The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Domaine Laguerre “Le Ciste” Vin du Pays des Cotes Catalanes 2003

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dave Erickson

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:31 pm

Asheville, NC

WTN: Domaine Laguerre “Le Ciste” Vin du Pays des Cotes Catalanes 2003

by Dave Erickson » Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:20 am

I love the wines of Roussillon. This seems like the last place in France where winemaking remains “uncivilized.” Winemakers here seem both resolute in their desire to highlight the terroir of their region and open to experimentation of all kinds. In earlier posts, I’ve praised the wines of Gerard Gauby, widely considered the leading winemaker of Roussillon, whose all-organic approach is proved out in the extraordinary quality of his wines.

Now comes Eric Laguerre, who has successfully partnered with Gauby in the past, and is now offering wines under his own name. Laguerre’s family has grown grapes in the Fenouillet region—sort of a sub-appellation of the Cotes des Catalanes—for decades. He took over the family’s 150 acres ten years ago, and decided to pursue strict organic policies (much as Gauby has done). This is only the third vintage of “Le Ciste,” and if his wines are already this good, then the future looks bright for him.

Domaine Laguerre “Le Ciste” Vin du Pays des Cotes Catalanes 2003: On the nose, notes of milk chocolate, red berries, black cherries, and sweet herbs. On the palate: fresh plum, leather, sweet tobacco, cherry, and a quiet yet persistent acidity to keep the flavors lively. On the finish: More fresh purple plum, dried cherry, and cedar notes. About $16.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: WTN: Domaine Laguerre “Le Ciste” Vin du Pays des Cotes Catalanes 2003

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:46 am

The Roussillon rocks! Will look up the Wine Doctors page on this area for you.

Here it is, look in right hand column!............

http://www.thewinedoctor.com
no avatar
User

Dave Erickson

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:31 pm

Asheville, NC

by Dave Erickson » Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:15 pm

How about that. Thanks for the link!
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:33 pm

Dave,

I almost bought a Laguerre wine about a month ago. It seemed that the name was something like Vin du Pays Pyrenees Oriental (sp?). I considered it for quite a while, but gave it a pass because I seem to have bad luck with the juice from the region. When faced with a choice I tend to run for the safety of the d'Or, Loire, and Bordeaux.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:45 pm

Dave, I did some more research for you. Decanter has a tasting panel discussing Roussillon in the Sept issue and I think you can access by visiting http://www.decanter.com and click on "Recommendations". You can see all previous panel tastings.

**** yup, its there.