Rogov Obit

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

Rogov Obit

Postby Daniel Rogov » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:58 am

This is a difficult letter to write and that because as it is posted it will serve to let forum members, guests and friends know that I have died.

As I write, I continue to be functional but recent setbacks of a physical nature have led me to consider the possibility that I will not be here for very long. Simply disappearing is not my style. Nor, although I do like to show off my knowledge at times, would it feel appropriate to boast of my past or present. Thus, just a few words of what will be, by necessity, of farewell.

Truth be told, I knew what was happening to my body. It was not always easy but I did manage throughout to maintain my optimism and yes, even a good many of my small pleasures. I was not one for mourning myself before the fact and realized that life goes on and in all of life, no matter how difficult there can be smiles, warmth and pleasure. And that those should be actively sought out. I did it. In this, it should also be noted that I very much appreciated the support that I was given by my readers, friends, people in the wine trade and my colleagues, much of which was kind enough to bring a tear to my eye.

As to food and wine, I have written about those over the years out of a sense of deep love and devotion, that both emotional and intellectual. As I hope I have made known, wine and food to me are not simply things that enter our body. They are a reflection of our anthropology, history, psychology, social needs and, of course pleasure. And, like all critics who take themselves seriously, I have gained enormous pleasure from sharing my thoughts. Specifically with regard to the forum, I have come to know a group of people who in great part share that love. Perhaps best of all, through the forum, my columns in the newspaper and my books, I have met people with whom honest dialogue is important, people to whom disagreement is every bit as important as agreement. It is clear that we do not agree on everything but that an honest, open dialogue and a sense of mutual trust are crucial to the true success of the critic. In a sense, I have come to think of myself as the Umberto Eco of wine and culinary criticism, striving in my work to present points of view that are both accurate and post-modern, that leaving the intelligent reader to make many of his/her own conclusions.

I very much hope that Rogov's Place as a forum will continue. There is no reason why it should not because many of our participants have a great deal of knowledge and certainly have what to say. It is equally apparent that many of our participants increase in their knowledge on a regular basis. In other words, plenty to talk about even if Rogov is no longer around.

As to the future, remember me if you can. As I have enjoyed you, I hope you have enjoyed me as well.

Overall, it was a good life.
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Rogov's Funeral

Postby Daniel Rogov » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:08 am

Daniel Rogov died last night. There will be a seperate announcement about the funeral.
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Re: Rogov Obit

Postby David Raccah » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:15 am

Please do not find this comment crass nor please do not find this shock appalling - but is this a very poor joke! Really! I have learned more from Daniel on wine than from many who walk the face of this earth!

Is this serious?

Please do not kid, I never thought Daniel was ready to run a marathon (from the pictures alone), but I had no idea Daniel was inches away..

Please tell me this is a joke...
David
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
David Raccah
Wine guru

Postby Jon Tabak » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:25 am

Whoa...
http://www.KosherWino.com - Supporting your kosher wine habit
Jon Tabak
Ultra geek

Postby Craig Winchell » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:49 am

It would have been a great joke, in very bad taste, but I fear it is reality. Perhaps the rate of progression of his illness caught even him unaware. A significant life to the end.
Craig Winchell
Wine guru

Postby David Raccah » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:57 am

I hope this is a joke, and I hope Daniel will be laughing at us all week...

Daniel you have single handily shown all walks of life the love of the grape, the power of community, and the true serenity to be able to love something so deeply and so knowledgeably, while being able to lovingly teach the world of wine, food, and love.

David
Last edited by David Raccah on Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
David Raccah
Wine guru

Postby Andrew B » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:57 am

Very sad news. We shall all feel the loss.
Andrew B
Wine guru

Postby Jon Tabak » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:01 am

I have learned much from Rogov in the short time that I participated on this forum. He truly inspired me in my wine writing and it's a shame that I won't be able to meet him in person. His passing is a tremendous loss to both the kosher and Israeli wine worlds. Baruch Dayan Emes.

