The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: '95 CCR, '04 Beaujolais Chardonnay

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: '95 CCR, '04 Beaujolais Chardonnay

by Dale Williams » Sun Oct 22, 2006 7:59 pm

Saturday AM I opened freezer and a package slid out, almost breaking my toe. I survived, but decided that was the end of the ground lamb. Betsy was working and I made a simple lamb ragu to serve over linguine for my dinner. I went downstairs looking for a bottle of southern Italian wine,but emerged with the 1995 Felsina "Rancia" Chianti Classico Riserva . Floral nose, with rich black cherry and black plum fruit. Soft acidity fora Chianti, though certainly not flabby ala a few 1997s. With time some saddle leather and bitter chocolate notes emerge. I open this about 5 PM, and nurse till Betsy gets home at close to midnight. Towards the end the fruit is skewed a bit more towards kirsch. Round, plush, friendly, big Tuscan. B+

I told Betsy I'd take care of dinner tonight. I served a first course of ham & split pea soup I'd made a few nights ago, then got back to stove to do a haddock meuniere and cauliflower with garlic and anchovies (Bittman, simple enough for me to do). Wine was the 2004 JP Brun (Terres Dorres) Beaujolais Blanc. I usually love this wine,but this time only like it. Sweet pear fruit, but lacking in the minerality and verve I remember? Off-bottle, getting tired early (plastic cork) or the fact that I've got a slight cold (most likely latter). But still this is a B and great QPR (both Chambers Street and WineLibrary have this for under $9, I assume in anticipation of arrival of '05).

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.