Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Humboldt Fog advice needed

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Skye Astara

Rank

Wine geek

Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:38 pm

Coastal Oregon

Humboldt Fog advice needed

by Skye Astara » Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:30 pm

I have my first chunk of Humboldt Fog sitting in front of me. The outer rind looks bloomy/white with some beige like a very ripe Camembert (I like my Brie and Camembert so ripe that they're practically soup lol), and also is fairly evenly spotted with greyish/blue (like the color of a blue cat) round spots which appear to be mold. The wedge of cheese looks and feels creamy throughout, without the pure white core that I see in pictures.

Is this just a ripe piece of cheese or is it past its prime? Or, heaven forbid, has it gone bad? The pull date on it is today, but I did not purchase it myself so can not vouch 100% for its past days. The package is unopened.

It's just out of the fridge right now so I thought I'd ask here while waiting for it to come up to temp.
For the scientist, as for the poet, there are as many levels of wonder in the silent beat of a butterfly wing as in the howl of a wolf.
-Douglas H. Chadwick.
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

Re: Humboldt Fog advice needed

by Stuart Yaniger » Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:06 pm

There should be an ashen rind (bloomy white-grey) and a grey streak in the middle (like a slice of layer cake). There shouldn't be any mold. There should be a white core, in fact, the core should be mostly white with just a bit of softening around the perimeter.
no avatar
User

Skye Astara

Rank

Wine geek

Coastal Oregon

by Skye Astara » Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:43 pm

Thank you.

I can't tell whether the colored spots on the rind are mold or ash actually. They are exactly the same color as the ash stripe on the inside though.

In trying to figure this out, before posting here I did a search and found lots of pictures, most of which showed the white core that you refer to. Mine lacks this, but I read that this cheese ripens from the outside in so I thought maybe I just have a very ripe specimen? It isn't runny like a really ripe brie, more like a very young brie just out of the fridge.
For the scientist, as for the poet, there are as many levels of wonder in the silent beat of a butterfly wing as in the howl of a wolf.
-Douglas H. Chadwick.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:52 pm

Skye, here's a thread from the old FLDG that might help you - there's even a picture!

Help me deconstruct a Humboldt Fog!
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:53 pm

Skye Astara wrote:Thank you.

I can't tell whether the colored spots on the rind are mold or ash actually. They are exactly the same color as the ash stripe on the inside though.

Ahh, that's not mold. I thought you meant that the spots were on the inner part. Texture-wise, it should be much like a very dense cheesecake with a softer, creamier layer just below the rind.

If you smell ammonia, it's a goner. If not, open a Sauternes and enjoy.
no avatar
User

Skye Astara

Rank

Wine geek

Coastal Oregon

by Skye Astara » Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:13 pm

Thanks, Robin! Now I want some figs. I have no orange blossom honey as it is not among my favorites, but I have a nice, not-too-sweet, complex honey from the Nile Valley. Perhaps I'll try that.

No Sauternes, alas, as I am trying not to get the person stuck inside of me drunk, but I can pretend lol. (I'm not referring to my other personality, I'm pregnant)

Cheesecake is an excellent comparison. I don't smell ammonia so I will dive in. Thank you very much. My concern was mainly the lack of the flaky, chevre-like core but I'm not afraid of ripe cheese. If my Brie and such is capable of really holding its shape when cut, I don't even bother.
-Douglas H. Chadwick.