Galil Mountain Yiron 2007 for $12

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

Galil Mountain Yiron 2007 for $12

Postby Jon Tabak » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:33 am

Gotham in NY has a case of Galil Mountain Yiron 2007 for $145.20, about $12 per bottle + shipping. Here's the (non-affiliate) link:

http://www.gothamwines.com/sku412834.html

If you live outside of NY, use my post to take advantage of this deal:

http://www.kosherwino.com/index.php/2011/09/25/galil-mountain-yiron-2007-for-12-bucks/

Enjoy!
Jon
http://www.KosherWino.com - Supporting your kosher wine habit
Jon Tabak
Ultra geek

Re: Galil Mountain Yiron 2007 for $12

Postby Adam M » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:23 pm

wow, this is bound to ruffle some feathers in the retail world! $12 is nearly 40% off of regular wholesale! This is one of those "too good to be true" deals that I actually would think twice about before chasing. I mean, the cost is fantastic. But you just have to ask why on earth this highly celebrated wine would be essentially "dumped" like this! :?

Thanks, Jon, for sharing!
Adam M
Wine guru

Postby E Segel » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:03 pm

Adam the wine is being heavily discounted by all the local retailers, it appears that Yarden is dumping it for some reason. Either way I happily ordered a case at what I thought was a cut rate price...until I saw this...
Regards,
Eli
E Segel
Wine geek

Postby Yossie Horwitz » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:17 pm

They may have the 2008 ready to (as with some other wines like the El-Rom, etc.). It looks like are getting positive responses to 2008 / Shmittah year wines from consumers and want to move out the prior vintage before they release the "next" one, in this case the 2008... (a commonly recurring and highly problematic (in my opinion) process (although better than not importing one wine so as to not harm the sales of another).
Sign up for my weekly newsletter on wines, wineries & other oenophilic goodies at http://www.yossiescorkboard.com
Yossie Horwitz
Wine guru

Postby E Segel » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:25 pm

This may pose a problem to the "industry" or to retailers who have invested in a given wine, but when good wine gets priced like this the consumer is the winner.
Regards,
Eli
E Segel
Wine geek

Postby Samuel A » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:29 pm

Yossie - could be. could also be that something went terribly wrong with the bottles in transit to the US that significantly shortened the life-span of the wine - or worse. to me, I say yeah sure grab a couple of bottles to try but you'd be dumber than Gomer to back your truck up to the front door of Gotham or any other retailer....

E. Segal - consumer wins assuming the wine is as good as advertised. the consumer gets screwed if the wine's body structure, longevity and outright taste has been altered such that the wine doesn't match up to the prevailing tasting notes and accolades - unless, of course, this is disclosed to consumers, which ISNT the case here.
Samuel A
Wine geek

Postby Andrew B » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:50 pm

I highly doubt that the wine is damaged. Sometimes, market dynamics allow for dramatic price changes. One can routinely buy Yarden wines at Costco for ridiculous prices when they decide they would like the shelf space back.
Andrew B
Wine guru

Postby Menachem S » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:15 pm

I agree

This is Yarden as the importer/distributer - we either trust Yarden or we dont
Menachem S
Wine guru

Postby Jon Tabak » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:46 pm

I think a number of us here on the forum have tasted the wine and I don't believe anyone has detected a fault. In my opinion, Yarden has always produced quality products but not necessarily the best business decisions.
Jon Tabak
Ultra geek

Postby Barry K » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:08 am

and Gotham and Costas are a class act .. Not in their interest to distribute a flawed product
Barry K
Ultra geek

Postby Samuel A » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:51 am

Barry K wrote:and Gotham and Costas are a class act .. Not in their interest to distribute a flawed product

It is not in their interest to serve way over-the-hill and spoiled high end wines at the VIP part of their annual wine tasting either; but they did. In fact, Costas even admitted that the 2002 Carmel Limited Edition that was served had been kept under his computer desk for a long period of time. This admission came only after it had been discovered that the wine was bad.

Classy? :?

I'm standing by my suspicion that the wine is not in the same perfect condition as the other wines. This wine is simply too well regarded to be dumping just to make room for a later vintage. It hasn't even been in the market in the US for much more than 9 months. Yarden knows very well that the 2008 vintage will not get a full audience and it just wouldn't make business sense for them to dump a perfectly good vintage just to make room for a vintage that only a portion of their target market will drink.

