The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: New Calif Syrahs...(long/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: New Calif Syrahs...(long/boring)

by TomHill » Sun Apr 02, 2006 4:49 pm

We tasted last night (3/22/06) Some New Syrahs:
1. ThreeRivers of WallaWalla ColumbiaVlly Syrah (14.3%; http://www.3RiversWinery.com) 2001: Dark
color; rather smokey/toasty/dusty/meaty slight herbal rather blackberry/blueberry/
Syrah some roasted/espresso bit alcoholic nose; soft meaty/pungent/smokey earthy/dusty
licorice/blackberry/Syrah flavor; med.long meaty/smokey light pungent/roasted fairly
blackberry finish w/ some tannins; needs several yrs; very attractive classic WashState
Syrah at a good price. $24.00
toasty/oak/Rhonish flavor; very long toasty/roasted/pungent very ripe/blackberry/Syrah
slight earthy/dusty finish w/ some tannins; needs several yrs; very/very good WashState
Syrah w/ some ersatz/Rhonish character. $29.00
boysenberry/jammy flavor; very unpleasant bitter/astringent/sour light boysenberry/
overripe finish w/ some/lots(?) tannins; sorta OK nose but terrible on the palate;
grossly overextracted; DNPIM. $28.00
burney flavor; fairly tannic hot/fumey/alcoholic overripe/poysenberry/jammy/Syrah finish;
way too fumey and overextracted; an IncredibleHulk wine. $36.00
med.long very ripe/grapey/plummy/boysenberry some tannic finish; not as fumey/alcoholic
as the other two; very overripe/porky and overpriced. $38.00
slight toasty/oak flavor; med.long boysenberry/blackberry/cola some Paso/jammy bit earthy
finish; packed w/ ripe/Paso fruit but some other things therein; interesting/ripe Syrah.
$29.00
ripe/simple/blackberry/Syrah finish w/ little tannins or structue; rather interesting nose
but falls way short of delivering on the palate. $32.00
blackberry/peppery/Syrah finish w/ modest tannins; quite a lot of oak, maybe a bit overdone.
$24.60
charred/oak flavor; med.long rather toasty/charred/oak strong/ripe/blackberry/Syrah finish
w/ some tannins; needs several yrs; seems a bit short on the mid-palate; interesting
rendition of BienNacido Syrah but a bit overpriced.
$41.00 (LA)
toasty/smokey/oak flavor; med.long peppery/blackberry/Syrah light toasty/pungent/Rhonish
finish w/ some tannins; very attractive/interesting Syrah. $36.00
pepper intense blackberry/spicy/Syrah some tannic flavor; very long cracked black pepper/
roasted/espresso intense blackberry/Syrah finish w/ ample tannins; needs 2-6 yrs; a terrific
Syrah w/ lots of NR character; great value at $30.00
espresso/meaty intense blackberry/spicy/Syrah bit toasty/oak flavor; very long roasted/
pungent/toasty/smokey intense blackberry/Syrah finish w/ ample tannins; needs 3-8 yrs;
a bit like an Alban, a bit like an AlainGraillot w/o the searing acidity; terrific Syrah.
$48.00
floral/aromatic/perfumed cherry/cola/bright fruit finish w/ light tannins; a very lovely
perfumed/aromatic Syrah rather Pinotish in character.
tannic flavor; med.long toasty/charred/FrOak rather tannic light herbal/Cab some blackberry/
Syrah finish; needs much age; speaks way more of Napa Cab than Syrah; very pricey at $54.00
your tongue betwixt the jaws of a vise and torquing that sucker down. The wines seem to be
consistently overripe and alcoholic. I'll probably stay on the Club list for another
year and see what develops.
The Hanna is easily the best I've had from that AVA. This Blue*Rock had a pretty interesting
nose, but it fell flat on its face when it hit the palate.
oak, but plenty of fruit as well. From the Site (http://www.EnkiduWines.com), the owner/winemaker
is Phillip Staehle, formerly of Carmenet. Dog's (golden lab) is, of course, Enkidu. He also
makes NapaVlly/FazekasVnyd PetiteSirah and SonomaCoast/KainbarellVnyd PinotNoir. I'll
probably try those as well.
but it comes out tasting more like their Cab than a Syrah. I think there are some really
outstanding Napa Syrahs being made (Lagier-Meredith, Rocca, AshleyHeisey, EhrenJordan); but
none by any of the big-name Cab producers. Probably the Shafer Relentless is the best of
that ilk. A few yrs ago, at the HdR seminar on his Syrahs, I pointedly asked RandyLewis
what his experience of making quality NapaCabs brought to the Syrah table. He spoke a few
words, but it was pretty much a non-answer. Maybe these folks should stick to their Cab-
making and leave the Syrah to folks who really understand the grape. End of rant.
I've pretty much followed Foxen wines from the very start. They used to be slammed w/
a ton of new/toasty French oak. The Foxen boys have since gotten far away from that paradigm
and are now making some of their best wines ever, I think. Their dry CheninBlanc is one of the
best made in Calif.
Tom
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

Cold Heaven

by Redwinger » Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:27 pm

Tom,
Isn't Cold Heaven the venture put together by Morgan Clendenen (the better half of Au Bon Climat's Jim Clendenen)? Any idea if she has any distribution outside of California?
Thanks.
Redwinger
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Yup.....

by TomHill » Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:21 am

Morgan Clendenen, Jim's spouse, is the one behind ColdHeaven (see last week's LATimes article on her & LouisaLindquist). Originally, it was all about Viognier, but she now seems to be edging into a full Rhone portfolio.
I know she does have some distribution outside Calif. Probably thru the same distributors that AuBonClimat uses I would guess.
Tom
no avatar
User

rumpole

Rank

Wine geek

Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:16 pm

Washington State

WallaWalla producers

by rumpole » Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:30 pm

Tom,

Thanks for the notes. Will be visiting WallaWalla in May for new releases. Is their a Syrah producer(s) there you hold above the others? I will visit K Vintners (an annual visit), Cougar Crest, and Isenhower Cellars.
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Other WashState Rhones...

by TomHill » Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:35 pm

I did a post about a month ago on the tasting I did of WashState Rhones... back on the Netscape WLDG board. If you can't track them down, let me know & I'll e-mail you my notes. I liked the WalterDacon and BaselCllrs ones quite a bit.
Tom
no avatar
User

rumpole

Rank

Wine geek

Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:16 pm

Washington State

WalterDacon

by rumpole » Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:53 pm

Thanks Tom, I think I do remember that post and will find it. I too enjoy WalterDacon and help out at the winery (5 miles from my home) on occasion. The 2004s are very nice as well! :D
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

Foxen

by JC (NC) » Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:27 pm

Read in one of the wine mags that Foxen is developing a style of Chardonnay with less oaking and malolactic--letting the grapes speak for themselves. That's a style I would like to sample from California. Will try the Syrah if I get the opportunity.