The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Trivial question

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

Trivial question

by John Tomasso » Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:13 am

Will the server automatically adjust for daylight savings time, or do I have to adjust manually in profiles?

This is a confusing morning. Windows has reset all my computer clocks, but the cable company has not yet sent the signal to the boxes that serve as our clocks in the bedroom and living room.
Nor has my cellular phone reset to the new time, which is supposed to happen automatically as well.

The WLDG clock is an hour slow right now, as I look at it.

So, does anybody really know what time it is?
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Trivial question

by Robin Garr » Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:20 am

John Tomasso wrote:Will the server automatically adjust for daylight savings time, or do I have to adjust manually in profiles?

Good point. I'm not sure! :) Thinking aloud, though, even if we do, this setup still appears to be the same as on the original WLDG: You set local time by its difference from GMT. Since GMT does not change for summer/winter time, if your local time changes, you need to adjust your Profile.

So, does anybody really know what time it is?

It's 9:18 a.m. here, but it's WAY early out West.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:24 am

John Tomasso wrote:Will the server automatically adjust for daylight savings time

Following up, actually our server DID change to daylight (although it's clearly not conformed to an atomic clock, as it's two or three minutes fast):

> date
Sun Apr 2 09:21:56 EDT 2006

But my previous note still applies: Since the forum time is set in YOUR profiles, if accuracy is important to you you'll need to adjust it - to GMT-4 in US Eastern, GMT-7 in Pacific, GMT+2 in Western Europe, etc.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:46 am

John, with cell phones you'll probably need to "reboot". I turned mine off and on this AM, it reset. Probably the same with anything getting time by signal.
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Sun Apr 02, 2006 1:03 pm

My cell changed somewhere in the night and it had been on all night. The fun part is the semi-annual memory jog that tries to figure out how to re-set the clocks in each car, which of course have unique methods.

When the hell are we going to give up on this nonsense of changing the time? I've heard a few ostensible reasons for the initiation of the change, none of which hold water today, even the one about children having to wait for the school bus in the dark in winter--around here, parents burn fossil fuels in their car at the edge of their 100 foot driveway while waiting for the school bus to come extract their children from the warm car, which is likely close to having been filled with carbon monoxide by then, all of which making the changing of the time the least of our problems...
Thomas P