I buy lentils from Indian Harvest. This soup was my first try using lentils. I have since tried green, and a few others. I recall this soup (from their website) as being very tasty. Not a salad recipe as you asked for, but you might want to check their website.
Preparation time 30 mins to 1 hour
Cooking time 30 mins to 1 hour
Red Lentil Soup
55g/2oz unsalted butter
1½ tbsp grated fresh ginger
¼ tsp each ground allspice, ground cumin, and chilli powder
½ tsp each curry powder and ground coriander
2 onions finely chopped
1 parsnip, chopped
1 stick celery
1kg/2¼lb carrots, sliced
85g/3oz split red lentils, rinsed
25g/1oz long-grain rice
1.7 litres/3 pints vegetable stock
400ml/14fl oz tin coconut milk
2 tbsp fresh lime juice
3 tbsp chopped coriander
1. Melt the butter in a heavy-based pan and add the ginger, allspice, cumin, chilli powder, curry powder, and ground coriander.
2. Cook over a low heat for three minutes, stirring continuously.
3. Add the vegetables, stir to combine, and cook for a further eight minutes.
4. Stir in the lentils and rice before adding the stock.
5. Bring to the boil and simmer for 30 minutes or until the vegetables are tender and the lentils have started to break down.
6. Blend the soup in a liquidiser or food processor until smooth.
7. Return to the heat and add the coconut milk, lime juice, and coriander.
8. Heat through but do not let it boil again.