Lyon

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, welcoming foodies to discuss the dining scenes in Israel and abroad, along with all things related to kosher food.

Lyon

Postby P Arvela » Fri May 13, 2011 8:19 am

I will stay two days in Lyon ( 30.5. - 1.6.2011). I would be grateful to get some suggestions about wine shops and a good restaurant in Vieux Lyon.

Thanks in advance
P Arvela
Wine geek

Re: Lyon

Postby Daniel Rogov » Sat May 14, 2011 3:12 pm

Pente, Hi... Always good to see you on the forum!

Some say that the dining options in Lyon are even better than those of Paris. Indeed, literally dozens of truly great places to eat. Whenever I am in the city for more than a day, at least one of my meals is taken at Leon de Lyon, a long established and thoroughly traditional brasserie with lovely decor, fine service and excellent cuisine.

On my last visit I also visited Les Terrasses de Lyon, more formal than Leon but no less warm and welcoming with the addition of a magnificent view of the city from the terrace. I also returned to Pierre Orsi, the most formal and most expensive of the three but worth every hard earned penny.

Leon de Lyon
1 rue Pleney

Les Terrasses de Lyon
25 montee St. Barthelemy

Pierre Orsi
3 Place Kleber

As to fine wine shops the shop I invariably patronize in Lyon is that of Georges dos Santos. In addition to being quite well informed about the wines of both Burgundy and Beaujolais his shop has well over 4,500 bottles on display and for sale at prices that compete with those you will find anywhere on the planet. The shop is on rue de Boeuf (I do not have the number, but it's a small street and you can't miss it).

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby P Arvela » Sat May 14, 2011 5:00 pm

Thanks again Rogov for your suggestions. I will try some of them and report you when I am back.
P Arvela
Wine geek

Postby Richard_S » Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:08 am

You may enjoy this appetizer (in french...)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykKt6q2wDkI
Richard_S
Wine geek

Postby P Arvela » Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:55 am

Thanks Richard. I went to that wine shop and although mr. Santos was not there I bought different Beaujolais crus to be tested at the hotel. It was very rainy days in Lyon so we did only manage to have lunch and dinner to those wieux Lyon restaurants Amphitrion and Francoise Villon. After that we wenr to the lovely sunny Paris.
P Arvela
Wine geek

Return to Israeli and Kosher Culinary Corner