Rogov Obit

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

Re: Rogov Obit

Postby Gedalya P » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:27 pm

Boruch Dayan HaEmet. I just bought a wine shop in Israel and will strive to live up to the standards I have learned from your forum over the years. I'll miss your wit, intelligence, knowledge and all.
From Cellar 18 in Ramat Beit Shemesh
Gedalya P
Wine geek

Postby R Liberman » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:27 pm

I share everyone's sentiments about Daniel (z"l) (may his memory be a blessing). I have learned so much since I joined this forum and I'm still in shock. I do hope that the forum continues, as Daniel expressed. It's probably one of the best ways we can continue to pay tribute to him. Baruch dayan emet.
R Liberman
Ultra geek

Postby Gabriel Geller » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:35 pm

Very sad. תהיה נשמתו צרורה בצרור החיים. May his soul be bound up in the bond of eternal life!

שלום דניאל רוגוב - וחשוב לי ששמך האמיתי דיוידי ג'רוף יהיה פה מוזכר גם בעברית ובאנגלית.

Shalom Daniel Rogov a.k.a David Joroff

You will be missed by many people!

I will raise my glass to you and open a great bottle of wine in your honor this coming Shabat, a typically Israeli wine that you have described its making as "Chutzpah" (insolence) in the positive way that it implies in Yiddish, and that you have as well declared as being absolutely unique in the world, exactly like you were! Galil Mountains - Meron 2006. Le'Chaim!

We shall all keep celebrating life and enjoy it like Rogov tried to do during his entire life. I personally believe this should be considered as part of his legacy.

למשפחתו אני מאחל לכם שה' ינחם אתכם בתוך שאר אבלי ציון וירושלים - To his family I wish that May God console you among the other mourners of Zion and Jerusalem

יהי רצון שנשמע רק בשורות טובות ישועות ונחמות - Hope that from now on we will hear only good news, consolations and salvation.
Last edited by Gabriel Geller on Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gabriel Geller
'So-called' wine expert

Postby Richard_S » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:41 pm

The harvest just started in Bordeaux but we'll miss the judicious advice about 2011 being the best harvest since 2010. 2011 will probably keep a light bitterness for many of us.
A decent drink and a decent smoke in remembrance are definitely in order.
This place knew better days.

Richard
Richard_S
Wine geek

Postby Alan Wolfe » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:46 pm

Rogov was a better man than most, 'though I'm sure he would deny it.

I too will miss him.

Rogov RIP
Alan Wolfe
Country Gent

Postby YoelA » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:08 pm

Will not try to echo, least of all outdo, the previous comments, many of which were subperb.

My wife and I had the opportunity to meet Daniel about two years ago, in his "other office" on Basel Street. He was affable, erudite, funny, opinionated, the very embodiment of a New York/Israeli jew. Shortly he will be seated with other great winemakers, wine critics, cooks, and the like, and probably with some of the very ancient sages who appreciated all of that, still discussing (arguing?) about the merits of various foods, wine, and other cultural matters. The good life continues.
YoelA
Wine guru

Postby T Shahar » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:17 pm

RIP dear Rogov,

Will miss your TN poems, will raise a glass and drop a tear.....
--Tomer--
T Shahar
Ultra geek

Postby Bob Ross » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:22 pm

RIP, Daniel.

I am reminded of our serious debates on healthy living -- I wish I had been more persuasive.

He was a great joy in my wine experiences, and I will miss him.

Robert C Ross
Bob Ross
Wine guru

Postby Loweeel » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:00 pm

I've been delinquent from here over the last year, but what sad, terrible news.

Rogov, you made such an impact on me -- always having time to respond to emails or silly questions -- and your books really helped me learn Israeli wine when I took a much-needed trip to Israel after the bar exam. You were gracious and knowledgeable -- an example of how to disagree politely while sticking to strongly held opinions.

You will be greatly missed. My sincere condolences to your family.
http://PSychospath.com -- The PSychos' Path: the long road to being crazy about Petite Sirah
Loweeel
Ultra geek

Postby Gamliel K » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:06 pm

Dear All,

I am quite saddened by the news of Rogov’s passing. He was both a friend and a mentor, and half a dozen years ago when I started writing about wine professionally, he was always willing to give advice and make suggestions.

I last spoke to him a few months ago, and although at the time he must have known of his illness, he was still vivacious, witty, and as always, an engaging conversationalist.

I know of no more eloquent way to convey my thoughts on his passing than to (slightly mis)quote James Boswell on the passing of David Garrick . . . and I think Daniel would have liked the quotation:

Rogov’s death is a striking event. Not that we should be surprised with the death of any man who has lived more than seventy years, but because there was a vivacity in our late, celebrated, friend which drove away the thoughts of death from any association with him.

Let me also extend my condolences to his widow, daughter, and brother. May none of them know any further suffering.

Gamliel
Gamliel K
Ultra geek

Postby Sue Courtney » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:46 pm

Lives get busy and you don't get onto the forum as much as you hoped you can, then you read about someone you have communicated with, for many years, passing away and you feel very sad.
I have had many spirited emails with Rogov over the past ten years (should I mention screwcaps!!!) and I looked forward to the times were were in the Chat Room togther, despite time differences. A couple of years ago the emailed me to say he was looking forward to coming to New Zealand and we were making plans to meet. Then he said on Wine Chat one day that the trip was off. Perhaps his illness was the reason why.

