The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

What is Terroir ?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

François Audouze

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:05 pm

Noisy-leSec France

Re: What is Terroir ?

by François Audouze » Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:54 pm

I have probably not understood all what you have written, but I have understood the question in the title of this discussion.
I am absolutely not an expert in techniques, but I love to drink wine.
And here is my understanding.
The vine is an invading plant, which wants always to expand, and is also a lazy plant.
It means that if you bring water to the plant, it will never try to push its roots very deep in the soil.
In the contrary, if you force the vine to not expand horizontally, it will expand vertically.
And expanding vertically, the roots will meet the different slices of earth which have various components. And it is the complexity of the various slices of earth that the roots find on their way which makes "terroir".
Only a few hectars of land will make Montrachet. And all the properties not in this delimited surface will never make wines which have the qualities of a Montrachet.
Because, on a specific perimeter, the components of the earth give an unparalleled quality to the wine.
This is not meant to be complete. But for me it explains everything I want to know.
Old wines are younger than what is generally considered
no avatar
User

JeanF

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:04 pm

by JeanF » Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:05 am

I have an issue with the definition of terroir as given on the terroir-france site. They advocate that winemaking techniques are part of the terroir.

In their definition the Nuits-Saint-Georges Les Cailles from Robert Chevillon comes from a different terroir than the one from Dom. Laurent.

It is counter intuitive. In French you would say that they are different expressions of the same terroir (the French are always polite: I would say Dom. Laurent is crap, but that's a different discussion)
www.moselfinewines.com
no avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:20 pm

St. Louis

by wrcstl » Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:14 am

The Fish wrote:I would say Dom. Laurent is crap, but that's a different discussion)

I am not an expert on these wines but I like your direct review/rating. No grade, no number, no description, just a small commnet. Enough to make me not purchase Dom Laurent. Thanks :lol:
Walt
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:23 am

I remember a similar question on eBob last year! By this time, there was a big argument going on between the combatants! We really do seem to be a lot more civil...there, that should get you going!!!