Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

PORTO newbie -- needs food/snack match --- HELP!! [Part 2]

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

AaronW

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:45 pm

Just south of SLC

PORTO newbie -- needs food/snack match --- HELP!! [Part 2]

by AaronW » Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:54 pm

Got a bottle of Fonseca Bin No. 27 Port (from Portugal), a blend of old and new wines so it's obviously non-vintage. I haven't opened it yet because i want to make sure i have a good variety of possible food matches readily available so i can maximize my port-experience. A friend of mine suggested pecans as a nibbler match for the port. What are the classic matches for Port, and are there any new ones recently discovered. Please help, thanx!

Stay tuned, Tawny match requests are next!

Hey Forumites!!,
Just purchased a "Warre's 10 Year Old Tawny". I would absolutely love it if you guys could help me understand what to expect with this stuff, flavor-profile-wise, and what to match with it as well-- Pleeeeese!! Thanks a bunch!
Last edited by AaronW on Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

Re: PORTO newbie -- needs food/snack match --- HELP!!

by Bob Ross » Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:58 pm

Bitter chocolate is classic and delicious; don't use milk or sweet chocolate. Contrast works wonderfully here.

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

AaronW

Rank

Ultra geek

Just south of SLC

by AaronW » Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:59 pm

Bob Ross wrote:Bitter chocolate is classic and delicious; don't use milk or sweet chocolate. Contrast works wonderfully here.

Regards, Bob

Thanks, Bob!
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:05 pm

I had this combo Sunday morning at a tasting with Andrea Robinson -- it was fantastic, and a fantastic ending to a great seminar. Enjoy.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Sep 24, 2006 12:25 pm

Plain nuts like pecans, hazelnuts or walnuts with blue cheese on the side is classic, Aaron, as is the chocolate Bob reccomends. My personal favorite food for port, though? Chocolate chip walnut cookies. Puts in the nuts and the chocolates, but it's given another dimension with the sugar and salt of the cookie dough. Absolute heaven.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Sun Sep 24, 2006 12:29 pm

Just sip the stuff! Or drink it. Prto is great all by itself, although I would never turn down the dark chocolate or a ripe blue cheese.
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

AaronW

Rank

Ultra geek

Just south of SLC

by AaronW » Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:32 pm

Jenise wrote:Plain nuts like pecans, hazelnuts or walnuts with blue cheese on the side is classic, Aaron, as is the chocolate Bob reccomends. My personal favorite food for port, though? Chocolate chip walnut cookies. Puts in the nuts and the chocolates, but it's given another dimension with the sugar and salt of the cookie dough. Absolute heaven.

That's an awesome recommendation Jenise!
I'll give it a go, Thanks!

Anyone heard of a "mocha" related match for Port?
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:46 am

Puget Sound

by Randy Buckner » Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:55 am

Matches for Port vary by the style of the Port (White, Ruby, Tawny, Crusted, LBV, Single Quinta, Colheita, Vintage Character and Vintage Port).

Bin 27 is a premium Ruby Port. Classic matches for Ruby Port are dark chocolate desserts, full flavored cheeses such as mature cheddar or Pont L’Eveque (the oldest Norman cheese still in production today), and a fine cigar. Enjoy.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:13 am

AaronW. wrote:
Jenise wrote:Plain nuts like pecans, hazelnuts or walnuts with blue cheese on the side is classic, Aaron, as is the chocolate Bob reccomends. My personal favorite food for port, though? Chocolate chip walnut cookies. Puts in the nuts and the chocolates, but it's given another dimension with the sugar and salt of the cookie dough. Absolute heaven.

Aaron, just be sure not to skimp on quality here. Go to Mrs. Fields if you don't bake 'em yourself--no Chips Ahoy!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

AaronW

Rank

Ultra geek

Just south of SLC

by AaronW » Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:15 pm

Jenise wrote:
AaronW. wrote:

Aaron, just be sure not to skimp on quality here. Go to Mrs. Fields if you don't bake 'em yourself--no Chips Ahoy!

What, no Chips Ahoy!!?? They're my favorite!

Just kidding. Those things are abominable.

Hey I tried your suggestion the other night, but I used pecans instead because that's what I had. However, it was a tremendous experience, but I'm going to have to do it again and try it the walnut-way. Thanks again.