High quality glatt kosher restaurant in or near Teaneck

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, welcoming foodies to discuss the dining scenes in Israel and abroad, along with all things related to kosher food.

High quality glatt kosher restaurant in or near Teaneck

Postby Mike BG » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:41 am

Can anyone recommend a high quality glatt kosher restaurant in or near Teaneck? I shall be taking out some relatives who are very fussy about the kashrut and I gather there are a few different kashrut bodies active in the area.

Many thanks,
Michael
Mike BG
Ultra geek

Re: High quality glatt kosher restaurant in or near Teaneck

Postby Yossie Horwitz » Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:04 pm

Don't know about the level of Kashrut, but ETC in Teaneck is pretty good.
Sign up for my weekly newsletter on wines, wineries & other oenophilic goodies at http://www.yossiescorkboard.com
Yossie Horwitz
Wine guru

Postby Daniel Rogov » Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:27 pm

Mike, Hi...

I'm all for those who want to keep kosher but from an halachic point of view, the term "glatt kosher" refers only to meat products. Sadly, some have come to use the term to refer to a "higher" level of kashrut but I find that rather a chutzpah because then we get into the rather false issue of what is "glatt" or "kasher le mehadrin" when it comes to anything but meat products.

Why not simply seek out a fine kosher restaurant that specializes entirely in fish and dairy based dishes?

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby Mike BG » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:45 pm

Daniel Rogov wrote:Why not simply seek out a fine kosher restaurant that specializes entirely in fish and dairy based dishes?

I would, but our guests want a meat restaurant!

We thought we would go somewhere more local (we are in Monsey) but in the end we will be going to Mike's Bistro - braving the journey into New York again!

We have actually taken guests there twice so far on this trip and we and our guests thoroughly enjoyed it both times.
Mike BG
Ultra geek

Postby Daniel Rogov » Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:34 pm

Enjoy!!! I have also dined at Mike's and found it most pleasant.

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby Yossie Horwitz » Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:55 pm

Mike's is a great choice - I highly recommend calling in advance and ordering the Chef's tasting menu - its a little pricey but very good and lots of fun.
Sign up for my weekly newsletter on wines, wineries & other oenophilic goodies at http://www.yossiescorkboard.com
Yossie Horwitz
Wine guru

Postby Mike BG » Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:12 pm

Yossie H wrote:Mike's is a great choice - I highly recommend calling in advance and ordering the Chef's tasting menu - its a little pricey but very good and lots of fun.

We did that on a previous trip and it was really great, and as you say, it really was fun as well. Now we know more about what they do we just order off the regular menu. We've found it fun that way too!
Mike BG
Ultra geek

Postby Yossie Horwitz » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:45 pm

Agreed - we have also found that the appetizer's offer far better value and much more interesting dishes. we go quite often and find ourselves making meals out of appetizers alone a lot.
Yossie Horwitz
Wine guru

Postby Shlomo R » Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:48 am

I tend to enjoy myself a little TOO much at Mike's - we're old schoolmates. One of the times my wife and I went there (on our wedding anniversary), my wife wound up alone at the table while I climbed up onto the roof of the walk-in box to take a look at something that was worrying Mike (it was nothing). My wife forgave me, and we've gone back since.
http://www.chailifeline.org/events/Bike ... rosenzweig - cycling 175 miles to raise money for summer camp for kids with cancer - doing it again in 2014!
Shlomo R
Ultra geek

Postby Mike BG » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:50 am

Well, we've just returned home from Mike's and it really was good. None of our guests had ever been there and they all enjoyed it. I don't think I've ever been there twice in a week, and this visit we made it three times - but no regrets!
Mike BG
Ultra geek

Postby Charlie Dawg » Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:38 pm

Can you tell me a little bit more about the place, I mean like location, contact info, please.
You are what you eat.
Charlie Dawg
Ultra geek

Postby Shlomo R » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:25 am

Charlie Dawg wrote:Can you tell me a little bit more about the place, I mean like location, contact info, please.

Mike's Bistro, 228 West 72nd Street, Manhattan, NY. Phone number 212-799-3911.
http://www.chailifeline.org/events/Bike ... rosenzweig - cycling 175 miles to raise money for summer camp for kids with cancer - doing it again in 2014!
Shlomo R
Ultra geek

Postby Charlie Dawg » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:30 pm

Thank you very much. WIll check it out next time I'm there.
You are what you eat.
Charlie Dawg
Ultra geek

Return to Israeli and Kosher Culinary Corner