the Thanksgiving meal.
There behind the glass lies a real blade of grass. Be careful as you pass. Move along. Move along.
User avatar
David M. Bueker
Riesling Guru
 
Posts: 21980
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:52 pm
Location: Connecticut

Re: Almost November: What to discuss for Wine Focus?

Postby David Mc » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:40 pm

I recently had a Nissley (PA) Cab Franc that I thought was mediocre on day one but really opened up the next day - it was fantastic. So, I'm anxious to try some Francs.
David Mc
Ultra geek
 
Posts: 203
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:20 pm
Location: Washington DC -- Maryland Suburbs

Re: Almost November: What to discuss for Wine Focus?

Postby Salil » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:07 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:It's a little off beat, but not too much. I like it.

Plus Cab Franc is pretty versatile with the Thanksgiving meal.

Baudry mag? :D
User avatar
Salil
Franc de Pied
 
Posts: 2807
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:26 pm
Location: Connecticut

Re: Almost November: What to discuss for Wine Focus?

Postby Mark Lipton » Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:35 am

Salil wrote:
David M. Bueker wrote:It's a little off beat, but not too much. I like it.

Plus Cab Franc is pretty versatile with the Thanksgiving meal.

Baudry mag? :D


That's certainly something to be thankful for, Salil! :D

Mark Lipton
User avatar
Mark Lipton
Oenochemist
 
Posts: 4315
Joined: Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:18 pm
Location: Indiana

Re: Almost November: What to discuss for Wine Focus?

Postby Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:35 am

Excuse me but I thought we had chatted about S Italy for November?
User avatar
Bob Parsons Alberta
aka Doris
 
Posts: 9497
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:09 pm

Re: Almost November: What to discuss for Wine Focus?

Postby Tim York » Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:25 am

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Excuse me but I thought we had chatted about S Italy for November?


We did. But I would never object to doing Cabernet franc. Southern Italy certainly deserves a whirl sometime and a cold month would be suitable for these mostly gutsy wines.
Tim York
Tim York
Wine guru
 
Posts: 3862
Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 3:48 pm
Location: near Lisieux, France

Re: Almost November: What to discuss for Wine Focus?

Postby Robin Garr » Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:32 pm

Tim York wrote:
Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Excuse me but I thought we had chatted about S Italy for November?


We did. But I would never object to doing Cabernet franc. Southern Italy certainly deserves a whirl sometime and a cold month would be suitable for these mostly gutsy wines.

Yeah, the tide is clearly flowing for Cabernet Franc. So much so that I'm inclined to make it so. "Ping!"

We can certainly keep the Mezzogiorno on the list for another winter month, though. And while we wait, here's a wine-geek question I had never thought of before: Where would you draw the line in dividing Southern Italian wines from those of the North? The traditional definition of the Mezzogiorno includes Abruzzo and Molise along with the more usual suspects of the toe and heel, but I tend to lump the wines and food of Abruzzo in with its northern neighbors. What say you experts?
User avatar
Robin Garr
Forum Janitor
 
Posts: 16974
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:44 pm
Location: Louisville, KY

Re: Almost November: What to discuss for Wine Focus?

Postby Tim York » Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:44 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Tim York wrote:
Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Excuse me but I thought we had chatted about S Italy for November?


We did. But I would never object to doing Cabernet franc. Southern Italy certainly deserves a whirl sometime and a cold month would be suitable for these mostly gutsy wines.

Yeah, the tide is clearly flowing for Cabernet Franc. So much so that I'm inclined to make it so. "Ping!"

We can certainly keep the Mezzogiorno on the list for another winter month, though. And while we wait, here's a wine-geek question I had never thought of before: Where would you draw the line in dividing Southern Italian wines from those of the North? The traditional definition of the Mezzogiorno includes Abruzzo and Molise along with the more usual suspects of the toe and heel, but I tend to lump the wines and food of Abruzzo in with its northern neighbors. What say you experts?


I agree. I think that the Abruzzo wines have a more central Italian character. FWIW my favourite Italian supplier, whose tasting I couldn't attend today :( , includes them in central Italy.
Tim York
Tim York
Wine guru
 
Posts: 3862
Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 3:48 pm
Location: near Lisieux, France

Re: Almost November: Cab Franc for Wine Focus?

Postby Carl Eppig » Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:37 pm

We have three different Cab Francs in the rack, but some from Abruzzo too. Take your pick.
Carl Eppig
Our Maine man
 
Posts: 3989
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:38 pm
Location: Middleton, NH, USA

Re: Almost November: Cab Franc for Wine Focus?

Postby ChaimShraga » Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:16 pm

Great. Finally I have a wine in the bullpen that totally fits this month's theme.
Positive Discrimination For White Wines!
http://2GrandCru.blogspot.com
User avatar
ChaimShraga
Wine guru
 
Posts: 814
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:53 am
Location: Tel-Aviv, Israel

Re: Almost November: Cab Franc for Wine Focus?

