2002 Allemand, Cornas

The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

2002 Allemand, Cornas

Postby Florida Jim » Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:46 pm

2002 Allemand, Cornas:
12.5%, no vineyard designates this year; reticent nose of raspberry and earth; dilute palate but with good balance and character that is of its place; without concentration or depth; medium, fully ready finish. Drink now. About $35.
Nothing to write home about but pleasant accompaniment to sausage ragu.
Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
Florida Jim
Wine guru

Re: 2002 Allemand, Cornas

Postby Bob Henrick » Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:45 pm

Jim, I am not sure whether I am off the track on wines like this or not, but IMO when a wine sells for $35, it should be worth at least a note home. It sounds to me that this wine might not have been any better than a $10 wine from Provence or other areas of the south of France. For $35 I can buy almost any of Steve Edmunds wines, (for example) and be pretty sure of getting a wine worth writing home about.
Bob Henrick
Bob Henrick
Kamado Kommander

Postby Rahsaan » Sat Oct 21, 2006 2:40 am

It sounds to me that this wine might not have been any better than a $10 wine from Provence or other areas of the south of France

Perhaps, but of course it won't be the exact same. Because of its origins.

That said, I feel the logic. Tonight $37 1998 LdH Bosconia Reserva is not really living up to its pricetag in my eyes. So..
Rahsaan
Wild and Crazy Guy

Postby Florida Jim » Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:48 am

Bob Henrick wrote:Jim, I am not sure whether I am off the track on wines like this or not, but IMO when a wine sells for $35, it should be worth at least a note home. It sounds to me that this wine might not have been any better than a $10 wine from Provence or other areas of the south of France. For $35 I can buy almost any of Steve Edmunds wines, (for example) and be pretty sure of getting a wine worth writing home about.

Agreed.
Still, never pass up a chance to taste.
Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
Florida Jim
Wine guru

Return to The Wine Forum