The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Netscape Forum Poll: Favorite country for wine

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Netscape Forum Poll: Favorite country for wine

by Robin Garr » Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:34 am

This week's Netscape/CompuServe WineLovers Community poll asks a simple question that you don't have to be an expert to answer. We've set up a simple ballot with several key choices, but don't hesitate to use "Other" to tell us if we missed your favorite.
Click here to vote.
no avatar
User

RichardAtkinson

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:15 pm

Houston, TX

Re: Netscape Forum Poll: Favorite country for wine

by RichardAtkinson » Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:57 pm

Italy for us. 65-70% of our wine purchases are Italian reds of one sort or another.

Richard
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:46 pm

I almost pressed Germany, but decided for France in the end. Life would be rather dull without M-S-R Riesling. But I *think* life would be more dull without the diversity of France. I'm not sure about this, however, and I am very happy that I've never had to find out for sure.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:04 pm

It all depends on what you mean. If you mean where the wine comes from, then France is the winner for me based on what I have sitting on my shelves in the basement. If you mean where do I have access to the greatest diversity of wines in the world, well that might be here in the U.S.A. It all depends on how you approach the question.
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Dave Erickson

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:31 pm

Asheville, NC

by Dave Erickson » Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:19 pm

France. Sometimes the status quo is correct. :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:42 pm

France. The diversity is wonderful. But the ROW is double France.

I honestly feel lucky to be interested in wine when there are so many wonderful wines available.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:29 pm

Bob Ross wrote:France. The diversity is wonderful. But the ROW is double France.

I honestly feel lucky to be interested in wine when there are so many wonderful wines available.

Living in the U.S., we are probably exposed to a wider variety of wines than anywhere else in the world. That's why you could make a case that the U.S.A. should be your favorite country for wine.
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:33 pm

I could say that about New York City, frankly -- even though only home wine makers work there. :)
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:05 pm

Otto Nieminen wrote:I almost pressed Germany, but decided for France in the end. Life would be rather dull without M-S-R Riesling. But I *think* life would be more dull without the diversity of France. I'm not sure about this, however, and I am very happy that I've never had to find out for sure.

Agree Otto, another vote from me.
no avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:20 pm

St. Louis

by wrcstl » Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:59 pm

Interesting kind of general question. After initial votes are in the #1 France, #2 Itlay and #3 US is exactly how I would rank them and is almost the % of the distribution of wines in my cellar. 12% US is a little high but you have to be somewhat supportive of your country, besides I have to have something to drink with grilled meat and BBQ.

I wonder what it would look like if you asked what is your #2 country for wine. Bet our German contingent would show very well.

Walt
no avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:20 pm

St. Louis

by wrcstl » Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:02 pm

RichardAtkinson wrote:Italy for us. 65-70% of our wine purchases are Italian reds of one sort or another.

Richard

Richard,
I could drink at your house. I checked France because of diversity but sangiovese is our #1 food wine and hard to think about not having some Piedmont wines or whites from the NE. Just don't think I could give up my aged Bordeaux.
Walt
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

by Bill Hooper » Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:37 pm

As the worlds greatest grape is Riesling, and Riesling is best from Germany, I could hardly vote for anything else. Second choice is a tough decision, but France would edge out Austria with the diversity card. The US, Australia and New Zealand wouldn't make my top 10.

Prost!
Bill
no avatar
User

Christy M.

Rank

Wine geek

Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:26 pm

Brooklyn, NY

by Christy M. » Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:08 am

Well, it is not a country, but I've thoroughly enjoyed exploring Washington State wines over the last few years. (Perhaps I'm a bit biased since it is my home state).

I think of wine as a vicarious source of and complement to travel and we are set to explore New York next since we are living here, along with France (which I think will be a life long travel adventure) since we are making a few trips there this coming year.
Christy
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Wed Oct 25, 2006 11:28 am

There are just too many countries for me to list in any meaningful way, though I'll try to answer as best I can.

I'm a believer in supporting the home turf, and this puts Ontario in my #1 spot. And, I'm well known for voicing support for viticulture all across the North American heartland where grapes other than vinifera actually thrive best in the generally continental climate.

I've always love South African wines - especially Pinotage, but not just Pinotage - and this admiration continues to this day. Of course, I've had a good number of low-end duds from SA, though surprisingly the KWV wines, which have disappeared from the LCBO somewhat inexplicably, were never among the duds. It may have been a government cooperative, but KWV really made good inexpensive wines all across the board. I can't say the same for the many replacements that followed it.

France - I have come to love the French attitude towards food and wine, and the precision with which the French view the wine-terroir connection. I am slowly studying this great vinous nation's wines, but so far know that my favourites are Madiran followed by the Rhones. I still have Loire Sauvignon Blanc to study.

I tend to prefer northern Italian reds to those from the south of Italy, with the exception of the occasional Primitivo di Manduria.

Austria has long held a place in my vinous heart for its GV, Blaufränkisch and Zweigelt - fantastically food-friendly stuff.

And, of course, I hope for the day when Eastern Europe will start making serious reds from its many native vinifera varieties to counter the massive wave of international varieties and offer more diversity from a part of the world that has known wine for a very long time but is suffering from the effects of the post-Communist maelström.
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca