The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Cinq Cepages with free bugs in the bottle!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Cinq Cepages with free bugs in the bottle!

by Jenise » Sun Oct 22, 2006 12:37 pm

So I was pouring the 02 Cinq into a decanter Friday night and up popped this lump. For a second I thought it was a cork but no, it was deep purple like the wine, and rounded. And like an ice berg, there seemed to be more under the surface than was on top. So I grabbed another decanter and carefully poured the wine off and discovered that the blob was one very well soaked wasp. EW.

This is the first time that I've ever gotten a bug in a bottle of wine. I had to serve the wine, so I said nothing to anyone else and took poured just a teaspoon for myself. I know, I know, it had been dead for a long time but mentally I still couldn't drink it knowing what was in there so as far as I was concerned, it was $60 down the drain.

Disgusting on both counts.

Anyone else ever get a stowaway like this?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

Re: Cinq Cepages with free bugs in the bottle!

by Hoke » Sun Oct 22, 2006 1:12 pm

Oh, sure. It happens, but not all that often, thank goodness.

I'm a bit amazed that it got past the QC people at CSJ---but, truth told, since the trendy advent of 'non-fined and non-filtered' the occasional surprise of MOG (matter other than grapes) appearing in a bottle is more common than it used to be. Solids don't usually get past the various screens they use in most wineries.

You really don't want to dwell on what got screened out of the grapes and must, Jenise. Sometimes odd and disturbing things find their way into those all-too-natural grapes. :twisted:
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Oct 22, 2006 2:02 pm

MOG. Now there's a term I hope I don't have to use again, but I like it. As far as stuff that usually doesn't get past screens, I was wondering about that and thinking that this wasp might have simply been in the bottle. His legs were intact (hence I know wasp from bee) and they're pretty big bugs.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Sun Oct 22, 2006 2:43 pm

Could have been, Jenise. To me, that makes the QC even worse though.

The bottles are supposed to be sterilised and sparged before they go through the bottling line.

In any case, it was pickled wasp you had. Likely a delicacy in some places. "Oh, look, my beloved, we were so fortunate as to get the pickled wasp in our wine. Truly the gods must love us. According to our ancient tradition, you shall eat the head and I shall eat the nether regions and we will have endless nights of wedded bliss."

Did you by any chance have a Sting record playing softly in the background when you opened the Sink Seepage? :P
no avatar
User

DebA

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:11 am

N. of the equator

by DebA » Sun Oct 22, 2006 3:15 pm

Hoke wrote:In any case, it was pickled wasp you had. Likely a delicacy in some places. "Oh, look, my beloved, we were so fortunate as to get the pickled wasp in our wine. Truly the gods must love us. According to our ancient tradition, you shall eat the head and I shall eat the nether regions and we will have endless nights of wedded bliss."

Did you by any chance have a Sting record playing softly in the background when you opened the Sink Seepage? :P

OMG! That was great, Hoke! :cool:
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:18 pm

Most of the pickled wasps I see are episcopalians. :wink:
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

by Lou Kessler » Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:26 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Most of the pickled wasps I see are episcopalians. :wink:

The least you could do is capitilize Episcopalians, who by definition are Catholics who have flunked Latin.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:31 pm

Lou Kessler wrote:
David M. Bueker wrote:Most of the pickled wasps I see are episcopalians. :wink:

The least you could do is capitilize Episcopalians, who by definition are Catholics who have flunked Latin.

Whoops. That's what I get for posting pickled. But then I'm a Methodist. And I've always considered the Methodist church to be the island of misfit Catholics.
no avatar
User

Isaac

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:08 pm

Corvallis, Oregon

by Isaac » Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:02 pm

Don't Methodists still prohibit alcohol?
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:19 pm

Isaac wrote:Don't Methodists still prohibit alcohol?

Well, not really. They discourage it. I was a black sheep as a Catholic, and now I'm a black sheep as a Methodist. At least I am consistent.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:30 pm

Jenise wrote:This is the first time that I've ever gotten a bug in a bottle of wine. I had to serve the wine, so I said nothing to anyone else and took poured just a teaspoon for myself.

Note to self - watch Jenise veeery carefully when she decants wine - especially if she only takes a nominal pour (being so contrary to her nature as that is).

