The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Kippis! Coteaux du Loir with Finnish meatballs, plus modern Bdx, etc

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Kippis! Coteaux du Loir with Finnish meatballs, plus modern Bdx, etc

by Dale Williams » Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:53 am

Wednesday we had an early dinner before Betsy's performance, a pasta with shrimp and tomatoes. I opened an 2005 Antinori "Campogrande" Orvieto Classico that I got from a Zachys sale for $5.99. Very lemony, crisp, a bit dilute. Not terrible, and probably worth the $6, but even at that price I doubt I would go back for more. B-/C+

Thursday Betsy unexpectedly had the night off, decided to make the Finnish meatballs recipe from Wednesday's NYT food section. Served them over egg noodles and with some green/wax beans (from deli) and a salad. What wine to serve with the meatballs (pretty similar to Swedish meatballs, very allspicey,though it had some cheese)? I thought of postign to ask Otto, but had little time and didn't know if these were authentic. I decided to go with light red, and chose the 2004 Domaine de Belliviere "Le Rouge Gorge" Coteaux du Loir. I believe this is Pineau with some Gamay. Light and lively, with an unusual floral aroma- kind of a combination of pottin soil and pine needles, reminds me of gardening. Raspberry & strawberry fruit, pleasantly sour. I quite enjoy this, but not a wine for everyone- if your tastes run only to fat sweet ripe reds this will have you running screaming from room. Develops quite an herbal note as it gets air. I like, B+/B

Over three nights I also sample the 2001 Ch. de Chambrun (Lalande de Pomerol). If your tastes run to fat sweet ripe reds this is the one for you (I like both wines personally). A little reticent at first , but after an hour (and on succeeding nights) it shows big crushed red berry fruit laced with chocolate and toasted oak. I like better each night, a big ripe low-acid Pomerol imitator with a thick velvety texture. Super-modern,but well done. There's some tannins that could use a little time, though I wouldn't try to age this 10 years. B+

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

Re: WTN: Kippis! Coteaux du Loir with Finnish meatballs, plu

by Saina » Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:19 pm

Dale, I really wouldn't know if the Finnish meatballs were authentic or not. :( I don't really know all that much about Finnish food. From what I've had from my grandparents, it all seems really bland (sorry Grandmas!!). My immediate family has always been into Asian foods rather (see my posts on pairing curry with Nebbiolo, lol!! that received some rather horrified replies?). My guess is that any wine that's a bit tannic or acidic (to cut the huge amounts of fat used) should do. But couldn't say more.

The Belliviere sounds nice - like I would enjoy it. But how did it go with food? It would be useful to know, as I'm sometimes expected to eat the "home cooking" as it is known.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: WTN: Kippis! Coteaux du Loir with Finnish meatballs, plu

by Dale Williams » Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:39 am

I found it to be a decent match. I think most lighter acidic reds or bigger acidic whites would be ok. This recipe included fair amount of allspice and some pepper, so not bland (though not of course curry spicy). We put it in the "do again" file.