The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Request for TN for Penfolds St Henri 01, Reynella and Hardy's Vintage Port

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jay Labrador

Rank

J-Lab's in da house!

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:34 am

Manila, Philippines

Request for TN for Penfolds St Henri 01, Reynella and Hardy's Vintage Port

by Jay Labrador » Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:04 pm

One of the wine shops here is having a closing sale and among the more interesting items are Penfolds St Henri Shiraz 2001, Reynella Basket Pressed Cabernet Sauvignon 1998 and Hardy's Vintage Port 1997. Any impressions on these wines to help me in my purchasing decision will be most welcome. Thanks in advance.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

Re: Request for TN for Penfolds St Henri 01, Reynella and Hardy's Vintage Port

by Bob Ross » Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:28 pm

Jay, I've found Penfolds own tasting notes to be very reliable for the St. Henri. I haven't had the 2001, but I've had several other vintages.

Link: http://www.penfolds.com/collection/supe ... shiraz.asp

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

Re: Request for TN for Penfolds St Henri 01, Reynella and Hardy's Vintage Port

by Ian Sutton » Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:55 pm

No notes myself, but Jeremy Oliver has the 98 Reynella down as a long-termer and gives it a fair rap - sounds like a buy to me (as long as you don't mind the bigger end of the spectrum with a dose of oak).

The St Henri he gave a 90 and appeared to feel it was slightly cooked fruit and hence a little fruit-sweet and duller than the best vintages. Giving it a 90 suggests he still thinks it's good, so might be worth a bottle or two if the price is right IMO.

No idea on the Hardy's port, but if the price is right I'd be certainly tempted to get a bottle.

As long as the storage is ok (and the prices good), I'd see this as a great opportunity to get a cheap dozen to try wines out. I did such a thing a while ago and got some really interesting wines (which of course I wished I'd bought more of!).

regards

Ian