I was getting consistent hitchhikers in bottles of one particular vintage of Atlas Peak Sangio for awhile. Never sure what they were.....
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:11 pm

Bill, strange you mention Atlas Peak. That's the only other wine I've ever had that had stuff in the bottle (a 94 IIRC), and I had several bottles of the wine that were equally affected--looked like boiled egg white, actually. Is that what you might have had? Others at the time mentioned it too. So I called the winery to ask about it and they were instantly hostile in their denial--clearly they'd had other complaints and were going to deny that they'd bottled contaminated wine until the cows came home regardless of evidence to the contrary. I've never bought another bottle of their wine.
no avatar
User

Clinton Macsherry

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:50 pm

Baltimore MD

by Clinton Macsherry » Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:58 pm

Jenise wrote:Anyone else ever get a stowaway like this?

No critters on my end, Jenise, but I've had bottles with sizable stalky-stemmy things. One restaurant bottle of Clos Pegase Cabernet I remember in particular for its "free," five- or six-inch-long branch, replete with offshoots. A biggish stem portion from a grape cluster, from the looks of it. I was kind of surprised it made it into the bottle. I didn't notice it until toward the end, and the wine was rather good. I pointed it out to the server for future reference, but I didn't really have a complaint.
FEAR THE TURTLE ! ! !
no avatar
User

Ruth B

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:32 am

Alberta Canada

by Ruth B » Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:09 pm

Jenise wrote:looked like boiled egg white, actually.

Egg whites are fining agents so it might have been egg white! (which would appear pretty nasty I'm thinkin')

A winemaker (in his cups) once told me that wasps just add character to wine and it is probably good luck to get one in your bottle!

:roll:

Ruth
Ruth
Just North of Nowhere
Alberta Canada
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:15 pm

Ruth B wrote:A winemaker (in his cups) once told me that wasps just add character to wine

Geez - the last thing I want to be reminded of when I am trying to enjoy wine is my mother-in-law.... :?
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:25 pm

I have a bottle of fir liquer (yep...fir...as in fir tree...smells like Christmas) that has a fruit fly in it.
no avatar
User

Ruth B

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:32 am

Alberta Canada

by Ruth B » Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:36 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:
Ruth B wrote:A winemaker (in his cups) once told me that wasps just add character to wine

Geez - the last thing I want to be reminded of when I am trying to enjoy wine is my mother-in-law.... :?

ooooh--did you share this with Suze?
Ruth
Just North of Nowhere
Alberta Canada
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:48 pm

Ruth B wrote:
ooooh--did you share this with Suze?

It is on a need to know basis - and I need her not to know...... 8)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:17 pm

Ruth B wrote:
Jenise wrote:looked like boiled egg white, actually.

Egg whites are fining agents so it might have been egg white! (which would appear pretty nasty I'm thinkin')

A winemaker (in his cups) once told me that wasps just add character to wine and it is probably good luck to get one in your bottle!

:roll:

Ruth

That's how I figured it got there, Ruth, but the winery denied fining with egg white. I won't elaborate, but you're right about it looking nasty!

Brian Loring once told me about the same thing about the wasps as he emptied just-crushed grapes into a bin containing a few dead ones. "More protein for you!", he said. I guess I'm just too girly.
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:26 pm

Jenise:

Whatever you do, don't watch the movie "American Pie."

Trust me on this.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:16 pm

Hoke wrote:Jenise:

Whatever you do, don't watch the movie "American Pie."

Trust me on this.

You mean it's not about cooking? :shock:
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

by James Dietz » Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:56 pm

Wasp in wine... worm in Mescal.

What's the problem???? :lol:
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Isaac

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:08 pm

Corvallis, Oregon

by Isaac » Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:19 am

David M. Bueker wrote:Well, not really. They discourage it. I was a black sheep as a Catholic, and now I'm a black sheep as a Methodist. At least I am consistent.
I was married in a Methodist church. We had a reception there, nad were not allowed any alcohol. So we went around the room quietly inviting close friends and relatives to the post-reception party at my parents' house.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:31 pm

Isaac wrote:
David M. Bueker wrote:Well, not really. They discourage it. I was a black sheep as a Catholic, and now I'm a black sheep as a Methodist. At least I am consistent.
I was married in a Methodist church. We had a reception there, nad were not allowed any alcohol. So we went around the room quietly inviting close friends and relatives to the post-reception party at my parents' house.

Ah, that's different. You can't actually have alcohol in the church, but then they don't have proper glassware anyway.

I remember one of our prior ministers saying to me about my wine habit: "It's fine, as long as you are not a drunk." Luckily I am a geek.