The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2001 Martinelli Pinot Noir California.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

WTN: 2001 Martinelli Pinot Noir California.

by Bob Ross » Sat Oct 14, 2006 1:35 am

2001 Martinelli Zio Tony Ranch Pinot Noir Russian River Valley California. Alcohol 15.6%. Deep red color, deep hue, beautiful dark cherry and wild strawberry nose, light spice and a bit of earth, intense pure fruit tastes with light acidity and just a bit of oak, mild, well integrated tannins, excellent balance, incredibly long finish with strong fruit, spice and earthen notes -- Janet: “This wine is just as good – maybe better – than two weeks ago. A big Pinot Noir, not my usual preference, but this one was so rich and delicious, I could forgive it anything. A wonderful wine for a Friday the Thirteenth. Great with pasta at Brooklyn Pizza. 5*.
no avatar
User

AaronW

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:45 pm

Just south of SLC

Re: WTN: 2001 Martinelli Pinot Noir California.

by AaronW » Sat Oct 14, 2006 1:58 am

Bob Ross wrote:2001 Martinelli Zio Tony Ranch Pinot Noir Russian River Valley California. Alcohol 15.6%. Deep red color, deep hue, beautiful dark cherry and wild strawberry nose, light spice and a bit of earth, intense pure fruit tastes with light acidity and just a bit of oak, mild, well integrated tannins, excellent balance, incredibly long finish with strong fruit, spice and earthen notes -- Janet: “This wine is just as good – maybe better – than two weeks ago. A big Pinot Noir, not my usual preference, but this one was so rich and delicious, I could forgive it anything. A wonderful wine for a Friday the Thirteenth. Great with pasta at Brooklyn Pizza. 5*.

Pretty well balanced even with all that alcahol aye, Bob?
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Sat Oct 14, 2006 6:57 am

I had the opportunity to taste the 2001 Martinelli Blue Slide Ridge Pinot and I was fully prepared not to enjoy it due to high extraction, low acidity and uber alcohol in the 15.5% range. Boy, was I pleasantly surprised. My experience with the BSR pretty much mirrored Bob's outing with the Rio. So much for expectation or perhaps bias is a better wors.
Redwinger
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

by Lou Kessler » Sat Oct 14, 2006 7:51 pm

Bob Ross wrote:2001 Martinelli Zio Tony Ranch Pinot Noir Russian River Valley California. Alcohol 15.6%. Deep red color, deep hue, beautiful dark cherry and wild strawberry nose, light spice and a bit of earth, intense pure fruit tastes with light acidity and just a bit of oak, mild, well integrated tannins, excellent balance, incredibly long finish with strong fruit, spice and earthen notes -- Janet: “This wine is just as good – maybe better – than two weeks ago. A big Pinot Noir, not my usual preference, but this one was so rich and delicious, I could forgive it anything. A wonderful wine for a Friday the Thirteenth. Great with pasta at Brooklyn Pizza. 5*.

You're getting easier to please as you get older. I just can't get myself to accept that type of Pinot. OVER THE TOP!!!!!!!!!
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Sat Oct 14, 2006 7:58 pm

I thought so too, Lou -- but it was delicious, and I didn't notice the alcohol. Strange how I can like that and some of the much more delicate and complex Burgundies.
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

by John Treder » Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:03 pm

Well, heck, the wine you described ain't the same stuff as a classic Burgundy!

Different wine, different expectations.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:26 pm

Absolutely, John. Frankly, Lou is right in this sense -- it would be very, very hard to say a typical Burgundy (whatever that is) and this Martinelli have in common.

But I love the Burgundies, and like the Martinellis. Go figure.
no avatar
User

Tom N.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:17 pm

Soo, Ont.

by Tom N. » Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:22 pm

Bob Ross wrote:But I love the Burgundies, and like the Martinellis. Go figure.

Interesting observation, Bob. I am the same way. I love big CA pinots like Brian Loring makes and nice elegant burgundies. As a matter of fact, a couple of weeks ago I had a 2003 1 cru from Mercurey and then a 2003 Loring Pinot (Cargasacchi) two days later. Loved them both. Had both with fresh grilled salmon. Both matched up well, but I would have to say the primier cru was a somewhat better food wine. I think that each wine has features that I really like, and I don't put any preconceptions on how a pinot should taste, just that I have to like the way it does taste and how it matches with food.
Tom Noland
Good sense is not common.