The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Nero D'Avola - rough character

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Tom N.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:17 pm

Soo, Ont.

WTN: Nero D'Avola - rough character

by Tom N. » Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:39 pm

Spadina Una Rosa Signature Sicilia 2002 13.5% abv

Garnet red with ruby edge. Interesting nose of prunes, blackberries, and black raspberries. Very dry wine with powerful tannins that are a bit rough on the midpalate. Long tannic finish that starts out bitter but fades nicely to a nice acidic dark fruit end. Definitely not a sipper. Needs food to tame and complement its tannins.

I think this wine made the wine spectator top 100 of 2005. But it's a bit rough for my taste.
Tom Noland
Good sense is not common.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: WTN: Nero D'Avola - rough character

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:40 pm

Tom, I tried a few NdA at a recent Empson tasting and they were all big burly tannic wines. Like you, have tasted a few and there are some nice ones out there. Not the spoofulated A-Mano though but many like it! Think we did a tasting on Netscape last winter??
no avatar
User

OW Holmes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:57 pm

Grand Rapids, MI

by OW Holmes » Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:54 pm

Nero d'Avola is one that I am afraid I just don't get. Our local merchang bought out a bunch of NdA - Genofranco 2004 - and offered it on deep discount, so deep that almost everybody on his alert list bought some. Including me. I found nothing of interest, in contrast to most of my friends, some of whom really liked it. It wasn't offensive - just pretty big and uninteresting. I've had two other bottles I know of, one with a red label and one with a white label but I don't remember the names of either. Neither made a lasting impression, obviously.
If there is a good one out there, or at least a typical one out there, I'd love to make one more visit just to see if it goes on my "don't waste any more time on these" list.
-OW
no avatar
User

Tom N.

Rank

Wine guru

Soo, Ont.

by Tom N. » Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:09 am

Hi O. W.

I have had one NdA that I liked. It wasn't nearly as tannic and it was less expensive than this one. It was also mixed with some cab. It was a lot nicer and smoother than this one, but still a big wine. I don't recall its name off the top of my head, but I think it was a popular one.
Tom Noland
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:15 am

Tom, Anastashia??
no avatar
User

Victorwine

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 18, 2006 9:51 pm

by Victorwine » Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:56 am

Hi Tom,
Is the Spadina Una Rosa Signature wine of Sicily produced by Antonini? My father and I enjoy a Nero d’Avola from Sicily called Spadina produced by Antonini of Tuscan fame. (A spadina was a weapon of honor in ancient Italy, but when the opponent was a lady, duelists found the rose a more appropriate weapon to reach the heart).
This wine has a deep garnet color, rich and full cherry, berry and plum flavor. Shows soft tannins and oak influence, good acidity and balance. Fruit has supply sweetness and a distinct character, with a spicy, lasting finish.

Salute
no avatar
User

Tom N.

Rank

Wine guru

Soo, Ont.

by Tom N. » Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:11 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Tom, Anastashia??

Hi Bob,

Actually I think it might have been Anastasia. It was a really nice wine that was good with food, definitely new worldish though with good fruit. I am trying to remember and I think you might have commented that you tasted it but did not like it as much as I did. Does that sound like something you posted? Or was it someone else or some other Nero D'Avola?
Last edited by Tom N. on Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom Noland
no avatar
User

Tom N.

Rank

Wine guru

Soo, Ont.

by Tom N. » Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:14 pm

Victorwine wrote:Hi Tom,
Is the Spadina Una Rosa Signature wine of Sicily produced by Antonini?
Salute

No, I don't think it is made by Antonini. It says that it produced and bottled by S. I. V. S. p. A in Marsala Italy.
Tom Noland
no avatar
User

Victorwine

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 18, 2006 9:51 pm

by Victorwine » Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:30 pm

Robin wrote about this Spadina Nero d’Avola wine back in March of 2006

http://www.wineloverspage.com/wineadvis ... 60310.html