The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Recent tastes

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

WTN: Recent tastes

by Florida Jim » Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:37 am

2002 Martinsancho, Rueda:
Spicy, clean, focused and long; lovely with appetizers. Drink now.

2000 Thomas, Pinot Noir:
Youthful with a substantial salty-mineral element on the nose and palate, crisp acidity, elegant fruit, good length. Good now but, likely, better later.

2002 Dom. Chantemerle (Boudin), Chablis Fourchaume:
Viscous but delineated, layered but integrated, intense without being overdone; and utterly Chablis. All the paradoxes and balance of a great wine in its youth.

N/V Zardetto, Proseco:
Light, barely sweet and zesty, medium bead, good acidity, and terrific with sweet potato soup.

2002 Terres Dorees (Brun), Beaujolais L’Ancien VV:
Like it was bottled yesterday with no hint of reduction and plenty of acidity. Solid but showing young. Hold.

2004 Dom. Pepière (Ollivier), Muscadet Clos des Briords VV:
Clean, precise, perfumed and mouth-watering; like drinking from a mountain stream. As it warms, it takes on more character and depth but retains focus. Still showing very young but surely one of the finest white wines I have had in some time. Breathtaking.

Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

Re: Recent tastes

by Redwinger » Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:22 am

Florida Jim wrote:2002 Martinsancho, Rueda:
Spicy, clean, focused and long; lovely with appetizers. Drink now.

2000 Thomas, Pinot Noir:
Youthful with a substantial salty-mineral element on the nose and palate, crisp acidity, elegant fruit, good length. Good now but, likely, better later.

2002 Dom. Chantemerle (Boudin), Chablis Fourchaume:
Viscous but delineated, layered but integrated, intense without being overdone; and utterly Chablis. All the paradoxes and balance of a great wine in its youth.

N/V Zardetto, Proseco:
Light, barely sweet and zesty, medium bead, good acidity, and terrific with sweet potato soup.

2002 Terres Dorees (Brun), Beaujolais L’Ancien VV:
Like it was bottled yesterday with no hint of reduction and plenty of acidity. Solid but showing young. Hold.

2004 Dom. Pepière (Ollivier), Muscadet Clos des Briords VV:
Clean, precise, perfumed and mouth-watering; like drinking from a mountain stream. As it warms, it takes on more character and depth but retains focus. Still showing very young but surely one of the finest white wines I have had in some time. Breathtaking.

Best, Jim

Jim,
Thanks for the notes. I've been trying to let my Briords get a few years rest in the cellar. However, based upon your notes that is becoming an increasingly difficult strategy to follow.
Thanks again.
BP
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

Re: Recent tastes

by Florida Jim » Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:53 am

Redwinger wrote:I've been trying to let my Briords get a few years rest in the cellar. However, based upon your notes that is becoming an increasingly difficult strategy to follow.

Bill,
This was the first bottle from the case and I will now stash the rest for later years.
But then, I have enough Muscadet to last many years so I have something to drink in the interim. Having just brought my inventory up to date and having just finished my new cellar (what a nice feeling), I see that I have 50 bottles of Muscadet, not counting the Briords. Lucky me.
Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars