Sometimes Its Good To Be Jewish

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, welcoming foodies to discuss the dining scenes in Israel and abroad, along with all things related to kosher food.

Sometimes Its Good To Be Jewish

Postby Daniel Rogov » Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:23 am

Oy…sometimes its good to be Jewish!!! The other day, on visiting my local butcher's shop I saw one of the young butchers cleaning about a dozen geese. To my surprise, he was removing the skin and trimming the fat of each of the geese and when I asked was informed that this was the way the client had ordered them. Just why anyone would want their geese skinless and fatless eludes me but fair enough, for when I asked what was to be the fate of the skins and fat I was told that they would be relegated to the garbage pails.

Believe me, not Freud, not Einstein, and not Woody Allen could accept such a thing. Indeed there was no way I would allow that to happen, so I requested those discards, had them packed (no charge for either the skins, the fat or the wrappings) brought them home and made both schmaltz and gribenes.

For those sadly uninformed, schmaltz is rendered goose fat and gribenes (or if one prefers cracklings) the further rendered chunks of solid material that remains in the skillet. The schmaltz goes for use not only in cooking but for spreading, as is, with nothing more than a bit of salt on the best challah or country style white bread that one can find and the gribenes, popped into the mouth with the fingers are one of life's truest and greatest delicacies. .

To play just a bit on words, to feast on gribenes and to spread schmaltz on fresh, thick sliced challah is to know that God's in her heaven and all's well on earth. As to cholesterol and fat content one simply does not question such things when feasting on gribenes and schmaltz

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Re: Sometimes Its Good To Be Jewish

Postby Shlomo R » Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:01 pm

AMEN!!
It's been a long time since I made gribenes.
http://www.chailifeline.org/events/Bike ... rosenzweig - cycling 175 miles to raise money for summer camp for kids with cancer - doing it again in 2014!
Shlomo R
Ultra geek

Postby David Raccah » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:22 am

Sorry boss - cannot get myself to eat that stuff! Love goose/duck fat, and many think it is a possible substitute for butter or cream, when needed in a kosher recipe. I think the flavor of duck/goose fat is lovely but not a substitute for the richness,buttery, and sometimes nutty flavor that butter bestows on a recipe.
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
David Raccah
Wine guru

Postby Charlie Dawg » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:42 pm

Ah, that would be a dream come thru. I haven't seen goose for sale in this part of the world in years, well, ever I should say. Duck is available during holydays sometimes, but that is it. Wow.
You are what you eat.
Charlie Dawg
Ultra geek

Return to Israeli and Kosher Culinary Corner