The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2005 Freiherr Langwerth Von Simmern Eltviller Riesling Kabinett Trocken

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

WTN: 2005 Freiherr Langwerth Von Simmern Eltviller Riesling Kabinett Trocken

by John Tomasso » Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:27 pm

This straw colored wine keeps changing in the glass - one minute I get wet stones after a spring rain, the next minute, it's tangerine, then grapefruit, or is that wet wool? Everytime I put my nose in the glass, I get a different scent.

On the palate, tart green apple mixed with some grapefruit juice and a touch of ginger. The wine is just shy of medium weight in the mouth.

It's very crisp and tart with a long, clean finish.

I've not had too many trockens, so this is a rather new experience for me. I liked the wine quite a bit, especially when I paired it with a roast chicken. But a glass the next day was good, all by itself.
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

Re: WTN: 2005 Freiherr Langwerth Von Simmern Eltviller Riesling Kabinett Trocken

by Bill Buitenhuys » Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:59 pm

Sounds really nice, John. I havent had many trocken either but the more I have the more I enjoy them.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: 2005 Freiherr Langwerth Von Simmern Eltviller Riesling Kabinett Trocken

by David M. Bueker » Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:05 pm

You will get two on Friday Bill!

I'm becoming a bigger fan of German Trocken Rieslings each and every year. There's a lot of good ones out there, but they get painted with this "too acidic, too thin" brush by many folks, even in the trade (or especially in the trade...).

I'm not that into kabinett trocken I have to admit, but kabinett halbtrocken is very good to my taste, and spatlese trocken is right up my alley.

I have not yet had the von Simmern trockens, though my recent experiences with the house would not lead me to try them. Thanks for the heads' up. I will look for a bottle.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:11 pm

You will get two on Friday Bill!
Sweet! err, Trocken!

That '04 Herrnshein "Red Slate" Spat Trocken that Lill and I had a couple of weeks ago was an eye-opener for me.

but they get painted with this "too acidic, too thin" brush by many folks, even in the trade (or especially in the trade...).
You are so right about that, although Vineyard Research Imp is really beating the "trocken instead of sweet" drum locally.