The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Old Montali Zin, Hardy's Vintage Port

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jay Labrador

Rank

J-Lab's in da house!

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:34 am

Manila, Philippines

WTN: Old Montali Zin, Hardy's Vintage Port

by Jay Labrador » Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:05 pm

A hastily arranged dinner featuring a gigantic hamburger steak and fillet mignon of kangaroo was an ocassion to try out some new and interesting wines.

Montali Zinfandel Amador County 1980 - By far the oldest Zinfandel I've tried. Beautiful nose of rootbeer, sweet spices and just a little mint. Initially, fresh, young tasting. A little spicy with good fruit and still some tannin. Some prune and mustiness after airing. Fades quickly and has a short finish. Unbelievably good for such an old zin. Best to drink it up, though.

Hardy's (Australian) Vintage Port 1997 - Rich, fruity, identifiably vintage port in style. Seemingly low in alcohol. Not a great deal of sediment. Restrained sweetness. Slightly bitter finish and seemed like it didn't have the usual alcohol punch of Portuguese Vintage Port. Rather soft. Good to drink now. Doesn't seem like it will develop much more. Good enough but I still prefer the original.
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

Re: WTN: Old Montali Zin, Hardy's Vintage Port

by Ian Sutton » Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:08 pm

Jay
So you did buy some of the Hardy's VP in the end :) Did you get any other wines from the sale you spotted it in?
regards
Ian
no avatar
User

Jay Labrador

Rank

J-Lab's in da house!

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:34 am

Manila, Philippines

Re: WTN: Old Montali Zin, Hardy's Vintage Port

by Jay Labrador » Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:20 pm

Hi Ian,

I have the St. Henri in stock and I got a bottle of the Reynella to try. Will open them both on Saturday to see if it's worth getting more. Notes to follow. While the port was good it's not a convincing buy for me.