Shmil

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, welcoming foodies to discuss the dining scenes in Israel and abroad, along with all things related to kosher food.

Shmil

Postby Daniel Y » Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:52 am

Daniel,

As a new member and big fan, I feel compelled to share my views on Shmil BeMaabada that I had the misfortune to eat at recently.
I took a group of 25 during Sukkot based on several recommendations.
Without exception, all 25 of us had terrible meals. The food was bland and ordinary.
We met friends there from abroad who told us it was the worst meal they'd had ever!!
I urge you to reconsider your recommendation.

While talking about J'lem, do you have a view on Angelica and HeChatzer?
Thanks
Daniel Y
Cellar rat

Re: Shmil

Postby Daniel Rogov » Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:54 am

Daniel, Hello and Welcome to the Forum....

Not that I am writing two wine columns weekly for HaAretz and am no longer the newspaper's restaurant critic, my visits and re-visits are far further apart. Despite that, I too ate at Shmeil's a short while ago and found it very disappointing. As to HaChatzer, also visited fairly recently, bottom line is "perhaps not worth a special visit but pleasant enough for those who live or work in the area. I have not visited Angelica.

Apropos of what you write, perhaps worth perusing the thread at viewtopic.php?f=30&t=35198 in which we discuss what seems to be a downhill slide at many restaurants.

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Return to Israeli and Kosher Culinary Corner