The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Two Pinot Noirs new to me

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

WTN: Two Pinot Noirs new to me

by JC (NC) » Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:54 pm

Also posted on another board

These were tried in 3-oz. pours at Enoteca Vin Restaurant in Raleigh with a Sunday brunch (brown butter shrimp with mixed greens, Laura Chenel chevre and ripe olive tapenade) Prices are retail per bottle at Carolina Wine Company

2004 TURNER AND COLE RESERVE "ADELAIDE HILLS" PINOT NOIR, AUSTRALIA 14% alcohol
$16.99
This has been hyped recently by CWC. It was a bit paler, less dense than the Eric Ross wine; not opaque; a burgundy color. Violets on the nose. Quite aromatic. Immediate first impression was that I like this better than any of the N.Z. Pinot Noirs I've tried to date. It was not heavy tasting but showed a fairly lengthy finish. Dark cherries on the palate with a touch of mild pepper. Gives a chewier, fuller texture when held in the mouth before swallowing. Quite nice. (I received a small tasting pour the next day at Carolina Wine Company shop and got more berries on the nose and palate--strawberry, yes; cranberry, maybe.)

2001 ERIC ROSS "SARALEE" VINEYARD PINOT NOIR, RUSSIAN RIVER VALLEY, CA 14.2% alcohol (near Forestville)
aged in French oak $24.99
slightly darker, denser than the Turner & Cole P.N.
Unable to get much nose with swirling (small 3-oz. pour in a large Burgundy glass made it more difficult to get near my nose but I think the Turner & Cole was more aromatic.)
Loved it on the palate. Reddish brown color; not opaque. More nose after 15 minutes in the glass. Tart on the finish with mild pepper. Seamless texture. Both Pinots were balanced for fruit, acids, tannins. Slightly preferred the Eric Ross Saralee but feel that both wines are worth their retail price. Both have a lengthy and pleasant finish. Both suggest Burgundy more than does the average New World Pinot Noir. The Eric Ross had a very slight smokiness that differentiates it from the Turner & Cole (perhaps from aging in French oak).
I was thinking that they were both about $25 but the Turner & Cole is only $16.99. I bought a bottle of the Eric Ross to take home but may snatch some of the Turner & Cole on my next trip if it is still around.
Thumbs up on both wines which enhanced the brunch.
no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

Re: Two Pinot Noirs new to me

by Florida Jim » Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:12 pm

JC,
Although I'm not sure about his own label, Eric Ross has given up all his pinot noir under the Rabbit Ridge label and I suspect he will do likewise with his own. To quote his wife, "it just wasn't our thing."
Nonetheless, 'glad you enjoyed it.
Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:30 pm

Sorry to hear that. I'm a fan of the Eric Ross Occidental Old Vine Zinfandel but would like to see the Saralee Pinot Noir continue also.
Also, the name Eric Ross is a combination from two people--which one is the winemaker, do you know?
no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

by Florida Jim » Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:31 am

JC (NC) wrote:Sorry to hear that. I'm a fan of the Eric Ross Occidental Old Vine Zinfandel but would like to see the Saralee Pinot Noir continue also.
Also, the name Eric Ross is a combination from two people--which one is the winemaker, do you know?

JC,
My mind is slipping; Eric Russel owns Rabbit Ridge and has his own label; he was the one I was refering to. Eric Ross is someone else - well, at least I think he is, but these days its hard for me to keep track . . . :shock:
Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars