Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Cheese Curds

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Cheese Curds

by Howie Hart » Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:46 am

I used to buy these from a cheese vendor at the local city market, but recently I found them packaged and sold in the supermarket. The brand is Heluva Good, a Western New York cheese producer. I'm curious if these are a local phenomenon or are they sold nationaly? I like to munch on them with some crackers and a glass of red wine.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

Re: Cheese Curds

by Mike Filigenzi » Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:45 am

They haven't made it out here yet, Howie. Too bad - my wife loves the things. We only get them when we're out in Wisconsin.

Mike
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:27 am

One of our suppliers, the one that makes all the deep fried thingies, has come out with deep fried cheese curds.

When in doubt - deep fry it!
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:14 am

We get Heluva Good products here, but haven't noticed the packaged curds. Will look.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:07 pm

We pick them up from Cuba Cheese Co when we go home to Allegany County, in Western NY.

(Along with a case or two of their extra sharp cheddar.)

Haven't noticed them in the stores here, but haven't looked either.
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:12 pm

Hey, Howie, do you eat those curds Quebecois style?

As in, cheese curds mounded over french fries, then drenched in gravy?

That's poutine. And it's at its most appealling on a cold day when the gravy starts congealing. I tried it a couple of times when I was up in Canada, but it was really annoying to have that flock of cardiologists following me around while I was eating it, so I tend to avoid it now.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:23 pm

Cynthia Wenslow wrote:We pick them up from Cuba Cheese Co when we go home to Allegany County, in Western NY.

I think the ones at the Farmers Market are from Cuba Cheese. They do make some good stuff there. Heluva Good also sells some pretty good horseradish, but I prefer Millers (especially on Beef On 'Weck :P ).
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:28 pm

Hoke wrote:Hey, Howie, do you eat those curds Quebecois style?
As in, cheese curds mounded over french fries, then drenched in gravy?

I've never had them that way, but I think the only time I eat fries is when they come with a fish fry, where I prefer salt and vinegar. A couple of my kids eat fries with gravy, but I've never heard of putting cheese curds on also.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:39 pm

Howie Hart wrote:They do make some good stuff there. Heluva Good also sells some pretty good horseradish, but I prefer Millers (especially on Beef On 'Weck :P ).

We make our own horseradish. But, damn, Howie, now I've got a Beef on Weck jones going on. Thanks a lot! :(

My dad makes the best I have ever had anywhere. He bastes the beef with his homemade mead. Fantastic!

Happily, I am driving home in the next month or two and can stock up on all my fave things. :)
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:11 pm

Cynthia Wenslow wrote:Happily, I am driving home in the next month or two and can stock up on all my fave things. :)

Every time I drive to Maine I have to take my brother Weber's mustard and Vernors.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:40 pm

Hoke wrote:but it was really annoying to have that flock of cardiologists following me around while I was eating it, so I tend to avoid it now.

:lol:
no avatar
User

Skye Astara

Rank

Wine geek

Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:38 pm

Coastal Oregon

by Skye Astara » Thu Oct 26, 2006 2:53 pm

When I first heard about poutine several years ago, I decided I had to try it. Being from California, there were no cheese curds to be found so I substituted grated jack. The kids and I loved it, while recognizing its innate alien nature. I made it a bunch of times over a period of a couple of months.

Now somehow it has morphed into sick food. On the couple of occasions that I have gotten the flu, nothing will do but this dish. If I'm feeling particularly ill the french fries are replaced with egg noodles, and in all cases the cheese is American slices or Velveeta. I cringe to admit this, even to myself. This is the only time that I will buy that type of cheese (?? is it cheese??).
For the scientist, as for the poet, there are as many levels of wonder in the silent beat of a butterfly wing as in the howl of a wolf.
-Douglas H. Chadwick.
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:01 pm

Skye Astara wrote:When I first heard about poutine several years ago, I decided I had to try it. Being from California, there were no cheese curds to be found so I substituted grated jack. The kids and I loved it, while recognizing its innate alien nature. I made it a bunch of times over a period of a couple of months.

