The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Two very different Southern Rhones

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

OW Holmes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:57 pm

Grand Rapids, MI

WTN: Two very different Southern Rhones

by OW Holmes » Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:36 pm

Consistent with past years, for finals night of the NCAA tournament I opened a young CdP to see how they are coming along. This year, the 1998 Vieux Telegraph La Crau CdP. I remember opening a bottle in 2002 and it was absolutely disgusting. Thin, angular, no fruit whatsoever, acidic, and smelled like a medicine cabinet with too old liquid medicine seriously dripped all over. Two years later, coming around a bit. This year - what a difference. This wine was downgraded by Arpie probably because it was not a fruit bomb, and it isn't. First night, when Florida kicked the crap out of UCLA, it was a bit on the thin side, with some dark cherry fruit showing, a bit of spice, and a tiny hint of rhone funk. Perfectly proper rhone style wine - perfect with the spiced steaks we had, even though I would place it on the el egant side. Tonight, as I wait for the women's NCAA finals to see Duke kick the crap out of the Terps, WOW, more rhone funk showing, more dark fruit, tremendous mouthfeel, in perfect balance, but clearly this has a ways to go before it shows all that secondary stuff. I'll dip into my remaining stash only after a couple more years.

My retailer talked me into trying a 2003 rhone, which I had been resisting because of the hot season and everything I'd read, but he was having a real special on 2003 Perrin Reserve CdR so I took a bottle. I have to say that this is a bit low on both acidity and rhone funk, and a bit short, but what a splash of red and black fruit and it certainly tastes like CdR is supposed to taste. This is one CdR maker that uses Cinsault in the blend, along with the usual suspects, and it may just add a touch of complexity missing from most. Not an ager (it did not improve the second day and was actually a bit more tannic) but a wonderful BBQ wine. I went back for a case. Why not, at $7.08 a bottle?
-OW
no avatar
User

Clinton Macsherry

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:50 pm

Baltimore MD

Re: WTN: Two very different Southern Rhones

by Clinton Macsherry » Thu May 04, 2006 1:52 pm

OW Holmes wrote: ...Tonight, as I wait for the women's NCAA finals ...

Kick the what out of who, now???
FEAR THE TURTLE ! ! !
no avatar
User

OW Holmes

Rank

Wine guru

Grand Rapids, MI

by OW Holmes » Thu May 04, 2006 1:57 pm

Oops. Not a good year for the blue devils.
I was beginning to think you didn't care, Clinton.
-OW
no avatar
User

OW Holmes

Rank

Wine guru

Grand Rapids, MI

by OW Holmes » Fri May 05, 2006 1:30 pm

I'm not familiar with Domain Servans, John, but that's the highest rated CdR I think I've ever seen. Also the highest rated I've seen for a wine under $9.00. I'd say drink it up, and tell us a) whether you like it and b) where to get it......
I've had a couple of more bottles of the Perrin Reserve CdR, and it is not one I'd recommend if you want the effect of the terroir on the wine. I'm sure this is an overgeneralization, but I suspect that very few 2003's will show the terroir as well as the great years from 98 to 01, or what I am beginning to hear about 04.
-OW