The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Habsburg wines

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

alex metags

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:55 pm

WTN: Habsburg wines

by alex metags » Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:37 am

2003 Zantho St. Laurent, Burgenland, Austria
Berries and a bit of pepper and spice. Smooth easy drinker. Fine match with a pasta and tomato sauce dish.

2003 Cantina Tramin Lagrein, Alto Adige, Südtirol, Italy

Cherries, blackberries, and a bit of herbs in both nose and mouth. Medium length. Not bad, but by day two, the fruit had dropped off, and it was no longer as tasty.

2005 Dveri-Paz Eisenthur Grauburgunder-Sipon, Slovenia

This blend of Pinot Gris and Furmint was recommended by a wine merchant I frequent. Citrus and floral scents. Crisp with mineral core in the mouth and a long finish. Paired nicely with Alsatian Muenster. I will look out for the winery’s other offerings.

2002 Chateau Bela Riesling, Sturuvo Region, Muzla, Slovakia

Dry, citrusy, with a nice backbone of acidity. Food friendly and went well with a very mild curry and rice.

cheers,
al
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

Re: WTN: Habsburg wines

by Bill Hooper » Sun Oct 29, 2006 1:12 am

Habsburg wines -nicely put. Now that I think about it, I rarely drink wines outside of the Holy Roman Empire. I wonder what Voltaire would say about that!

Prost!
Bill
no avatar
User

Michael Pronay

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon May 01, 2006 12:47 pm

Vienna, Austria

by Michael Pronay » Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:54 am

Note that it's "Dveri-Pa_x_":

http://www.dveri-pax.com/english/index2.html

Winery and vineyards have been restituted to the Benedictine abbey of Admont (Styria, Austria), and that the winery has it's second Austrian director and winemaker. After Erich Krutzler (until the end of the summer of 2006), it's now Herbert Toifl. The latter has already experience in dealing with monks, as he was the head of Weingut Stift Klosterneuburg, the winery of the Augustinian Canons Monastery of Klosterneuburg next to Vienna.
Ceterum censeo corticem esse delendam
no avatar
User

alex metags

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:55 pm

by alex metags » Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:39 pm

yep, just a typo on my part. Thanks for catching that. Have you had any of their wines Michael? The local wine store also has their Sauvignon Blanc, I am thinking of trying that next.

cheers,
al
no avatar
User

Michael Pronay

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon May 01, 2006 12:47 pm

Vienna, Austria

by Michael Pronay » Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:34 am

alex metags wrote:Have you had any of their wines Michael? The local wine store also has their Sauvignon Blanc, I am thinking of trying that next.

I remember having had a wine from them once or twice, without any special memories. Frieds have tiold me to look for the youngest possible ottlings, since the quality is rising. The first vintage (don't know which) apparently wasn't inspiring.

I'd go for the sauvignon, too, imnsho the best grape for the region.
Ceterum censeo corticem esse delendam