The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 1997 Domaine Clavel Coteaux du Languedoc La Copa Santa

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

geo t.

Rank

Cellar cat

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:01 pm

Day-twah, MI

WTN: 1997 Domaine Clavel Coteaux du Languedoc La Copa Santa

by geo t. » Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:49 pm

1997 Domaine Clavel Coteaux du Languedoc La Copa Santa, $14.97, 13% alc.: This has really developed and is maturing well since the last time we had it, and perhaps surprisingly (or not), we found one last bottle in the same Marshfield, Massachusetts Blanchard’s outlet where we bought the previous one. Some rust has invaded the dark garnet color, all fading at the rim, and some nice secondary characteristics are starting to develop in both flavor and aroma, with smoke, leather and iron complementing the black and red plums and berries, with earth, underbrush and a wee bit of the barnyard in the background. Smooth, yet still well structured, with a good, long finish, it has an almost Châteauneuf du Pape-like personality; it may not yet be at its peak, and it’s certainly not likely to fade any time soon, and if I had any more, I’d pair it with a roasted leg of lamb with rosemary and garlic.

-From Wicked Couch & Spit

Reporting from Day-twah,

geo t.
Nunquam Spuemus
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Re: TN: 1997 Domaine Clavel Coteaux du Languedoc La Copa Santa

by Brian K Miller » Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:21 am

Cool. I have a bottle of 2002. I'm looking forward to trying it when appropriate.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:38 am

Cool. I have a bottle of 2002. I'm looking forward to trying it when appropriate.

My guess would be the 02 wouldn't go very long, but I could be wrong, and I guess 97 was a bit of a washout in Souther France as well? I know very little about vintages in the region, let alone this wine.
no avatar
User

robs_r

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:31 am

by robs_r » Fri Sep 29, 2006 3:25 am

I had the '99 some moths ago. Very pleasent and fully mature but in no danger of decline.

Regards, Robert
Robert Ruzitschka
Vienna, Austria
no avatar
User

OW Holmes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:57 pm

Grand Rapids, MI

by OW Holmes » Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:45 am

Has anybody had the '98?
-w
-OW
no avatar
User

geo t.

Rank

Cellar cat

Day-twah, MI

by geo t. » Fri Sep 29, 2006 3:00 pm

OW Holmes wrote:Has anybody had the '98?
-w

Haven't had the '98, OW, but I've read some raves about it on another forum today. Had the '99 a few days after the '97; here are my notes:

1999 Domaine Clavel Coteaux du Languedoc La Copa Santa, $14.97, 14% alc.: This inky beast presents an interesting contrast to the ’97, giving up something like a theoretical blend of earthy underbrush, mahogany and flat root beer; there is a core of dark plum and blackberry, but it’s showing more secondary characteristics than the older model, and yet it still has significant structure and concentration. It opens dramatically with air, becoming more and more harmonious, and drinks fairly well already, but it’s really in an intermediate period, and needs another two or three years minimum. If you just can’t wait and have to open one now, give it an hour in a decanter before drinking.

Cheers,

geo
Nunquam Spuemus
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Fri Sep 29, 2006 3:51 pm

-w

From Feb:
the oak has integrated for the most part, now an accent not the heart of the mix. Nice smoky blackberry Syrah fruit, big but with a sense of sprightliness. I drank my others too early. This is quite pleasing now, with leather and grilled meat aromas over the deep dark fruit. Good finish
no avatar
User

geo t.

Rank

Cellar cat

Day-twah, MI

by geo t. » Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:51 pm

Dale Williams wrote:
-w

From Feb:
the oak has integrated for the most part, now an accent not the heart of the mix. Nice smoky blackberry Syrah fruit, big but with a sense of sprightliness. I drank my others too early. This is quite pleasing now, with leather and grilled meat aromas over the deep dark fruit. Good finish

Thanks Dale; wish we had a few of these...

:!: :?: :idea: :arrow: :wink:
Nunquam Spuemus
no avatar
User

OW Holmes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:57 pm

Grand Rapids, MI

by OW Holmes » Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:07 pm

geo t. wrote:
Dale Williams wrote:
-w

From Feb:

Thanks Dale; wish we had a few of these...

:!: :?: :idea: :arrow: :wink:

And I wish I had more than one.
Thanks, all...
-OW
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:04 pm

Whilst we are here chatting about Languedoc reds, have to put a plug in for a termendous white. The `04 La Brise Marine from Ch de la Negly. A blend of Bourboulenc, Marsanne and Rousanne and wonderful with crab cakes!! This is the 2nd bottle I have opened recently. Any thoughts on their reds??