Your pie fave?

Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

Re: RC: Sherry Cream Pie

Postby Mike Filigenzi » Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:37 am

Sounds great, Karen! Thanks for posting that.

Mike

"An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made, in a very narrow field" - Niels Bohr
Mike Filigenzi
Known for his fashionable hair

Re: Your pie fave?

Postby Karen/NoCA » Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:12 pm

Bob Henrick wrote:Thanks for looking it up and reposting here Karen. One last questions though...is the sherry a dry sherry or a sweet one? if you recall the name of the sherry you use, that might help too. Thanks again.

Good question Bob, I used dry Sherry, but I went to Linda Stradley's website as she had my recipe posted there and she posted cream sherry. Here is the link.

http://whatscookingamerica.net/SherryCreamPie.htm

My recipe only says "sherry". Either way, it is wonderful.
Karen/NoCA
Hunter/Gatherer

Postby Skye Astara » Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:18 am

I love blueberry and lemon meringue but my favorite is one I make sometimes with layers of cherries, pastry cream and sweet plums, lattice top, with a rich cream cheese crust.

Looking at the description, it has the potential to be way too sweet but it is all from scratch of course, and not too sweet at all. I don't like things very sweet, I like to be able to taste the balance of the flavors.
For the scientist, as for the poet, there are as many levels of wonder in the silent beat of a butterfly wing as in the howl of a wolf.
-Douglas H. Chadwick.
Skye Astara
Wine geek

Postby MikeH » Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:06 pm

Jenise wrote:I also love pumpkin made from fresh pumpkin....

I'll second that one. This time of year Cindy makes a couple from pie pumpkins. Yum!!!
Cheers!
Mike
MikeH
Wine guru

Postby Anders Källberg » Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:45 pm

I'm with you, Larry. The tart acidity of a rhubarb pie balanced by the sweetness of (preferably Muscovado) sugar and a good vanilla ice cream is so delicious.
Then I would like to place a vote for a well made Quiche Lorraine too. You never said the pie had to be sweet...
Cheers, Anders
Anders Källberg
Wine guru

Postby James Roscoe » Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:08 pm

Someone kill this thread! It makes me drool with hunger every time I read it. My keyboard needs to be rreplaced. I love pie!
.....we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain -- that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom -- and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth. A. Lincoln
James Roscoe
Chat Prince

Postby TimMc » Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:05 pm

I'm still waiting for a recipe for maple walnut pie. :)
TimMc

Postby Leslie D. » Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:48 pm

Larry Greenly wrote:Mmmm...Berry pie....

I once won a state fair award with my concord grape pie, which tastes much like blueberry pie.

Could you share your recipe for Concord Grape Pie?

Grape Pie is one of my favourites, the recipe I use is good but there's always room for improvement.

The last wild blueberry pie of the season was made week before last, grape pies were last week, and this week is apple since the Northern Spy apples are in. But I'll also be making pumpkin for Thanksgiving, probably the Ginger Streusel variation from Epicurious.
Leslie D.
Wine geek

My Mom's Homemade Butterscotch Cream Pie

Postby Jeff in Halifax » Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:18 pm

Oh, no, I'm hungry again..... :lol:
You should care about what you drink - you do put it in your mouth, don't you?
Jeff in Halifax
Wine geek

Re: My Mom's Homemade Butterscotch Cream Pie

Postby Carrie L. » Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:00 pm

Way late to the party here, but I love pie, so have to chime in...

In order of preference:

Blueberry
Peach
Pumpkin
Chocolate cream made with real chocolate pudding and real whipped cream -- a blast from the past

Truth be told though, I probably wouldn't pass up any piece of pie set in front of me. (Maybe mincemeat -- never had it, but it just doesn't sound good. :shock: )
Carrie L.
Golfball Gourmet

Postby Christy M. » Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:33 pm

I grew up on fruit pies. My grandmother and mother both loved to bake and my grandparents were just blocks away from our house in a small town in Central Washington that grows lots of tree fruit (for those curious enough it was E. Wenatchee). So, I ate loads of fruit pie growing up.

My grandmom/mom's apple pie is just heavenly, especially warm. Pear is near the top of my list too. My recent favorite is huckleberry pie made with huckleberrys from my 94-year old grandfather's garden.

To me, pie is part of my childhood and part of my family, particularly my mother's side of the family. We had it for birthdays candles and all (who needs cake where there's fruit pie?), Thanksgiving, and those many nights we went to my grandparents for dinner, a visit and a hand of pinnochle.

It's taken me awhile to get used to the fact that some people don't like fruit pie. My husband is one of those people. He didn't grow up on pie. Still I've converted him to one pear pie a year....not a bad start for someone who doesn't like fruit pies. And it's only the beginning. :D
Christy
Christy M.
Wine geek

Postby Bill Hooper » Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:32 am

Key Lime.

But I'm partial to Pumpkin during the holidays.

Bill
Bill Hooper
Wine guru

Postby MtBakerDave » Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:39 am

Any kind of pie. Sweet, savory, creamy, fruity. Just give me pie!
MtBakerDave
Ultra geek

Postby Howie Hart » Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:30 am

Carrie L. wrote:(Maybe mincemeat -- never had it, but it just doesn't sound good. :shock: )

Don't let the sound fool you. Its one of my favorite containing mostly raisins, chopped apples and lots of spices. The name is a bit misleading, as I believe there is some type of dried meat in the mixture, but doesn't really do much to the flavor. Mincemeat and pumpkin are the traditional Thanksgiving favorites at our house. Hmmm... I've never made one, so I think I'll Google a recipe or look it up in Joy of Cooking and make one this year.
Howie Hart
The Hart of Buffalo

How many can I list?

Postby Cynthia Wenslow » Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:06 pm

In order of preference:

Blackberry
Sour Cherry
Sour Cherry and Blueberry together (fantastic!)
Peach
Rhubarb (no strawberries, please)

And, of course, I would not turn down chocolate cream, lemon meringue, coconut custard, Dutch apple, or raspberry :lol:

Oops! Edited to add pumpkin!
Cynthia Wenslow
Pizza Princess

Postby Carrie L. » Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:50 am

Carrie L. wrote:
(Maybe mincemeat -- never had it, but it just doesn't sound good. )

Howie wrote:
Don't let the sound fool you. Its one of my favorite containing mostly raisins, chopped apples and lots of spices. The name is a bit misleading, as I believe there is some type of dried meat in the mixture, but doesn't really do much to the flavor. Mincemeat and pumpkin are the traditional Thanksgiving favorites at our house. Hmmm... I've never made one, so I think I'll Google a recipe or look it up in Joy of Cooking and make one this year.

Hmm. See, none of it sounds good really. I don't like raisins at all, and a little spice is okay, but a lot of spice, no. Throw in a dried meat of any kind, and you've completely lost me. But I'm happy you like it, Howie. :D
Carrie L.
Golfball Gourmet

Previous

Return to The Forum Kitchen