It could be that the effects on the wine are not currently noticeable, or that the wine may even taste more integrated b/c its aging has accelerated due to the sub-prime conditions that it endured. So I am not suggesting that the wine currently tastes off or spoiled (I frankly don't know whether it does or doesn't). Rather, I am suggesting that there is a reason other than (I) making room for a new vintage or (ii) hey we just want to contribute to the greater good reason for dumping this wine - and that this reason may not have a short erm effect but very well could have a long-term effect (i.e., people will be reporting 3-5 years from now that they popped open one of these babies and it was surprisingly over-the-hill.)

I'm not trying to be prfound here. I'm sure this happens a lot to various wines that travel far distances. It's just not always as seemingly obvious as in this case.
Samuel A
Wine geek

Postby David Raccah » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:09 pm

Samuel, I have been to all the VIp tastings, I do not think Costas was in anyway deceiving you or the group. He had shared wines with us a few times already with clear warning about its status. To be honest, I do not get a chance to taste those wines anyway, so to me it is a win-win. It is always an experience and one that helps me grow my palate and knowledge.

I think we should slow down on the accusations. Sure, it is fine to speculate and state that you would be too afraid to buy the wine. Still remember two things:

1) Bad wine (if there is any) from Gotham, would be happily received back from Costas - of that I am sure!
2) If you do not want to buy the wine from Costas - many stores will price match.

Finally, if you all think the wine is going bad and therefore do not want to drink it - send them to me :lol:

David
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
David Raccah
Wine guru

Postby Isaac Chavel » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:51 pm

my local store is also running an aggressive sale, not just gotham. so chances are the problem is with galil mtn/yarden.

maybe there is a more innocent interpretation --- galil mountain miscalculated, overproduced, and now have to move it out, and consumers are the beneficiaries of their "mistake."

best not to overthink it. if interested, buy one, try it, and then decide --- instead of seeing all sorts of nefarious considerations.
Isaac Chavel
Ultra geek

Postby Jon Tabak » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:21 pm

Again, no one has reported a fault with the wine, so it's more likely the intentional (or unintentional) result of a business decision.
Jon Tabak
Ultra geek

Postby Daniel Monsey NY » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:28 pm

Grapevine Wines in Monsey, NY now has the galil yiron 2007 on sale for $15.49! I highly recommend you get on their email list for their sale information, and even more, visit them to see what else they have up their sleeves...or open behind their counter ;)
Daniel Monsey NY
Ultra geek

Postby Harry J » Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:05 pm

Bsd. Interesting little saga this btl is going thru. The thread started w gotham the for a few dollars more we find it in monsey , say for 20 on ave u and 22 on nodstrand. And everyone of those prices is a sale! L. a freind who used to post on rogovs ramblings and unlike me buys the expensive btls gave me an opinion this is a good fifteen dollar btl. But not a 25 dollar btl. Maybe that's why its on sale .h
Harry J
Wine guru

Postby Barry K » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:09 pm

Hi Harry
Has your friend tasted the Yiron.. Price is set by supply and demand . When supply exceeds demand prices deflate and consumers benefit . when Demand exceeds supply prices inflate and the consumer suffers . Is gasoline twice as good in 2011 as it was in 2010?

Galil Mountain, Yiron, 2007: A well balanced and firmly structured full-bodied blend of 62% Cabernet Sauvignon, 31% Merlot and 7% Syrah, living up nicely to its earlier promise. On the nose and palate blueberries, blackberries and stony minerals, those yielding to blackcurrants and purple plums all sitting comfortably on a background that hints of saddle leather and dark chocolate. Long and elegant. Approachable and enjoyable now but best 2012-2017. Score 92. K (Re-tasted 1 Feb 2011)
Barry K
Ultra geek

Postby Yossie Horwitz » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:40 pm

Just to follow up on this thread, I bought a case at $12 a bottle and have had four of them so far - all consistently good, so kudos to those who got the benefit of a good bargain!
Sign up for my weekly newsletter on wines, wineries & other oenophilic goodies at http://www.yossiescorkboard.com
Yossie Horwitz
Wine guru

Return to Israeli and Kosher Wine Forum