When Hedonism Reigns

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, welcoming foodies to discuss the dining scenes in Israel and abroad, along with all things related to kosher food.

When Hedonism Reigns

Postby Daniel Rogov » Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:56 pm

This evening with my brother who is visiting from the USA, my wife and my brother-in-law we started off at Alkelai wine bar with one platter of sliced salamis, prosciuotto and other cold sausages and a separate platter of mixed cheeses. With those Barbera d'Alba, country style bread, Dijon mustard and abundant butter.

From there on to Arcaffe on Rehov Basel for multiple espresso coffees and with those a mocha granita, and on the table slices of apple crumble, lemon cheese cake and Belgian chocolate cake. Good food, good service, excellent company. Much pleasure.

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Re: When Hedonism Reigns

Postby Daniel Rogov » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:47 am

The hedonism continues and indeed sometimes super-simple hedonism is the very best. At Ronen's Humous joint on Basel Street.......two for lunch, two orders of humous complete.....humous, a bit of tchina, humous beans, pine nuts, chopped parsley, hard-boiled egg, hot pita bread, sliced pickles, crushed Syrian olives, raw half onions, Ronen's phenomenal green hot sauce, a lovely waitress, just the right amount of shade in which to dine and then because who were we to resist an order of malaweh. From there, as is so often my habit to Arcaffe across the street for fine coffees, one fresh chocolate brownie and continued good talk. The stomach rumbles with pleasure.
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby Daniel Rogov » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:16 am

At 5 a.m. was at Tel Aviv's Dixie, there for eggs Benedict and spicy home-fried potatoes and (with no apologies) six slices of just crisp-enough bacon popped into the mouth with the fingers.

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby Daniel Rogov » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:29 pm

Now you know and I know that humous in the Middle-East is destined primarily as a breakfast or early-lunch meal but after yesterday's humous at Ronen my little tummy is whispering "more humous, more humous" so 625 p.m. or not in a few minutes I'm strolling down for that additional humous. Of the things I enjoy about Ronen is that in addition to the every morning preparation, mid-morning and mid-afternoon preparations also take place assuring that the humous is always a fresh and warm as one could want. My little head things hot sauce, olives, sliced pickles, half onions, pita bread of course and because I may be in a somewhat kinky mood this early evening either a black beer (similar to root beer) or would you believe even a bottle of Coke.

No fear though.....plan for next week includes oysters, lobster, at least one fine entrecote steak, grouper fillets (hopefully at Chloelys) and yes, dammit......goose liver, that ideally on a well buttered slice of Greek country style bread.

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby Daniel Rogov » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:53 am

Early up and early out this a.m. to Arcaffe, there for two double espressos, a fine croissant, butter and a small package of plum jam that we made at home. I adore sitting in the shade out-of-doors, sipping coffee, munching croissants and leaving crumbs on the floor next to the table for the sparrows who come along to share my feast. What can I say... I like sparrows.

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby Daniel Rogov » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:32 pm

A friend brought me three knockwurst sausages from Hess (K) in Jerusalem. At home, the sausages deep-fried for a few moments, finished on a hot rotating grill, served on plates with home-made sauerkraut and cole slaw, Dijon mustard, and fruit flavored Cremona mustard. No bread. Pure flavor.

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby Daniel Rogov » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:28 pm

Early appetite, early out to Streets restaurant in Tel Aviv, there to sample (would you believe) chicken schnitzels, pounded thinly, nicely coated, deep fried, not-at-all greasy, flavor complemented nicely by nothing more than freshly squeezed lemon halves. With that a pleasant smooth and rich potato puree.

Streets is a chain, food is not what one would call "special", but adjusting to what they do ,knowing that consistency is important it becomes a pleasant enough place to sit out-of-doors, to have a light meal and then to move on. And yes, the service is informal and quite pleasant.

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby Daniel Rogov » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:06 am

Last day of teasing...... Out early to meet my publisher for a coffee meeting (double espressos and super-luxuriousdark Belgian chocolate cake). At home later with an appetite so two sunny-side eggs, fried in lots of butter, nothing more than salt and pepper on the eggs, each egg served on half a toasted English muffin. More coffee of course.
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Return to Israeli and Kosher Culinary Corner