Adieu Rogov. you old curmudgeon. Knowing you has made me a better person. I hope you are enjoying a glass of your favourite tipple wherever you are right now.

Sue Courtney
Auckland
New Zealand
Sue Courtney
Wine guru

Postby Ian Sutton » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:47 pm

Like others, I'm shocked and saddened at the speed in which it's come to this. I'll miss the educated, informed and respectful discussions that typified the man. It really was a joy to chat with him, even if only online. His presence will be sorely missed.
Drink coffee, do stupid things faster
Ian Sutton
Spanna in the works

Postby Aeyal G » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:47 pm

What I had to say I said in Rogov's life in the thread where he announced his retirement. I also sent him the same things a few weeks ago by email to which he replied, so I am happy he got them before leaving us.

תנצבה
RIP
Aeyal G
Cellar rat

Postby Mike_F » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:05 pm

Truly a gentleman.

c'est la vie, c'est la mort...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9SXvv559Ko
Of course we must be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.”
Richard Dawkins
Mike_F
Ultra geek

Postby Doug Surplus » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:38 pm

I too, am saddened by this news. RIP Daniel.
Doug

If God didn't want me to eat animals, why did He make them out of meat?
Doug Surplus
Wine guru

Postby Karen/NoCA » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:49 pm

This is sad news. Daniel was such a great gentleman, he will be missed by so many.
Karen/NoCA
Hunter/Gatherer

Postby Jonathan K » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:54 pm

Wow. Just wow. Being far removed from the situation I am in shock over this. Over the last several years Rogov had become a part of my life. I will miss him.
Jonathan K
Ultra geek

Postby Richard Tasgal » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:21 pm

The Jerusalem Post has a nice and interesting obituary. http://www.jpost.com/ArtsAndCulture/Ent ... ?id=237096

Let me note that some of the obituaries have mistakenly said that Daniel stopped writing for the Jerusalem Post in 1984. Well, I'm not sure that that is wrong, but it's not the whole story, as a Lexis-Nexis search shows that he was a regular writer for the Post from at least 1989 (when Lexis-Nexis begins to include the Jerusalem Post) to 1997. I myself remember Daniel's articles in the Post from the 90s, and especially all the irate letters about treif.
Richard Tasgal
Wine geek

Postby DMWeinberg » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:49 pm

May Rogov's family and many fans, including me, be comforted among the mourners of Zion and Jerusalem. And may they do so by drinking good wine from Zion and Jerusalem, and keeping this wonderful forum alive. When you consider what Rogov did to advance and promote the Israeli (and kosher) wine industries, you realize that he was indeed great Zionist. Although he wasn't the most Biblical guy, I know from discussion with him that he too felt that the flowering of the Israeli wine industry was a special part of the grand, historical return of the Jewish People to Israel. For that, and all else, I salute his memory! -- David M. Weinberg, Nof Ayalon, Israel
DMWeinberg
Cellar rat

Postby Aeyal G » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:50 pm

Aeyal G
Cellar rat

Postby Jenise » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:58 pm

Richard Tasgal wrote:The Jerusalem Post has a nice and interesting obituary. http://www.jpost.com/ArtsAndCulture/Ent ... ?id=237096

Let me note that some of the obituaries have mistakenly said that Daniel stopped writing for the Jerusalem Post in 1984. Well, I'm not sure that that is wrong, but it's not the whole story, as a Lexis-Nexis search shows that he was a regular writer for the Post from at least 1989 (when Lexis-Nexis begins to include the Jerusalem Post) to 1997. I myself remember Daniel's articles in the Post from the 90s, and especially all the irate letters about treif.

Richard, thanks for that link. It's a far more detailed, elegant and loving homage than the obit in Ha'aretz.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
Jenise
FLDG Dishwasher

Postby Michelle Nordell » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:01 pm

It has been quite a while since I have visited this forum and for that I am ashamed. I had the pleasure of meeting Daniel at a wine tasting and book signing in Tel Aviv. He was curmogeony and charming at the same time. I respected his scoring of wines and I will miss his great insight and his lovely laugh. May his memory be for a blessing and may his family know no more sorrow.
My food blog: Baroness Tapuzina
Michelle Nordell
Wine geek

Postby Matilda L » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:33 pm

Rogov, old friend, I'm going to miss you.

For more than ten years I've enjoyed Daniel's intelligent, well informed and thoughtful comments on wine, food, and the ways of the world. Exchanging views with him was a delight. His steadfast devotion to this forum, and other forums before it, brought people together from all round the world. I've made friendships because of Rogov. I thought of him as a friend, though we'd never met - I had hoped we might when I finally got to Israel in 12 or 18 months time.

Shalom chaver. If there's an afterlife I hope it's full of great wines and spirits, good food, and good company. There'll be an afterlife in the collective memories of hundreds of wine lovers.
Matilda L
Sparkling Red Riding Hood

Postby Jim Cassidy » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:42 pm

My sympathy goes out to those who were close...

...and also to the many of us who were looking forward to meeting him.

RIP
Jim Cassidy

Owner, Millcreek Vineyards

(The prettiest vineyard in the Salt Lake Valley)
Jim Cassidy
Wine guru

PreviousNext

Return to Israeli and Kosher Wine Forum