The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Dee Vine 2005 Germans

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:16 pm

Livermore, CA

WTN: Dee Vine 2005 Germans

by wnissen » Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:47 pm

DEE VINE 2005 GERMANS - SF, CA (11/5/2006)

As usual, Dee Vine's monthly tasting was worth the trip, offering a chance to try newly released 2005s, which mostly were OK, but also a fascinating sparkler.

Posted from CellarTracker.

Walt
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

Re: WTN: Dee Vine 2005 Germans

by Saina » Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:33 pm

Thanks for the notes! I'm still a bit iffy on the 2005s. I bought a sample case+ of them to try and at first I was very impressed. But then I began to find over-ripe notes in all of them or notes bordering on over-ripe. I really want to try more of them before committing myself.

I hadn't realised Robert Weil is that expensive over there. I'm lucky to get the Spätlese for about 30€ - and I thought that was a bit steep compared to other Germans.

-O-
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:55 pm

Interesting as always. As one can see in my notes, or in our discussions on Saturday, I have different tastes, not finding nearly as much redeeming value in that Solter.

But I also found it interesting that you found the Kanzemer Horecker to finish short. To me it had the most sublime combination of ethereal presence. The Weils were exciting I agree, but for me they were still all bunched up and dense, while the Kanzemer Horecker was soaring already..

Regardless, I thought it was a good tasting, shame they will be switching to weekdays.
no avatar
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:16 pm

Livermore, CA

by wnissen » Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:16 pm

Apologies for my slow reply, I've been out of town the last three days. Otto, I'm surprised the price differential is that high, but Dee Vine takes a pretty healthy profit margin, especially because they tend to import a lot of wines in small quantities.

Rahsaan, say it's not true that they'll be tasting on weekdays! If they doubled the price, I'd still come, but there's no way I'm doing a two-hour roundtrip on a weeknight.

Walt
Walter Nissen