Postby Kelly Young » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:12 pm

Chinon and Bourgueil, come to papa!
User avatar
Kelly Young
Ultra geek
 
Posts: 478
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:37 pm
Location: Washington, DC

Re: Almost November: Cab Franc for Wine Focus?

Postby Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:54 am

Yup, true Loire-heads should be happy this month. I`m ready naturally.
User avatar
Bob Parsons Alberta
aka Doris
 
Posts: 9497
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:09 pm

Re: Almost November: Cab Franc for Wine Focus?

Postby David Creighton » Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:36 pm

there are also plenty of CF's from MI, NY, ON and VA.
david creighton
David Creighton
Wine guru
 
Posts: 1235
Joined: Wed May 24, 2006 11:07 am
Location: ann arbor, michigan

Re: Almost November: Cab Franc for Wine Focus?

Postby Carl Eppig » Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:18 pm

David Creighton wrote:there are also plenty of CF's from MI, NY, ON and VA.


As well as NC and we have one, as well as from NY and CA. Need to find some from Loire.
Carl Eppig
Our Maine man
 
Posts: 3989
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:38 pm
Location: Middleton, NH, USA

Re: Almost November: Cab Franc for Wine Focus?

Postby Thomas G » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:37 pm

Cabernet franc sounds good. I have one from NJ and some Loires.
Thomas G
Wine geek
 
Posts: 76
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:14 pm

Re: Almost November: Cab Franc for Wine Focus?

Postby Pinchas L » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:03 pm

I was wondering if you would be open to the idea of honoring Rogov by designating Israeli wines as the wine focus of the month. I acknowledge that Israeli wines, given their current state do not deserve that designation on their own, but it would be a nice gesture in Rogov's honor, and I can only speculate how many more decades will pass before Israeli wines would earn the spot outright.

Cheers,
-> Pinchas
Pinchas L
Wine guru
 
Posts: 624
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:04 pm
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Re: Almost November: Cab Franc for Wine Focus?

Postby Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:26 pm

Pinchas L wrote:I was wondering if you would be open to the idea of honoring Rogov by designating Israeli wines as the wine focus of the month. I acknowledge that Israeli wines, given their current state do not deserve that designation on their own, but it would be a nice gesture in Rogov's honor, and I can only speculate how many more decades will pass before Israeli wines would earn the spot outright.

Cheers,
-> Pinchas


Very nice idea, but how many of us have access to such wines? May I make a suggestion Pinchas? Start an Open Mike: Israeli Wines thread and we can all post thoughts and tastings there.
I myself have started many Open Mikes and most have had great response. Open Mike: Douro ran to six pages I believe.

Bob Alberta.
User avatar
Bob Parsons Alberta
aka Doris
 
Posts: 9497
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:09 pm

Re: Almost November: Cab Franc for Wine Focus?

Postby Robin Garr » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:22 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Very nice idea, but how many of us have access to such wines? May I make a suggestion Pinchas? Start an Open Mike: Israeli Wines thread and we can all post thoughts and tastings there.
I myself have started many Open Mikes and most have had great response. Open Mike: Douro ran to six pages I believe.

Excellent, Bob! I love the idea of an Israeli wine retrospective, but indeed, the wines are just a little too difficult to find in many parts of the world to sustain a 30-day Wine Focus. I think an Open Mike discussion would generate lots of interest, though.
User avatar
Robin Garr
Forum Janitor
 
Posts: 16974
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:44 pm
Location: Louisville, KY

Re: Almost November: Cab Franc for Wine Focus?

Postby James Roscoe » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:25 pm

There ought to be a way to honor Rogov for a month without resorting to Israeli wines. Put your thinking caps on folks!!!!
.....we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain -- that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom -- and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth. A. Lincoln
James Roscoe
Chat Prince
 
Posts: 10453
Joined: Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:43 pm
Location: D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

Re: Almost November: Cab Franc for Wine Focus?

Postby Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:02 pm

When I think Cab Franc, I think Chinon! Here is a very good video.....>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNt82EOfwUo
User avatar
Bob Parsons Alberta
aka Doris
 
Posts: 9497
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:09 pm

Re: Almost November: Cab Franc for Wine Focus?

Postby David Mc » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:44 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:When I think Cab Franc, I think Chinon! Here is a very good video.....>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNt82EOfwUo


Love those old guys at the end chugging those huge glasses of Cab Franc!
David Mc
Ultra geek
 
Posts: 203
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:20 pm
Location: Washington DC -- Maryland Suburbs

Next

Return to The Wine Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot], Michael Malinoski, Yahoo [Bot] and 11 guests