The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Nossiter sets the cat among the pigeons... again

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

AlexR

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:28 am

Bordeaux

Nossiter sets the cat among the pigeons... again

by AlexR » Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:20 am

From today's Le Monde:

"On ne devrait pas plus tricher avec une bouteille qu'un comédien avec ses sentiments. Je n'a pas envie d'un monde où il n'y aurait que des vins et des stars qui font de la gonflette. Le discours de Robert Parker est le même que celui de la Maison Blanche sur l'Irak..."

"One should cheat no more with a bottle of wine than an actor does with his feelings. I want no part of a world in which there were only trendy wines and winemakers who strut their stuff. Robert Parker's position is the same as the White House's on Iraq."

Two controversies for the price of one!

This all goes along with publicity campaign surrounding the release of the "full Monty" version of Mondovino - 4 DVDs...

Best regards,
Alex R.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Nossiter sets the cat among the pigeons... again

by Robin Garr » Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:31 am

AlexR wrote:This all goes along with publicity campaign surrounding the release of the "full Monty" version of Mondovino - 4 DVDs...

That one ought to bring out the "human shields," all right! It would be helpful to have more context here, Alex. At a glance, it certainly seems like Nossiter is waving a red flag to get attention.

The thing I find most curious about this is that in the original release of Mondovino, Parker was barely even one of the bad guys. Nossiter took the train to Monkton, interviewed the guy briefly, without really savaging him in the way he did some others, with considerable focus on his bulldog, and then went on. I thought at the time that the Parkerites' primary objection would have to be that he dismissed their guy without sufficient attention.

Now suddenly he's "as bad as Bush on Iraq"? Either there's a lot more about The Bob in the longer version, which would raise serious questions about why Nossiter didn't think it important enough to put in the theatrical release; OR he's just trolling for publicity.
no avatar
User

AlexR

Rank

Wine guru

Bordeaux

by AlexR » Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:40 am

Hi Robin,

Here's the link to the full article: http://www.lemonde.fr/web/article/0,1-0 ... 051,0.html

Yes, I agree with you.
There are good things and bad things that can be ascribed to Parker, and I'm very much against the war in Iraq, but I really fail to see the link between the two!

This was not a tremendously responsible thing to say.

Best regards,
Alex R.
no avatar
User

AlexR

Rank

Wine guru

Bordeaux

by AlexR » Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:47 am

By the way, Robin, the same article says:

"Nossiter y défend la notion de terroir contre l'impérialisme du cépage. Il y oppose tolérance envers la diversité des goûts (incarnée par des vignerons français) et homogénéisation imposée par les impérialistes du goût américain (le trust Mondavi, le critique Robert Parker, le wine maker Michel Rolland, apôtre des mixtures trafiquées, vanillées, sucrées, micro-oxygénées et vieillies en fût de chêne neuf).'

"Nossiter defends the notion of terroir against the hegemony of varietal wines. He opposes a tolerance to diverse tastes (incarnated by French winegrowers) to the standardization imposed by the imperialists of American taste (the Mondavi trust, the critic Robert Parker, and the winemaker Michel Rolland - the apostle of doctored, vanilla-flavored, sweet, micro-oxygenated, wine aged in new oak barrels".

Of course, Mondavi today has nothing to do with the Mondavi of several years ago, and the comment about Michel Rolland is really hitting below the belt. The French word "trafiquer" is very strong. It means to tamper with a product in an illegal way (or to deal with illegal goods or services). Such statements could easily be construed as libel...

Best regards,
Alex R.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:59 am

AlexR wrote:I'm very much against the war in Iraq, but I really fail to see the link between the two!

Well ... simply for the sake of debate, I don't have a hard time parsing it: It has to do with a strong, single-minded (simple-minded?) world view and sufficient power to try to make it happen.
no avatar
User

Dave Erickson

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:31 pm

Asheville, NC

by Dave Erickson » Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:19 am

Robin Garr wrote:
AlexR wrote:I'm very much against the war in Iraq, but I really fail to see the link between the two!

Well ... simply for the sake of debate, I don't have a hard time parsing it: It has to do with a strong, single-minded (simple-minded?) world view and sufficient power to try to make it happen.

...and the attitude that I'm right and you're wrong because I'm right.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:11 am

Just popped over there, things are pretty quiet at the moment. What time does Ebobsie lighten up?!!!
no avatar
User

Andrew Shults

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:32 am

Chicago, Illinois, USA

by Andrew Shults » Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:00 pm

What I want to know is, do the dogs provide actor commentaries in the expanded edition?
no avatar
User

Dave Erickson

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:31 pm

Asheville, NC

by Dave Erickson » Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:38 pm

Andrew Shults wrote:What I want to know is, do the dogs provide actor commentaries in the expanded edition?

:D :D :D
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:03 pm

I actually kind of liked the movie, but this just reeks of self-promotion ('wait, no one is looking at me...what can I say that gets me attention?")
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:05 pm

PS I don't get the "opposes the tolerance" phrasing. Obviously not what he means
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:33 pm

I'm definitely going to want to buy the whole collection. I really enjoyed Mondovino when I first saw it.

Politics aside, I really think that Nossiter captured some fine scenes in the original release, and I suspect there will be much more of the same in the full series.
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

AlexR

Rank

Wine guru

Bordeaux

by AlexR » Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:20 am

Dale,

As you know, my job is to translate but I dashed my post off to quickly and one franglais expression crept in.
You're right, you can't translate "opposer" by "to oppose" in English in this context.

The better verb would have been "to compare" or "to pit".

Best regards,
Alex R.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:58 am

thanks Alex, "compares" makes it clearer.
no avatar
User

Steve Slatcher

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:51 am

Manchester, England

by Steve Slatcher » Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:01 pm

Dave Erickson wrote:
Robin Garr wrote:

...and the attitude that I'm right and you're wrong because I'm right.

The thing that strikes me most as a similiarity between Bush and Parker is their willingness to say they do what they do in the name of democracy. It makes me cringe whenever I hear either of them use the word.