Kosher in Paris

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, welcoming foodies to discuss the dining scenes in Israel and abroad, along with all things related to kosher food.

Kosher in Paris

Postby Yossie Horwitz » Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:16 pm

Any recommendations for good kosher dining establishments in Paris?

Thanks,
Yossie
Sign up for my weekly newsletter on wines, wineries & other oenophilic goodies at http://www.yossiescorkboard.com
Yossie Horwitz
Wine guru

Re: Kosher in Paris

Postby Yossie Horwitz » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:22 am

Not one recommendation for a kosher restaurant worth eating at in Paris?
Sign up for my weekly newsletter on wines, wineries & other oenophilic goodies at http://www.yossiescorkboard.com
Yossie Horwitz
Wine guru

Postby ShlomoB » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:33 am

Yossie,
Try Osmose at 31 Avenue de Versailles Paris in the 16th. Its a Little Pricy but very good .
Tel. 01.45.20.74.12

Shlomo
ShlomoB
Just got here

Postby Daniel Rogov » Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:45 pm

Yossie, Hi....

As much as I adore Paris and its culinary offerings, the city is hardly a culinary paradise for those who keep kashrut. True, there are over 200 food places in the city that have kashrut certificiates but well over 150 of those offer sushi, pizza, bagels or sandwiches or are patisseries offering little more than cakes and coffee. Although until now I have not hunted out all of the true restaurants of Paris that have kashrut certificates.I will be doing so in the near future for my new Rogov's Guide to theKosher Restaurants of North America and Europe.

Until I get more deeply into my research for the new book there are only four places that I can recommend.

Le Telegraph, 41 rue de Lille, Paris 7. Tel 01 42 02 03 04.
Le Chateaubriand, 125 rue de Tocqueville, Paris 17 Tel 01 47 83 96 90
Osmose, 31 Ave de Versailles, Paris 17 Tel. 01 45 20 74 12
Le 136 , 138 rue de la pompe, Paris 17. Tel 01 47 27 99 39

Despair not, however, for depending on where you are located or travel within the city there are a great many kosher choucrouteries – delicatessen shops that prepare dozens of fresh dishes daily, those specializing either in meat or dairy, and not a few of those have small but comfortable places at which to dine on the premises. Or, better yet, when the weather is good, to take their dishes to the nearest small or large park and to feast al fresco. For that reason, I suggest strolling the city with at least a few knives, forks, spoons and a bottle opener with you. The choucrouteries will pack the foods in easy to eat from containers and some will provide disposable plates for your use. And every branch of Nicolas in the city has at least a few good kosher wines available.

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby Yossie Horwitz » Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:55 am

Thank you Rogov, as always.

Yossie
Yossie Horwitz
Wine guru

Postby Yossie Horwitz » Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:37 pm

As a follow up to my prior posts, I am now planning a quick trip to Paris. Any recommendation for specific kosher choucrouteries? Also, any suggestions for great (kosher) wines not available in the US?

Thanks as always,
Yossie
Yossie Horwitz
Wine guru

Postby Daniel Rogov » Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:59 pm

Yossie, Hi....

As to choucrouteries, for many years there was a fine kosher choucrouterie on Rue de Buci (directly opposite the only supermarket on the street). I do not know if they are still there. You may also find one in the area of Bastille.

As to fine kosher wines not available in the USA, you will have a problem because the major audience for French kosher wines is indeed the USA and nearly every such wine makes its way across the Atlantic.

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby Yossie Horwitz » Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:40 pm

Not to beat a dead horse but I am trying to narrow down my dinner choices - I need to pick two of the following four - any thoughts/suggestions/specific recommendations?

Le Chateaubriande; Brasserie de Belvedere; Jaguar and Osmose
Yossie Horwitz
Wine guru

Postby Trevor F » Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:06 pm

Yossie H wrote:Not to beat a dead horse but I am trying to narrow down my dinner choices - I need to pick two of the following four - any thoughts/suggestions/specific recommendations?

Le Chateaubriande; Brasserie de Belvedere; Jaguar and Osmose

I thought it was ' Jardins de Belvedere ' on the Ave Wagram near Place Pereire. I went there about 6 years ago and found it really expensive. Food was fine, you'll have to book unless you get there early.......

I don't know whether the restaurant at the Israeli Embassy on the Ave Marceau is still there. Brasserie des Champs.

I don't know if Le Chateaubriand is still open unless it's changed hands
Trevor F
Ultra geek

Postby Daniel Rogov » Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:34 pm

It is indeed Brasserie du Belvédère

109 avenue de Villiers, Paris 17
Tel : 01.47.64.96.55

Indeed expensive but from feedback from friends well worth the investment.

