The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Home winemakers: Hardy Minnesota cultivars

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

Home winemakers: Hardy Minnesota cultivars

by Paul B. » Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:01 pm

I've just been browsing this page from the University of Minnesota detailing a few of the state's foremost new-generation hybrids expressly developed for wine production in a continental North American climate. To be sure, the trial plantings and research were done in Minnesota, but it stands to reason that the varieties in question will see use in other neighboring states as well as, potentially, in parts of northern Ontario and certainly in Quebec (Frontenac, for example, is well established there already).

In addition to the main wine grapes (Frontenac, Frontenac Gris and Marquette) are the table/juice varieties, which are multi-purpose by nature (e.g. Edelweiss is already well known as a midwestern white labrusca wine grape).

I found the site overall to be most enjoyable. It is good to know that continental-climate viticulture has an increasingly brighter future with every tested release that makes it into general distribution.
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

David Creighton

Rank

Wine guru

Wed May 24, 2006 10:07 am

ann arbor, michigan

Re: Home winemakers: Hardy Minnesota cultivars

by David Creighton » Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:03 pm

one of our MI wineries has produced the first 100% frontenac wine i know of. It is very good! i've heard it claimed that the new red hybrids are much superior to the older ones in that they are much more vinifera like in their flavors - and this one certainly bears that out. Longview Winery - Rustic Red ( joins the 100% Cayuga Rustic White - also super wine)
david creighton
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:15 pm

Thanks David. I don't mind if new, super-hardy grapes come out that taste like vinifera - as long as that's what will get them popularized, then so be it. We really need to get viticulture and wine culture in general established in our general society, and varieties that can take the climate are what's needed to make that happen.

I love the old hybrids and of course labrusca, but I can't help cheer these new developments. I would sure love to try a varietal Marquette some time. I had my last Frontenac in 2001 - can't believe it's been so many years.
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

by Bill Hooper » Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:24 pm

Hey Paul,

I have yet to see Marquette on retail shelves down here (strange writing 'down here' in Minnesota), but I'm on the case. You haven't had Frontenac in five years? There have likely been huge gains in the grape since 2001. I have half a mind to toss some over the border for you! :D

Prost!
Bill