The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Trimbach Gewurztraminer 1999

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bruce Hayes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:20 am

Prescott, Ontario, Canada

WTN: Trimbach Gewurztraminer 1999

by Bruce Hayes » Sun Apr 02, 2006 6:59 pm

Cuvee des Seigneurs de Ribeaupierre.

Picked up a couple of bottles of this a little while ago on sale. Finally opened the first tonight.

Golden color.

Honey, flowers, spice and marmalade on the nose.

Oily and viscous, rose petals, lychee, orange-lemon marmalade, ginger, with some citrus rind bitterness toward the end. Iincredibly rich and intense, almost bordering on a dessert wine.

Wow. Quite possibly one of the best bottles of white wine I have ever enjoyed.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: TN: Trimbach Gewurztraminer 1999

by Rahsaan » Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:36 pm

This ages wonderfully as well. I had an 85 last year that was still humming along beautifully in no sign of decline.
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:05 am

Bruce Hayes wrote:Cuvee des Seigneurs de Ribeaupierre.

Picked up a couple of bottles of this a little while ago on sale. Finally opened the first tonight.

Golden color.

Honey, flowers, spice and marmalade on the nose.

Oily and viscous, rose petals, lychee, orange-lemon marmalade, ginger, with some citrus rind bitterness toward the end. Iincredibly rich and intense, almost bordering on a dessert wine.

Wow. Quite possibly one of the best bottles of white wine I have ever enjoyed.

Gewurz is a grape that I'm not really fond of, but this wine is a favourite of mine. But of all the notes that I've seen on this, no one has mentioned the astounding minerality that I experienced when I last tasted it. Did I get a strange bottle?

Rahsaan, glad to hear it ages well.

Trimbach rocks!
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:09 pm

Otto Nieminen wrote:But of all the notes that I've seen on this, no one has mentioned the astounding minerality that I experienced when I last tasted it. Did I get a strange bottle?

Answering one's own post is a bit suspect, but here I go anway ;) No, I didn't get a strange bottle. Bruce, thank you so much reminding me of this wine. I went out and bought one to try this weekend. On a risotto with several hard, aged cheeses and several forest mushrooms this worked like a wonder.

Pungent, typical Gewurz nose but with that astounding minerality also very evident. There is even a touch of the olive stone scent that I find in Rieslings which is a precursor to age brought petrol and a delightful savoury and refreshing edginess: diluted quinine would it be? The palate is full bodied, astonishingly intense, deceptively sweet with fine acidity for the grape and immense minerality. But good heavens what an aftertaste. It is as Trimbachy as can be: austere (??? I'd never thought I'd see this descriptor with this grape, lol), mineral, intense, very dry yet utterly Gewurzy in its spiciness.

Once the deception of sweetness subsides with several years aging, this will become fantastic. I have never been so excited by any other wine from this grape!
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.