The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

TN: Christopher Creek Syrah '05 RRV

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

TN: Christopher Creek Syrah '05 RRV

by John Treder » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:18 pm

Very much Syrah with lots of black pepper and very dark fruit typical of CA. Excellent fit with lamb chops, spinach and a Mediterranean-style pilaf. Bought at the winery, 14% alcohol. The bottle says "Grown, Produced and Bottled ...". They're on Limerick Lane, (the first "i" is long), about a mile uphill from Foppiano, just south of Healdsburg. $25 at the tasting room in 10/07.
I liked this wine at the tasting room and bought it, yet I wasn't impressed with their stuff overall. It did smooth out over the couple of years, if I can trust my memory. I guess I'd give it a B+. Good wine, decent value, yet I won't go chasing back to see about some more right away.

John
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Yup...

by TomHill » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:29 pm

Yup, John...pretty much my experience w/ the CC wines..decent...but not much to excite. The Syrah is the best
of their tableau. The PetiteSirah also pretty decent.
Theirs is one of the very early plantings of Syrah in Sonoma (assuming they didn't have to replant due to phylloxera)
and was first produced back in the mid-'80's under the RanchoSotoyome label, the original land grant name.
Tom
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Santa Rosa, CA

Re: TN: Christopher Creek Syrah '05 RRV

by John Treder » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:16 pm

Whatcha doin? Chasing down old posts just for the fun of it?

Now that I live closer, I might venture up Limerick Lane again. I do like the eponymous winery's old vine Zin, though it's a bit on the pricey side.

John
John in the wine county
no avatar
User

R Cabrera

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:14 pm

NYC

by R Cabrera » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:40 am

A blast from the past for me. I used to frequent and buy from both neighboring wineries of Christopher Creek and Limerick Lane when I used to live in SFO several years ago. I did prefer the Limerick Lane wines, though.
Ramon Cabrera
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Santa Rosa, CA

by John Treder » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:38 pm

"I used to live in SFO several years ago."
Boy, I'd sure hate to live in an airport! :twisted:

John
John in the wine county
no avatar
User

R Cabrera

Rank

Wine guru

NYC

by R Cabrera » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:01 pm

OK, I should stop using that for Sanfran.
Besides, I used to live in airports during my work-travelling-days and made communications easier when refering to towns/cities/countries by their airport abbrev.
Ramon Cabrera
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Santa Rosa, CA

by John Treder » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:14 pm

I suppose it does make for brevity, at least amongst those who know all the major airports in the world.

Your post sort of tickled my fancy - I had a sort of vision of a homeless guy sleeping on the floor, like a stranded traveler.
(It wouldn't really surprise me if that actually happens.)

John
John in the wine county
no avatar
User

Joe Moryl

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:38 pm

New Jersey, USA

by Joe Moryl » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:48 am

If you are a true budget traveler then you might know www.sleepinginairports.net! I'm not sure how SFO rates.....
no avatar
User

R Cabrera

Rank

Wine guru

NYC

by R Cabrera » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:06 pm

John Treder wrote:Your post sort of tickled my fancy - I had a sort of vision of a homeless guy sleeping on the floor, like a stranded traveler.
(It wouldn't really surprise me if that actually happens.)

It does happen.
Here is a link to a movie based on a true story of somebody sleeping in an airport.
The other link, also based on a movie, provides context about a corporate traveller with airport and airlines becoming the focal point of his everyday existence.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Terminal
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Up_in_the_Air_(film)
Ramon Cabrera
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Santa Rosa, CA

by John Treder » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:37 pm

Once upon a time, back in the 70s, I spent a week at O'Hare on two separate occasions. I was an IBM engineer, and we were testing an automated ticketing machine. I was the guru of the credit card reader, and it was amazing the things that went on. For instance, there was the bag lady who tried to stick orange peels into the credit card slot.
Then in the mid-90s, I was flying to Japan, Hong Kong, Singapore, Malaysia and Thailand two or three times a month.
Those experiences formulated my opinion: Flying wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for the airports.

John
John in the wine county
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:37 pm

John Treder wrote:Once upon a time, back in the 70s, I spent a week at O'Hare on two separate occasions. I was an IBM engineer, and we were testing an automated ticketing machine. I was the guru of the credit card reader, and it was amazing the things that went on. For instance, there was the bag lady who tried to stick orange peels into the credit card slot.
Then in the mid-90s, I was flying to Japan, Hong Kong, Singapore, Malaysia and Thailand two or three times a month.
Those experiences formulated my opinion: Flying wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for the airports.

John

John

While with IBM, did you ever make it to Lexington. We had/have a fair sized IBM operation here. Of course at the time of which you speak, the operation here was engaged in making the Selectric typewriter. I have a friend here who was in procurement then and knew by rote memory every part number in that old machine.
Last edited by Bob Henrick on Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Santa Rosa, CA

by John Treder » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:30 pm

Bob,
No, I never did get to Lexington. I was in San Jose, and I did get to Raleigh and Endicott.
Early in my IBM career, I was working on a prototype of a credit card reader and sales slip imprinter that never did get to market. I tore apart a Selectric to see how it worked and what I could use to drive the imprinter. The clutches and cams were simply fascinating to a mechanical engineer!

John
John in the wine county