Good quality aged glatt kosher beef in Jerusalem?

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, welcoming foodies to discuss the dining scenes in Israel and abroad, along with all things related to kosher food.

Good quality aged glatt kosher beef in Jerusalem?

Postby Mike BG » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:05 am

This may be a non-starter, but does anyone know where one can buy good quality aged glatt kosher beef in the Jerusalem area? You know, at a push I might go as far as Bnei Brak/Tel Aviv ... Oh yes, I know there is the 'Adom Adom' from Tenuva, but we often have guests who don't relay on their kashrut (even though we do).
Mike BG
Ultra geek

Re: Good quality aged glatt kosher beef in Jerusalem?

Postby Daniel Rogov » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:41 am

Sorry, but not a clue. In desperation you might phone chef Shalom Kadosh at the Leonardo Hotel (until recently the Sheraton Hotel). He might be able to point you in a correct direction.

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby Mike BG » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:22 am

Thanks Daniel. My own research has not got anywhere - when I have asked at restaurants they tell me they age the beef themselves. We may yet resort to doing that as well ...
Mike BG
Ultra geek

Postby David Raccah » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:12 pm

If I remember correctly Daniel the restaurant (I forget its name) in Jerusalem that has really good charcuterie and pate (that is ALL that they have good by the way), had some raw aged beef for sale at the counter, in the butcher box.

David
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
David Raccah
Wine guru

Postby Daniel Rogov » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:24 pm

David, Hi....

The name of the shop is Marcel Hess. You are correct, his charcuterie and his pates are indeed world-quality and I purhase them frequently. As to the other dishes he offer...let's just say not my 350 grams of beef.

Hess is indeed kosher. Whether he is certified as glatt kosher* is not known to me.

Best
Rogov

*Glatt is a level of kashrut approval. It relates specifically to meat and involves an examination of the lungs of the animal immediately after slaughter. Only if the lungs are unscathed and unscarred can be meat be given that higher level of approval. With the exception of partiularly observant Jews the issue of glatt has relatively little impact. It might also be noted that while many restaurants featuring only glatt kosher meat do not present especially appealing culinary offerings.
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby Mike BG » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:42 am

I have made a small bit of progress. I asked a butcher we sometimes use for beef (where we do buy a good deal of poultry) if he could vacuum pack beef, thinking of purchasing a small refrigerator and setting it to 1-2 degrees Celsius to wet age the beef at home. He said he didn't have a vacuum machine, but that as we were good clients he could age the beef for me in their industrial refrigerator for 2 weeks or so. We shall now see if that approach works.
Mike BG
Ultra geek

Return to Israeli and Kosher Culinary Corner