dining near ramat gan?

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, welcoming foodies to discuss the dining scenes in Israel and abroad, along with all things related to kosher food.

dining near ramat gan?

Postby Harry J » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:54 pm

Bsd. Can anyone help with a place to dine realitively near ramat gan if meat glatt if dairy of equivalent level. Open to style,only specific re the kashrut. Thanks. H
Harry J
Wine guru

Re: dining near ramat gan?

Postby Daniel Rogov » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:20 pm

Harry, Hi....

With all due respect to those who demand glatt kosher meat, it is widely known that there are no truly fine restaurants keeping that level of kashrut. Best bet if fine dining is in order is to seek a dairy and fish-based restaurant and worth keeping in mind that Tel Aviv is only five minutes from Ramat Gan. My highest recommendations for kosher restaurants at which one can dine entirely on dairy and/or fish dishes go to Lilith and Deca. I have dined at both twice in the past two weeks and have been delighted at each visit.

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby Harry J » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:52 pm

Ok maybe not fine,how decent?h
Harry J
Wine guru

Postby Daniel Rogov » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:51 pm

Harry, Hi....

Simple places or petentious but bad places like these are not the kinds of restaurants I visit as either a restaurant critic or for my own pleasure. Hopefully, others on the forum may be able to help.

I do ask though..why not Lilith or Deca?

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby Harry J » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:51 pm

Perhaps a language barrier due to the varried continents from which these conversations take place.A place thats simple and kosher.No not a bad place;definitely not interested in a bad place.But to say that nothing exists other than those 2 which are probably quite expensive which is why im not tempting myself to follow up on them;seems like there has got to be something..[img][/img]
Harry J
Wine guru

Postby Daniel Rogov » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:42 pm

Harry, Hi.....

Not so much a question of language barriers but of defining what is of acceptable and what is expensive.

Both Deca and Lilith have fixed price business lunches for NIS 79 (about $22) per person, those including first course, main course and either mineral water or a soft drink. Several quite good wines are also available by the glass. Dinner, including first course, main course and dessert will cost about NIS 150 per person (about $41) per person. Consider that even a halfway decent and far simpler restaurant will cost at least three quarters of that. Many of the simpler places lack both the charm of these places and their good service. Part of the problem is that many of the simpler places, especially those that consider themselves glatt kosher offer food that is quite simple, not always up to standards and because they feel they have a captive audience, very often overpriced.

I do hope one of our forum members will come up with some good suggestions.

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Return to Israeli and Kosher Culinary Corner