Now somehow it has morphed into sick food. On the couple of occasions that I have gotten the flu, nothing will do but this dish. If I'm feeling particularly ill the french fries are replaced with egg noodles, and in all cases the cheese is American slices or Velveeta. I cringe to admit this, even to myself. This is the only time that I will buy that type of cheese (?? is it cheese??).

Oh, I think we're dealing with something different here, Skye.

I certainly understand your dish---but by changing the ingredients, you've essentially changed the nature of the dish. You're talking about cheese fries, basically. And I sure understand the attraction of that. Being of Irish heritage I believe in my soul that anything that can be good food can be improved by putting it on top of a potato :) .

And if you substitute egg noodles for the fries, well, you've got some esoteric macaroni and cheese, thassall.

But you're still a far cry from poutine, my dear. Curds don't have a lot of flavor; the taste isn't at all like grated cheddar. Hell, it isn't even as assertive as Velveeta! So when you put very bland curds on top of fried potatoes...and then drench it all in gravy...you've got a pretty bland glop of food. It's edible when it's hot, I'll give you that. But when it cools off slightly---which it begins to do before it's served---it's pretty horrible stuff

And take note: this is from a guy who likes to do cheez whiz in a can on top of Triscuits when on long road trips, so it's not like I have the highest standards in the world. :wink:
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:16 pm

Skye Astara wrote:Being from California, there were no cheese curds to be found so I substituted grated jack.

Now you just need to put an intermediate step in there... cover the fries with red chile, THEN grated extra sharp cheddar, leave off the gravy and you have The Perfect Food... chile cheese fries!

:D
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:30 pm

Being of Irish heritage I believe in my soul that anything that can be good food can be improved by putting it on top of a potato

And being a Stupid, I believe in my soul that anything that can be good food can be improved by putting cheese on top of it.
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:49 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:
Being of Irish heritage I believe in my soul that anything that can be good food can be improved by putting it on top of a potato

And being a Stupid, I believe in my soul that anything that can be good food can be improved by putting cheese on top of it.

And then putting both of them on top of a potato?
no avatar
User

Christy M.

Rank

Wine geek

Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:26 pm

Brooklyn, NY

by Christy M. » Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:08 am

If you are in the Seattle area, Beechers (flagship located in Pike Place Market for those of you passing through) makes delicious cheese curds, both plain and marinated in olive oil and herbs. They are available in local Seattle grocers but I'm not sure how far out they'd made it. Yum!
Christy
no avatar
User

Skye Astara

Rank

Wine geek

Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:38 pm

Coastal Oregon

by Skye Astara » Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:23 pm

Oh, I have definitely changed it. I think the jack version was the closest but without cheese curds that was the best I could do.

Speaking of cheese whiz, that spray cheese, sharp cheddar flavor, is pretty good on Hershey's Special Dark chocolate (I do not eat either of these items normally but sometimes I get really strange cravings, pregnant or not).
For the scientist, as for the poet, there are as many levels of wonder in the silent beat of a butterfly wing as in the howl of a wolf.
-Douglas H. Chadwick.
no avatar
User

Barbara Gavin

Rank

Just got here

Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:27 pm

Boston

by Barbara Gavin » Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:28 pm

What a revelation!
I have spent the past twenty years believing cheese curds were only available in Minnesota and Wisconsin.
After reading through this thread, I was motivated to look on Heluva's web site and found these reasonably priced curds:
http://heluva.stores.yahoo.net/fresh-fr ... curds.html

barbara
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:43 pm

Thanks for posting the link.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:08 am

Skye Astara wrote:Oh, I have definitely changed it. I think the jack version was the closest but without cheese curds that was the best I could do.

Speaking of cheese whiz, that spray cheese, sharp cheddar flavor, is pretty good on Hershey's Special Dark chocolate (I do not eat either of these items normally but sometimes I get really strange cravings, pregnant or not).

OK, that one's weird.....

:wink:

Mike
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child