The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Best Under the Radar Wines?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

BenM

Rank

Wine geek

Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:18 am

Long Island

Best Under the Radar Wines?

by BenM » Sat Oct 07, 2006 6:54 am

Given the vast number of wines available to the average consumer - what do you consider to be some of the best under the radar wines out there right now (even taking into account the price-to-quality ratio).
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

Re: Best Under the Radar Wines?

by Paul B. » Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:05 am

Ben, much depends on one's location - but here in Ontario I buy a lot of our local wines.

Not every winery is equal in the quality of their wines, but I find that a well made Baco Noir or Marechal Foch (French hybrid varieties that are extremely well suited to our climate) are excellent table wines that go really well with pizza, ribs, lasagna and your typical American-Italian fare. The best ones are invariably dry and have some oak.

D'Angelo Estate near Windsor makes what I believe to be Ontario's best Old Vines Foch today. I had a 2002 last week and it was amazing given just an hour of decanting.

Malivoire is the torch-bearer for Foch in Ontario, but I think that their quality has slipped in recent years and the prices have risen. I will be very keen to try their 2005 OVF, however, due to the greatness of that vintage for our local reds.
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

BenM

Rank

Wine geek

Long Island

by BenM » Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:08 am

Excellent

What about here in the states? I am in the NY area and as a wine director I am always reaching out to and speaking with our clients to find out what they like and whatthey perceive as a good value
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:14 am

Ben, since you're in NY, you're in luck: Look for the French wines imported by Louis/Dressner and the Italian wines imported by John Given.

This combination will give you enough really interesting, excellent QPR wines to last you for a good long time.

Also get to know the folks at Chambers Street Wines, who handle most of Dressner's stuff. I don't know if they have John's, but if you strike out on finding the Given Italians, let me know, and I'll get you contact info.

I realize this isn't exactly the list of specifics you asked for, but trust me, this advice will make you happy.
no avatar
User

BenM

Rank

Wine geek

Long Island

by BenM » Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:26 am

I am always looking to add good value to my custoemrs any contacts would be appreciated

are they listed in Bev Media?
no avatar
User

RonicaJM

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:43 pm

Dallas, TX

by RonicaJM » Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:26 am

I don't know if this is the kind of info you are looking for, but Cycles Gladiator makes a great Cabernat Sauv. and Syrah for about $10 each. I have been wine shopping in lots of different places lately and this wine isn't widely available (yet).
In vino veritas...
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Sat Oct 07, 2006 8:43 pm

I think many (most?) of the Louis-Dressner wines in NY are available through Polaner.

What type of restaurant do you have? It's not as useful to suggest great Beaujolais if you have a steakhouse.
no avatar
User

John S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:12 am

British Columbia

by John S » Sun Oct 08, 2006 2:23 am

One that comes to mind is the Wynns Black Label Cabernet. It's $20 here in Canada, so should be available for less than $15 in the States, I'd imagine.

While the style has changed a little bit in the last few years (it's a bit more approachable now), it is the only sub $20 CAD red wine that can age for 10-12 years easy. And it's remarkably consistent too. The 2002 is probably the weakest in a while (in Coonawarra in general), but it's still a reasonable wine.

Another Aussie, the Tahbilk Marsanne is another QPR winner. It's another $18 CAD wine that's remarkably consistent, and can age for 10 years.

I have several Cotes du Rhones and CdR Village wines that I buy regularly too - that's probably my favorite QPR wine style.