Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Your pie fave?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

Re: RC: Sherry Cream Pie

by Mike Filigenzi » Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:37 pm

Sounds great, Karen! Thanks for posting that.

Mike
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Re: Your pie fave?

by Karen/NoCA » Fri Sep 22, 2006 2:12 pm

Bob Henrick wrote:Thanks for looking it up and reposting here Karen. One last questions though...is the sherry a dry sherry or a sweet one? if you recall the name of the sherry you use, that might help too. Thanks again.

Good question Bob, I used dry Sherry, but I went to Linda Stradley's website as she had my recipe posted there and she posted cream sherry. Here is the link.

http://whatscookingamerica.net/SherryCreamPie.htm

My recipe only says "sherry". Either way, it is wonderful.
no avatar
User

Skye Astara

Rank

Wine geek

Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:38 pm

Coastal Oregon

by Skye Astara » Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:18 am

I love blueberry and lemon meringue but my favorite is one I make sometimes with layers of cherries, pastry cream and sweet plums, lattice top, with a rich cream cheese crust.

Looking at the description, it has the potential to be way too sweet but it is all from scratch of course, and not too sweet at all. I don't like things very sweet, I like to be able to taste the balance of the flavors.
For the scientist, as for the poet, there are as many levels of wonder in the silent beat of a butterfly wing as in the howl of a wolf.
-Douglas H. Chadwick.
no avatar
User

MikeH

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:07 pm

Cincinnati

by MikeH » Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:06 pm

Jenise wrote:I also love pumpkin made from fresh pumpkin....

I'll second that one. This time of year Cindy makes a couple from pie pumpkins. Yum!!!
Cheers!
Mike
no avatar
User

Anders Källberg

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:48 am

Stockholm, Sweden

by Anders Källberg » Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:45 pm

I'm with you, Larry. The tart acidity of a rhubarb pie balanced by the sweetness of (preferably Muscovado) sugar and a good vanilla ice cream is so delicious.
Then I would like to place a vote for a well made Quiche Lorraine too. You never said the pie had to be sweet...
Cheers, Anders
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:08 pm

Someone kill this thread! It makes me drool with hunger every time I read it. My keyboard needs to be rreplaced. I love pie!
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

TimMc

by TimMc » Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:05 pm

I'm still waiting for a recipe for maple walnut pie. :)
no avatar
User

Leslie D.

Rank

Wine geek

Sat Mar 25, 2006 3:40 pm

by Leslie D. » Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:48 pm

Larry Greenly wrote:Mmmm...Berry pie....

I once won a state fair award with my concord grape pie, which tastes much like blueberry pie.

Could you share your recipe for Concord Grape Pie?

Grape Pie is one of my favourites, the recipe I use is good but there's always room for improvement.

The last wild blueberry pie of the season was made week before last, grape pies were last week, and this week is apple since the Northern Spy apples are in. But I'll also be making pumpkin for Thanksgiving, probably the Ginger Streusel variation from Epicurious.
no avatar
User

Jeff in Halifax

Rank

Cellar rat

Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:16 pm

Halifax Nova Scotia

My Mom's Homemade Butterscotch Cream Pie

by Jeff in Halifax » Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:18 pm

Oh, no, I'm hungry again..... :lol:
You should care about what you drink - you do put it in your mouth, don't you?
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

Re: My Mom's Homemade Butterscotch Cream Pie

by Carrie L. » Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:00 pm

Way late to the party here, but I love pie, so have to chime in...

In order of preference:

Blueberry
Peach
Pumpkin
Chocolate cream made with real chocolate pudding and real whipped cream -- a blast from the past

Truth be told though, I probably wouldn't pass up any piece of pie set in front of me. (Maybe mincemeat -- never had it, but it just doesn't sound good. :shock: )
no avatar
User

Christy M.

Rank

Wine geek

Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:26 pm

Brooklyn, NY

by Christy M. » Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:33 pm

I grew up on fruit pies. My grandmother and mother both loved to bake and my grandparents were just blocks away from our house in a small town in Central Washington that grows lots of tree fruit (for those curious enough it was E. Wenatchee). So, I ate loads of fruit pie growing up.

My grandmom/mom's apple pie is just heavenly, especially warm. Pear is near the top of my list too. My recent favorite is huckleberry pie made with huckleberrys from my 94-year old grandfather's garden.

To me, pie is part of my childhood and part of my family, particularly my mother's side of the family. We had it for birthdays candles and all (who needs cake where there's fruit pie?), Thanksgiving, and those many nights we went to my grandparents for dinner, a visit and a hand of pinnochle.

It's taken me awhile to get used to the fact that some people don't like fruit pie. My husband is one of those people. He didn't grow up on pie. Still I've converted him to one pear pie a year....not a bad start for someone who doesn't like fruit pies. And it's only the beginning. :D
Christy
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

by Bill Hooper » Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:32 pm

Key Lime.

But I'm partial to Pumpkin during the holidays.

Bill
no avatar
User

MtBakerDave

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:53 pm

Seattle

by MtBakerDave » Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:39 am

Any kind of pie. Sweet, savory, creamy, fruity. Just give me pie!
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:30 am

Carrie L. wrote:(Maybe mincemeat -- never had it, but it just doesn't sound good. :shock: )

Don't let the sound fool you. Its one of my favorite containing mostly raisins, chopped apples and lots of spices. The name is a bit misleading, as I believe there is some type of dried meat in the mixture, but doesn't really do much to the flavor. Mincemeat and pumpkin are the traditional Thanksgiving favorites at our house. Hmmm... I've never made one, so I think I'll Google a recipe or look it up in Joy of Cooking and make one this year.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

How many can I list?

by Cynthia Wenslow » Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:06 pm

In order of preference:

Blackberry
Sour Cherry
Sour Cherry and Blueberry together (fantastic!)
Peach
Rhubarb (no strawberries, please)

And, of course, I would not turn down chocolate cream, lemon meringue, coconut custard, Dutch apple, or raspberry :lol:

Oops! Edited to add pumpkin!
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Sat Oct 21, 2006 10:50 am

Carrie L. wrote:
(Maybe mincemeat -- never had it, but it just doesn't sound good. )

Howie wrote:
Don't let the sound fool you. Its one of my favorite containing mostly raisins, chopped apples and lots of spices. The name is a bit misleading, as I believe there is some type of dried meat in the mixture, but doesn't really do much to the flavor. Mincemeat and pumpkin are the traditional Thanksgiving favorites at our house. Hmmm... I've never made one, so I think I'll Google a recipe or look it up in Joy of Cooking and make one this year.

Hmm. See, none of it sounds good really. I don't like raisins at all, and a little spice is okay, but a lot of spice, no. Throw in a dried meat of any kind, and you've completely lost me. But I'm happy you like it, Howie. :D
Previous