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby Yossie Horwitz » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:31 pm

Thanks - nothing on Osmose or Le Le Chateaubriand?
Yossie Horwitz
Wine guru

Postby Daniel Rogov » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:32 pm

Yossi, Hi...

Addresses for Osmose and Le Chateaubriand are given above.

At Osmose look for a more modern French cuisine, and at Le Chateaubriand a more traditional/classic style. Neither is inexpensive but both are less dear than the Brasserie du Belvédère.

Me, if kashrut were important and I had to settle for two only it would be Le Chateaubriand and perhaps one of the many kosher couscous joints near Bastille (places at which the couscous complet is so good that it will make you sit back, pat your stomach, sigh for joy and give praise for good things). In order to attract masses of Parisiens, none of these places advertises conspiculously that they are kosher but the menus (displayed near the entrance way) do have a discrete note on the bottom. And, if asked, the owner or waiter will bring you out the kashrut certificate in a leather binder for your perusal. Great couscous. And, to be appropriate go for either the kosher Algerian wines that are offered. Or, if you wish, most of them carry the Yarden line. And, by the way, you will not find couscous complet that delicious in Israel, Lebanon, Syria. Perhaps in Morocco or Algeria.

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby Trevor F » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:12 pm

Try Darima at 89 Ave des Ternes for Tunisian tagine and coucous.

Last time I passed by there their orange kashrut certificate was not on display but I saw diners in there wearing kippot so I assume all was well, unless it was all put on.

http://www.mangercacher.com/traiteur-ca ... ma_170.php
Trevor F
Ultra geek

Postby Yossie Horwitz » Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:36 pm

Just got back from the trip and wanted to thank everyone for thier recommendations. I ended up at Osmose one night and Le Chateaubriand. I highly recommend Osmose - the food was innovative, interesting, tasty and the Chef was engaged and enthusiastic about his food. On the other hand, while the food at Le Chateaubriand was acceptable, the service, interest and shown creativity was significantly lacking. In some ways it reminded me of the attitude at Prime Grill in NYC - that being of a restaurant which is one of few top-tier places and therefore does not feel it necessary to make a real effort to make great food or provide good service and strictly interested in "high rollers" only who throw money away on name brand wines and the like - in one word - disappointing. For lunch we ate at one of the falafel places in the Jewish Quarter and it was really good - awesome techina as well.

I was also in London for a few days and ate at Bevis Marks which is supposed to be one of London's top kosher eateries. While the food was tasty, the experience as a whole was mediocre and if this is the best to offer - London (kosher) food has a lot of catching up to do... No imagination, creativity or interest in providing a real culinary experience. I chalk it up to a complete lack of understanding/interest among the (kosher) London folks but welcome others thoughts ion the topic.

Thank you again all for the suggestions and recommendations,
Yossie
Yossie Horwitz
Wine guru

Postby Trevor F » Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:26 pm

What do you mean by 'creativity ' in kosher cuisine ? Steak in roquefort sauce ?

I ate lunch about 5 years ago at Bevis Marks, about a year or two after it first opened. It is a City restaurant and charges City prices. While the food was adequate it was expensive.

Most of the London kosher restaurants are 12 miles away in the north west suburbs where the Jewish population lives. Bevis Marks is for lunch and for tourists. Don't forget that London has half or less than half of the Jewish population of Paris and so half the number of kosher restaurants.

One of the better establishments is Eighty Six in Hendon :

http://www.timeout.com/london/restauran ... /8108.html
Trevor F
Ultra geek

Postby Anthony Silverbrow » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:56 pm

Given this thread is a year and a half out of date, I was wondering if anyone had any updates either to restaurants or shops, in particular boucheries and choucrouteries?

Also interested in any Paris Jewish neigbourhood tips please.
Anthony Silverbrow
Cellar rat

Postby Daniel Rogov » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:05 pm

Anthony, Hi...

I heartily recommend reading through the internet site on the "Jewish Marais" quarter that is found at http://www.parismarais.com/le-marais-gu ... s-rosiers/

With further regard to the kosher couscous restaurants in the Basille quarter (not far from the new opera), most have taken to the habit of posting small kashrut notices in a corner of their windows. Phenomenally good couscous but unlike the days when I was a student in Paris and prices were laughably low, today fairly dear. Despite that, worth every hard paid Franc or Euro.

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby Anthony Silverbrow » Mon May 16, 2011 4:45 am

I had a good trip to Paris, but have to say was rather unimpressed by the kosher food I ate.

Shwarma at L'As du Falafel was utterly mediocre. There was no depth of flavour to the meat and the charif further slaughtered and already shechted lamb.

