Doing "quote" correctly

Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

Doing "quote" correctly

Postby Karen/NoCA » Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:57 pm

I read the FAQ, but could not find how to do the "quote". Help!
Karen/NoCA
Hunter/Gatherer
 
Posts: 5264
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:55 pm

Re: Doing "quote" correctly

Postby Robin Garr » Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:58 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:I read the FAQ, but could not find how to do the "quote". Help!


It's really easy, Karen, if you just think of the "Quote" button as meaning "Reply, with a backquote." When you want to reply to someone's post, use the Quote button rather than the Reply button. This way, when the reply window opens, the other party's message will appear IN FULL between tags that look like [ quote ] and [ /quote ].

If you leave it alone, the entire message will be backquoted in your reply. Or you can delete parts of it to only backquote a portion, but take care not to change the [quote] tags. Put your reply after it, and your reply will look spiffy.

This is how this system replicates "threading," by backquoting so it's easy to tell which post your reply is pertinent to.
User avatar
Robin Garr
Forum Janitor
 
Posts: 17032
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:44 pm
Location: Louisville, KY

Re: Doing "quote" correctly

Postby Karen/NoCA » Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:26 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Karen/NoCA wrote:I read the FAQ, but could not find how to do the "quote". Help!


It's really easy, Karen, if you just think of the "Quote" button as meaning "Reply, with a backquote." When you want to reply to someone's post, use the Quote button rather than the Reply button. This way, when the reply window opens, the other party's message will appear IN FULL between tags that look like [ quote ] and [ /quote ].

Thanks Robin, I am testing right now.
Karen/NoCA
Hunter/Gatherer
 
Posts: 5264
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:55 pm

Re: Doing "quote" correctly

Postby Robin Garr » Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:46 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:Thanks Robin, I am testing right now.


You're getting there, but it looks like you misplaced one small thing. remember that your new material must be AFTER the last {/quote}
User avatar
Robin Garr
Forum Janitor
 
Posts: 17032
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:44 pm
Location: Louisville, KY

Re: Doing "quote" correctly

Postby Karen/NoCA » Sat Apr 08, 2006 9:45 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Karen/NoCA wrote:Thanks Robin, I am testing right now.


You're getting there, but it looks like you misplaced one small thing. remember that your new material must be AFTER the last {/quote}
Thanks again, Robin. Hope this works this time
Karen/NoCA
Hunter/Gatherer
 
Posts: 5264
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:55 pm

Re: Doing "quote" correctly

Postby Robin Garr » Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:35 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:Hope this works this time


Lookin' good!
User avatar
Robin Garr
Forum Janitor
 
Posts: 17032
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:44 pm
Location: Louisville, KY


Return to The Forum Kitchen

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot] and 3 guests