WTN: 2002 Bdx and Clos Roche Blanche #5

This forum will be used as a read-only archive for older WTN posts and other archival material from The Wine Forum.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

WTN: 2002 Bdx and Clos Roche Blanche #5

Postby Dale Williams » Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:34 pm

With pasta and pesto, the 2004 Clos Roche Blanche "Numero 5" Sauvignon (Touraine). Rich Sauvignon catpee/gooseberry nose, with some grapefruit/Fresca© notes over gooseberry and green apple fruit (I like Fresca, the only soft drink I ever buy). A little too cold at first, as it warmed some mineral/flinty notes appeared on a fairly long finish. Now, at some point I seem to have some memory (real? imagined?) that an earlier vintage of the #5 was supposed to be a section that got some botrytis, but I don't get any sign of that here. What I do get is some rich ripe deep Sauvignon Blanc fruit (to tell you the truth, blind I would probably guessed NZ, but damn good NZ), but with the mineral notes adding a lot of complexity.  Nice interesting wine. B+

As noted before, I picked up a half-bottle of the 2002 Pagodes de Cos (St. Estephe) for $9 since I had quite liked the 2002 Cos d'Estournel. Opened a half while baching it Thursday. Lots of oak, and surprisingly big/hard tannins for a second. But there's quite a bit of cassis and blackberry fruit. Might be decent if the oak integrates in a few years. I might pick up a few more 375s next time I'm through Scarsdale for 2010 or so, but if they sell out before I get there I won't cry. B/B-

With a small steak and a red-wine & shallot sauce, the 2002 Ch. Lagrange (St. Julien). Dense deep blackcurrant/cassis fruit, earth and leather on the nose, but not quite as expressive as a few months ago - I think this is shutting down a bit. At moment a B/B+, but this is an excellent structured wine for the price ($22) that needs to allowed to rest a bit.

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.  
Dale Williams
Compassionate Connoisseur

Re: TN: 2002 Bdx and Clos Roche Blanche #5

Postby Bill Buitenhuys » Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:55 pm

I've yet to have any '02 bordeaux, Dale. It sure looks I'd either better hurry up or be patient until they reopen.
Bill Buitenhuys
Wine guru

Postby Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:06 pm

How long you been here Bill? 32 posts eh!! Anyway I am in at last. Thanks for the heads up.
I was just beginning to understand the old place, now I have to start all over again!!??
How on earth are we going to do WT101 here??
Off to try to buy some Garretson, who is in town for 2 days. Gonna try to meet him!
Bob Parsons Alberta
aka Doris

Postby Robin Garr » Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:11 pm

Dale Williams wrote:Clos Roche Blanche

Gotta love those guys!

Glad you made it in, Dale!
Robin Garr
Forum Janitor

Postby Otto » Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:52 am

A pity to hear that some 02s are closing down. I've really enjoyed some of them, most recently two rather New Wordly wines: Mouton and Lunch-Bags. Both were open and wonderful wines. The 02s aren't quite as much to my taste as the 01s but still I like them very much. They're relatively cheap too, which is always nice ;)

Otto
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
Otto
Musaroholic

Postby Dale Williams » Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:43 pm

Otto Nieminen wrote:A pity to hear that some 02s are closing down. I've really enjoyed some of them, most recently two rather New Wordly wines: Mouton and Lunch-Bags. Both were open and wonderful wines. The 02s aren't quite as much to my taste as the 01s but still I like them very much. They're relatively cheap too, which is always nice ;)

Otto

Price has been one of the primary attractions to me. The L-Bages showed pretty poorly at our 2002 vertical, but that was one bottle- glad to know it's better than that. In addition to the Lagrange, my favorites (at various price points) have been Sociando, Cos d'Estournel, and Pape Clement. I own and like Leoville Poyferre and Barton, but I think they have shut down hard from reports from friends. Latour was head and shoulders above other wines at our horizontal, but it's got enough buzz that prices are 10-20% above other 1sts.
Dale Williams
Compassionate Connoisseur

Return to WTN Archives