We bought some nice charcuterie, one lot in particular was from Panzers on Rue des Rosiers. A very tasty duck pate and some good, spicy chorizo. I'd hoped to buy something from Maison David, also in Le Marais, but as I was about to shovel a morsel of something in my mouth I asked what hechsher they have - they don't have any. I'm intrigued to know from anyone on this board if they know whether Maison David is kosher - and to what level.

Being a bad blogger I can't remember the name of the kosher place we ate in, but it was pretty forgettable - we went there for Friday night dinner.
Anthony Silverbrow
Cellar rat

Postby Yossie Horwitz » Mon May 16, 2011 8:37 pm

Did you happen to try Osmose? We were there last year and had a terrific experience, both from a culinary and service perspective.
Yossie Horwitz
Wine guru

Postby Anthony Silverbrow » Thu May 19, 2011 5:31 am

Yossie, no we didn't unfortunately. We got there late on a Thursday and left after lunch on Sunday, so not much opportunity. I tried to get in Motzei Shabbat but couldn't get through to make a reservation so decided not to risk it. It was a shame because apart from anything it was near our hotel.
Anthony Silverbrow
Cellar rat

Postby Gabriel Geller » Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:17 pm

In addition of being a true wine lover (and probably a bit frustrated one as I restrict myself to kosher wines exclusively) with even some professional background in the field, I'm also lucky enough to have had visited many of the best kosher restaurants around the world, and that includes Israel, USA, Switzerland, France, The Czech Republic (!), Italy etc. , I would be happy to share here my thoughts on some of the K restaurants worth a visit in Paris. I usually visit La ville des lumieres 1-2 a year and never miss the opportunity to try and re-try what its kosher food scenery has to offer.

If I had to list them in a priority order:

1. Le Jaguar - 96, rue de Levis 17eme arrondissemnt
2. Le Chateaubriand - 125, rue de Tocqueville 17eme arrondissement
3. La Brasserie du Belvedere - 109, avenue de Villiers 17eme arrondissement
4. O'You - 164, avenue Daumesnil 12eme arrondissement

All are quite expensive (especially Jaguar and Chateaubriand) though usually offer a great culinary experience to kosher keepers.

At Le Jaguar, I recommend the Egg Blancmange with its black truffle juice and goose liver escalopines, the lamb as entree and the red fruits crumble to finish the meal with a sinful sweetness on the palate. The wine list is also quite extensive but the Sarget de Gruaud-Larose 2003 and Chateau Piada 2001 (Sauternes) put apart, you'll be better off focusing on the israeli options, not very original indeed but showing wisely selected choices by the house sommelier (Castel, Yarden, Recanati SR, Avnei Hachoshen..). By the way, dear Rogov, if you read this post,the sommelier told me to my great surprise on my last visit that he had in stock a few bottles of kosher Chateau Lafite-Rotschild which I never heard of before but due to its naturally scandalous price I didn't even dare to ask him if I may just see it. Do you know if they had indeed produced one or more kosher vintages? Not to the best of my knowledge anyway, but if someone would know that would be definitely you.

Le Chateaubriand is probably the kosher restaurant offering on its menu the largest and most-invested goose liver selection of dishes in the world. Apart from goose liver, both the fish and meat options are well worth a shot though your banker will probably call in tears, spoiling the rest of your trip begging you to return home immediately.

La Brasserie du Belvedere features one of the best duck confit I ever had the luck to taste and the choucroute they serve is not bad, but my opinion is biased as my mother probably makes the best one could possibly dream of.

As for O'You, go without hesitation for either the entrecote or a cote de boeuf.

And most importantly: Bon appetit et sante!

One last word for Daniel Rogov: Congrats on the event in your honor tonight at TLV's Dan Panorama, you definitely deserve it. Thanks for being the kosher wine's best advocate and THE ambassador of the Israeli Wine in the world. Chapeau bas!
Gabriel Geller
'So-called' wine expert

Postby Daniel Rogov » Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:49 pm

Gabriel, Hi and Welcome to the Forum...

Great commentaries. Thanks. As to the kosher Lafite-Rothschild, I've done a good deal of hunting and have never turned up any of these. Me wondereth if the sommelier may be mistaken?

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby Gabriel Geller » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:29 am

Hi Daniel, I'm almost sure you're right, but if making a mistake is human, that guy was exaggeratedly human! Not that I'm not used to such behavior but this is what I like to call "le doux parfum de France"...
Gabriel Geller
'So-called' wine expert

Postby Trevor F » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:45 am

Still think that the best kosher restaurant in Europe is Lamalo in Antwerp. Fantastic meal there about 3 years ago, veal chop in apple sauce with pommes saute, all prepared by a Nepalese chef.
Trevor F
Ultra geek

Next

Return to Israeli and Kosher Culinary Corner