The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

A pretty human interest piece by Thomas.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

A pretty human interest piece by Thomas.

by Bob Ross » Sun Sep 24, 2006 6:35 pm

no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

Re: A pretty human interest piece by Thomas.

by Carl Eppig » Sun Sep 24, 2006 6:42 pm

Very nice column Thomas.

Cheers, Carl
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Sun Sep 24, 2006 7:09 pm

Thomas,
Short, sweet, and to the point. Very well done indeed. I will have to follow your friend's example and haul my butt up to the Finger Lakes and do a little tasting of my own.
Cheers!
James

Great catch Bob!
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Sun Sep 24, 2006 8:38 pm

Thanks for posting Bob! Great article Thomas!
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:21 am

Thanks, guys.

Bob, what are you doing reading the Elmira Star Gazette all the way down there in New Jersey? You are a curious fellow... ;)

Too bad the local paper (Dundee Observer) that carries my weekly wine column does not offer it online. The columns are all about wine--not just local wine--and the publisher allows me to rail, wax philosophical, moan, scream, spread joy, spew hatred toward WSWA, dispell and even create my own myths, and on and on. Great fun!
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:14 am

"Curious" in more than one sense of that word, Thomas.

I do wish the Dundee Observer had an online version. Maybe if you, Robin and the Observer all agreed, you could post the columns on WLP so we could all enjoy your offerings.

I enjoyed your little piece I cited very much.

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

by Thomas » Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:45 am

Bob, I chose the word "curious" for its potential interpretations...don't you just love the inaccuracies of the English language?
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:25 pm

I knew you did, Thomas, and those multiple meanings add such joy -- and at times heartache -- to using English.

I've been thinking about the heartache because I recently saw a movie about Derek Bentley, the young man who was hanged in 1953 for a murder he didn't commit -- in part because of his ambiguous ""Let him have it, Chris".
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:30 pm

Bob Ross wrote:Maybe if you, Robin and the Observer all agreed, you could post the columns on WLP so we could all enjoy your offerings.

I'd love to work that out, and if the Observer editors are skittish, Thomas might point out that quite a few other wine writers, including John Juergens (Oxford, Miss.), Richard Fadeley (Columbia, SC) and Randy Caparoso (late of Honolulu) have all persuaded their newspapers to share, and since I'm happy to publish a visible newspaper logo (and a link, if they have a Website), the donor newspaper has gained a significant benefit.

Of course, if Thomas is as sharp as I think he is, there's no way he gave over his copyright rights anyway, beyond first North American print publication, so permission may not even be an issue.

How about it, Thomas? I'd be delighted to archive your columns on the site.
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

by Thomas » Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:41 pm

Bob Ross wrote:I knew you did, Thomas, and those multiple meanings add such joy -- and at times heartache -- to using English.

I've been thinking about the heartache because I recently saw a movie about Derek Bentley, the young man who was hanged in 1953 for a murder he didn't commit -- in part because of his ambiguous ""Let him have it, Chris".

Well Bob, you is the lawyer!
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

by Thomas » Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:44 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Bob Ross wrote:Maybe if you, Robin and the Observer all agreed, you could post the columns on WLP so we could all enjoy your offerings.

I'd love to work that out, and if the Observer editors are skittish, Thomas might point out that quite a few other wine writers, including John Juergens (Oxford, Miss.), Richard Fadeley (Columbia, SC) and Randy Caparoso (late of Honolulu) have all persuaded their newspapers to share, and since I'm happy to publish a visible newspaper logo (and a link, if they have a Website), the donor newspaper has gained a significant benefit.

Of course, if Thomas is as sharp as I think he is, there's no way he gave over his copyright rights anyway, beyond first North American print publication, so permission may not even be an issue.

How about it, Thomas? I'd be delighted to archive your columns on the site.

Robin,

I am on my way to an appointment, but I want to say that I will look into this possibility and let you know what gives.
Thomas P