Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

I see the light

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

I see the light

by Larry Greenly » Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:14 am

We invariably have a couple of candles burning when we eat dinner. I particularly like the effect and feel it adds to the ambience of the meal.

Stashed away in our boxes are literally hundreds of candles that I acquired through garage sales or store sales.

A few months ago, a store was moving and I spied a cart full of nice tapers for 9 cents apiece, so I bought 100.

Some years ago at a garage sale in Minnesota I found some really nice dripless candles that were only slightly used in weddings. The woman was selling them for 25 cents apiece, but I convinced her that I was a garage sale junkie and knew that candles did not sell well in Minnesota garage sales. I offered her $3 for all of them. After haggling, we settled on $4. I wound up with 225 candles. And I'm still using them.

So...do you use candles for dining?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: I see the light

by Jenise » Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:38 am

Yes!!! But for about one six month stretch where we had to stop because our then-new and bullheaded young Persian would jump onto the table for attention and catch fire (he had no sense of his own width), we've always loved the ambience of candlelight at dinner. We also find that we spend more time at the table, eating slowly and lingering to chat for an hour or the rest of the evening, when we eat by candlelight.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:27 pm

Yes, every dinner together.

We have been making a concerted effort the past year or so to make every meal together as a household community a mini-celebration of life, as it should be. Life is short and time with loved ones is precious.

With all the various schedules in the household (mostly paramedics and flight medics), we end up all being home for a connected dinner only about twice a week. Thankfully we are all food and wine people so one of us is always in the mood to create something wonderful.

We also usually have flowers on the table, and always use a tablecloth and cloth napkins.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:34 pm

Cynthia Wenslow wrote:....We have been making a concerted effort the past year or so to make every meal together as a household community a mini-celebration of life, as it should be. Life is short and time with loved ones is precious.....

Amen :wink:
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:26 pm

Larry Greenly wrote:So...do you use candles for dining?

No. I've watched too many episodes of "Keeping Up Appearances", I guess. :)

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:14 pm

Paul Winalski wrote:

No. I've watched too many episodes of "Keeping Up Appearances", I guess. :)

-Paul W.

Paul, being unaware of episodes of anything so named, I'm not sure if I and others have been called a name or not. Several possibilities come to mind: 1) you have assumed way too much about why other people enjoy candlight, 2) it's a self-deprecating remark about your own preference for dining in front of the TV wearing only your underwear, or 3) there's a really good show on that we should be watching. :)
Which is it?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

DebA

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:11 am

N. of the equator

by DebA » Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:50 pm

Yes, we use candlelight for meal times, wine times and to add "love light" to any evening together. I couldn't agree more with Cynthia that life is much too short not to cherish the moments we have with each other and we do our very best to do so everyday in some form or fashion. I'm also very fond of setting the table with elegant table linens and fresh flowers. I believe that anything "special" we may possess should be used often on our loved ones, not just brought out for annual occasions or guests. :cool:
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:52 pm

I never heard of it, either. At any rate, we always have our blinds closed, so only Edie and I can see each other dining by candlelight. Plus we have our chandelier on (dimmed) so we can see what we're eating. We do it even we're having just mac and cheese. Our motto: candles are for burning.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:21 am

With the winter storm and no power, we had the candles burning all night long. :(
no avatar
User

DebA

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:11 am

N. of the equator

by DebA » Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:58 am

Howie Hart wrote:With the winter storm and no power, we had the candles burning all night long. :(

Oh my, I hope the power has been restored by now, but candles can provide warmth too, Howie...if you stand really close to them! :cool:
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:18 am

Howie Hart wrote:With the winter storm and no power, we had the candles burning all night long. :(

When I was visiting PA this past June there was a hellacious storm that knocked out power. Over the vigorous protestations of my mother I lit a small, short emergency candle in the middle of a plate far away from any flammable items. She was scared to death of the thing.

A year ago, the house across the street burned because of a candle, but I had to remind her that the lady had placed a candle on the windowsill next to her curtains (and some wind blew the curtains over the flame)--DUH!--and that our candle was not going to jump off the plate and set our house on fire.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:32 am

My son called from my house and said the power has just been restored. Not so at my mother-in-law's though, so we'll be going back home in a little bit.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:50 pm

I'm really late coming to this thread ... it must have been a busy week. :)

We have a similar problem to Jenise involving a couple of cats who think it's all right to get up on the table, and at one point when there was a particularly playful kitten around here, we gave up the candle thing entirely. Now that he's bigger and more set in his ways, we ought to bring it back.

One good solution, particularly effective for people who share their house with cats but attractive regardless, is to pick up an old-fashioned glass "hurricane chimney" and put the candlestick inside it. We got a beauty from Shakertown at Pleasant Hill, one of Kentucky's restored Shaker villages, that's not in the usual coke-bottle curvy shape but just a straight-sided, heavy cylinder of hand-made glass, just ripply and flawed enough that it shoots off interesting highlights from the candle flame. Put an attractive, old-fashioned candle holder in it, and maybe a real beeswax candle, some flowers on the table, and it's the next best thing to eating dinner at a fancy restaurant. I really need to dig out that hurricane and start using it again.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Sat Oct 14, 2006 1:09 pm

Never.

(Well, hardly ever -- in case of power blackouts, we use candles -- and Rockland Electric has figured out how to give us five days of those a year on a pretty regular basis.)

They hurt my eyes, and we even put out the candles on our table in restaurants. Maybe she's just humouring me after so many years, but Janet no longer likes them either.
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Sat Oct 14, 2006 4:33 pm

You and my husband must have been separated at birth.
They hurt his eyes also. Not only that, he can't stand the smell of any scented candles-- especially citronella, nor can he stand the smell of a candle that has just been snuffed out.
He humors me, and doesn't balk when I light them for entertaining, but, to be nice, I carry them outside to blow them out. When we have one at our table in a restaurant, I usually move it off to the side, and closer to my side of the table.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Sat Oct 14, 2006 4:43 pm

None of the smells bother me, Carrie, but they do bother Janet. So, I have to put them out carefully, or tuck them behind something.

What's really kind of funny is how the wait staff stops by to relight them or to deliver a burning candle from another table.

Janet and I are well met. :-)
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:03 am

That has happened to us also, Bob, when we unlight a particularly flickery or agressive flame. The servers always do seem puzzled when we tell them, "It's okay, we really don't need it re-lit."

You and Janet certainly do seem well-met. :)
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

Your question......

by John Tomasso » Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:29 am

reminded me of this email I sent to my brother about a year ago. It was still in my "sent" file:

Luke, I thought you might want to know how you impacted my dinner last night.

We had another couple over last night for dinner. We were opening some good wines, eating some good food, and everything was going along just swell, and then......

The candle that Cindy was using as a centerpiece, a rather large, cylindrical affair that YOU APPARENTLY GAVE HER, decided to go nuts. Hot, liquid wax began running, and I do mean running, down off the top of the candle and onto the table, spreading out, lava like, all over the tablecloth. Luckily, we didn't panic. No wine was spilled. Wait, I'm lying. Cindy knocked over a glass, but that's pretty normal so I'm not certain the candle had anything to do with it. Anyway, thanks for the lovely candle. Please consider our safety when selecting gifts in the future.

J
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

Re: Your question......

by Bob Ross » Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:47 am

John, that is priceless -- thanks so much. Your email resonates with me in so many ways.

Great job! Regards, Bob