The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Spanish reds & white

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

ClarkDGigHbr

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 06, 2006 7:16 pm

Gig Harbor, WA

WTN: Spanish reds & white

by ClarkDGigHbr » Sat Sep 30, 2006 6:47 pm

Our local wine shop hosted a complimentary tasting of newly released Spanish wines this week. The lineup included 1 white and 3 reds. The prices listed reflect our local wine shop; your millage may vary.

2005 Vina Godeval Godello ($15): This white varietal is a new one for me. It is crisp and acidic, and it is very tasty. It came to mind as tasting something like a cross between Trebbiano and Arneis, making it a natural match for seafood.

2005 Luzon Jumilla ($9): This blend of 65% Monastrell (aka Mourvedre) and 35% Syrah feels like a rustic dinner wine. It has medium-light body with matching tannin and acid. Its dark fruit has smokiness to it with some bitterness on the finish. It needs food to be more fully appreciated.

2004 Juan Gil ($15): This 100% Monastrell is also from Jumilla. It has medium+ body with bright fruit and acid, and with more pronounced tannin. The taste has some blueberry nuances.

2003 Bodegas El Nido CLIO ($42): Another blend from Jumilla, this one is 70% Monastrell and 30% Cabernet Sauvignon. This is big and lovely, with deep fruit flavors, good acid and medium tannin. It is a beautiful wine with an elegant presentation and excellent finish. For what it’s worth, Robert Parker gave this wine 96 points.

My favorites of the evening were the Godello and the CLIO.

-- Clark
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: WTN: Spanish reds & white

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:28 am

Clark, we are tasting Mourvedre blends over on Netscape this month. I will look out for some Monestrell/Cab blends, there is a good Spanish selection downtown here from Jumilla and surrounding areas.