Jon
http://www.KosherWino.com - Supporting your kosher wine habit
Jon Tabak
Ultra geek

Postby Shlomo R » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:22 am

I never met Daniel in person, although we had a few private email exchanges. I am an emotional person. In the past, I have shed tears for people I had not met in person. Never before have I felt such a crushing personal blow at the passing of someone I never met in person. The oldest bottles in my wine cellar date from my first days in Daniel's forum (then on Strat's Place). The kosher wine world has suffered a horrible loss tonight - our greatest critic and gentleman is gone. The Resident Curmudgeon will be missed.
http://www.chailifeline.org/events/Bike ... rosenzweig - cycling 175 miles to raise money for summer camp for kids with cancer - doing it again in 2014!
Shlomo R
Ultra geek

Postby Joel D Parker » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:59 am

I do not think this is a joke. I certainly wish it were a joke, but Daniel only joked about rumors of his passing when they were rumors, and he is not the kind of person who would think this was funny, or somehow amusing to his friends. He had a lot of respect for us forumites and he would not do this for a laugh. He had plenty of other things to laugh about and he hadn't a cruel bone in his body. Also, if he simply wanted to 'retire' from the public eye he would have done so. He really built a great legacy, and he was an institution unto himself.

Very sad,

Joel

P.S., although I normally don't believe in such nonsense, I had a strong feeling that this had happened this morning.
Joel D Parker
Wine guru

Postby Barry Saslove » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:21 am

For over the past 19 years I have known Rogov as David. He was a friend that I could talk with at any time, and I did. Although I am mourning his death, I would much rather celebrate his life, his accomplishments, his friendship, his honesty, his humour, his fantastic stories and his sense of ethics.

Bless David Goroff, I'll miss him and will think of him for many years to come.
Barry Saslove
Cellar rat

Postby Jon J » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:35 am

I am so sorry to hear this. I've been a long time lurker and always enjoyed Rogov's wit, humor and expertise. He will be missed by many. I actually just moved to Israel and had been looking forward to attending one of his tastings or meet-ups to actually meet him face to face.

I will certainly be raising my next glass to Rogov.
Jon J
Wine geek

Postby Zalmy T » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:36 am

Wow!
I was quite shocked to see this as a Tweet early in the morning. Baruch Dayan Ha'Emes.
I hardly knew Daniel, but read and respected that which he wrote and critiqued. His knowledge and humorous style will surely be missed by many worldwide, but in a much more particular and personal sense, he will be missed by the forumites.
RIP and may your close ones be consoled from Zion.
ZT
Zalmy T
Just got here

Postby Lior Yogev » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:47 am

Rest in peace :(
Lior Yogev
Wine guru

Postby Avi Hein » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:53 am

יהי זכרונו לברכה - He will be remembered for a blessing.

I, for one, will be drinking a special wine this weekend in his honor.
It's Israeli Wine 2.0 - HaKerem: The Israeli Wine Blog - http://www.israeli-wine.org
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/avihein - @avihein & http://www.twitter.com/israelwines - @israelwines
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/israelwine
Avi Hein
Ultra geek

Postby Robin Garr » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:19 am

Avi Hein wrote:יהי זכרונו לברכה - He will be remembered for a blessing.

I, for one, will be drinking a special wine this weekend in his honor.

I echo Avi's words and will always remember Rogov fondly. We will be happy to keep this community online in his memory for as long as you, his friends and fellow travelers along life's way, wish for us to do so.
Robin Garr
Forum Janitor

Postby Stephen Weil » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:27 am

יהי זכרונו לברכה - He will be remembered for a blessing

I have very fond memories
Stephen Weil
Ultra geek

Postby Craig Winchell » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:36 am

And this is what he calls partial retirement. Now he expects us to organize a seance? I , for one, am not interested in critiques of wines long dead.
Craig Winchell
Wine guru

Postby Howie Hart » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:38 am

Semper Fidelis David.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
Howie Hart
The Hart of Buffalo

Postby Z Spigelman » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:44 am

I will remember Daniel for helping open the world of wine to me, for answering all of my questions and requests, his sense of humor the few times that we met and especially our political and religious discussions (arguments) that were always on a civil and respectful level.
I will truly miss him.
יהי זכרונו ברוך
Z Spigelman
Wine guru

Postby Jon Peterson » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:45 am

I am proud to have exchanged thoughts about wine on this forum with Mr. Rogov and I will miss him. He left this realm with some style though, didn't he?
I just wanted to inform you that I find you to be very attractive. Thank you and have a nice day.
Jon Peterson
The Court Winer

Postby Salil » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:47 am

Rest in peace Rogov. We'll miss your grace, humour and knowledge.
Salil
Franc de Pied

Postby Norm N » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:50 am

I am so sorry to hear this. I, too, sensed that this might be coming but hoped that it was just Rogov slowing down a bit. A truly sad loss for all of us.

Norm
Norm N
Ultra geek

Postby Victorwine » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:53 am

Rest in Peace Daniel. My condolences to the family. God Bless

Salute
Victorwine
Wine guru

Next

Return to Israeli and Kosher Wine Forum