Matzoh cake meal?

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, welcoming foodies to discuss the dining scenes in Israel and abroad, along with all things related to kosher food.

Matzoh cake meal?

Postby Jenise » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:28 pm

I just looked at a recipe for a "flourless" chocolate torte, and was surprised to see matzoh cake meal listed among the ingredients. I'm familiar with matzoh meal of course, but I've never/seen or heard of the cake meal before--I presume it's matzoh meal in a finer grind, but perhaps it's more than that. Too, it's entirely likely that it's not something available in my neck of the woods, but I'm still curious about it's usefullness as a replacement for refined white flour. Has anyone here ever used it in this manner, and what would the resulting flavor/texture be?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
Jenise
FLDG Dishwasher

Re: Matzoh cake meal?

Postby Daniel Rogov » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:38 pm

Jenise, Hi....

Indeed cake quality matzoh meal or matzoh flour is nothing more than very finely ground matzot and is generally so identified on the package. Let's put it this way though - if it looks as fine as regular flour, it can be used as cake flour.

But, do I have news for whomever wrote that recipe. That recipe is anything but flourless because matzo in its purest form (either as dough or once baked) is made entirely from flour, the major distinction being that it has come in contact with nothing that would make it ferment or rise. Thus, the concept of unleavened bread.

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby Jenise » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:18 pm

Daniel Rogov wrote: That recipe is anything but flourless because matzo in its purest form (either as dough or once baked) is made entirely from flour

Yes, I guessed that, hence my putting the word 'flour' in quotes but on the other hand thought maybe there was something I didn't understand, otherwise why make/have/use finely ground matzoh at all. Because it's kosher?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
Jenise
FLDG Dishwasher

Postby Daniel Rogov » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:32 pm

Jenise, Hi....]

Regular flour is also kosher so that is not the problem. Matzoh flour is not so much kosher as it is specifically kosher for the holiday of Passover when observant Jews refrain from eating any product that has leavened flour in it.

There are actually a few recipes improved by the use of matzoh flour - e.g. macaroon cookies, as a baked base for fish carpaccio or tartare. As to the famed matzoh-balls that can be found in chicken soup, don't use cake quality matzoh flour as you will wind up with matzoh-balls so dense that they would probably "take out" even the most resistant of Iranian nuclear facilities.

Heck, they say that Israel has nuclear weapons. Insignificant. Believe me, if we were to bomb the world with matzoh-balls will put even the neutron bomb to shame. Despite which, from time to time I adore a steaming bowl of chicken soup with matzoh-balls.

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby Charlie Dawg » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:19 pm

What kind of matzoh-balls do you prefer, Daniel, hard or soft?
You are what you eat.
Charlie Dawg
Ultra geek

Postby Daniel Rogov » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:28 pm

On the firm side, offering a bit of resistance to the teeth but not so dense that I might consider using them as weapons.

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Return to Israeli and Kosher Culinary Corner