The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Question: standing up or laying down

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Agostino Berti

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:47 pm

Winston-Salem, North Carolina

Question: standing up or laying down

by Agostino Berti » Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:27 pm

Apparently, there's authorities such as Giacomo Conterno (or so I've heard) that believe, with the proper humidity, bottles should stand up. Others, such as the French, believe wine bottles should be laid down for the cork to stay moist. I've tasted old bottles that were standing up in a humid environment and they were perfect. The fact is, you can fit alot more bottles in a space laying down than standing up.

My real question is, people have told me that if a bottle has been standing up in a humid environment for a long time its better to keep it standing. I have abottle given to me by a producer thats always been standing up in a wet cellar and my inclination is to keep it that way. Any comments?

Thanks,
Agostino
no avatar
User

Paul Savage

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:13 am

Re: Question: standing up or laying down

by Paul Savage » Sat Sep 23, 2006 1:54 am

I suppose, if one has VERY high humidity, it wouldn't matter, but in practise, I would ALWAYS store a bottle lying down. Whether it was standing up or laying down before won't effect this decision. ...Paul
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Sat Sep 23, 2006 2:25 pm

I've also heard that some Barolo producers keep their bottles standing up as the humidity is high enough to keep the cork well. The explanation I heard was that the wines create very, very much sediment and that less wine is wasted when decanted if stood upright.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Alejandro Audisio

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:03 am

Buenos Aires, Argentina

by Alejandro Audisio » Sat Sep 23, 2006 2:42 pm

Interesting thread. Id heard about the upright storage theory but only for Champagne, never for still wines.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Sat Sep 23, 2006 6:41 pm

I like it standing up, but my wife likes it.... oops wrong forum :oops: My bad! Lets be a little more specific with the questions here! Who has time to actually read the posts?!!!
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Sat Sep 23, 2006 6:54 pm

I still find this a little odd - if a wine is expected to throw a sediment, why not keep it horizontal until a week or so before you need it, at which point you place it upright and the sediment will either settle, or be solidly attached to the side of the bottle. I currently have two six bottle wine carriers which I use for the "imminent drinking" wines. Every couple of weeks I re-stock it. I shall question them if we make it there next month (hoping to make the 2006 Barbaresco Wine festival, but would like to make it to Barolo or one of it's communes on the spare day though).

regards

Ian
no avatar
User

Dave Erickson

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:31 pm

Asheville, NC

by Dave Erickson » Sat Sep 23, 2006 6:59 pm

Agostino Berti wrote:My real question is, people have told me that if a bottle has been standing up in a humid environment for a long time its better to keep it standing. I have abottle given to me by a producer thats always been standing up in a wet cellar and my inclination is to keep it that way. Any comments?

Thanks,
Agostino

The answer to your "real" question is: That's nonsense. There is no quality effect from laying a standing bottle on its side and storing it that way. Obviously, wines that throw sediment should be put upright at least a few hours before opening. But a bottle being in one position and left that way? No.
no avatar
User

DebA

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:11 am

N. of the equator

by DebA » Sat Sep 23, 2006 7:27 pm

I have a question along this line if anyone would care to share their perspective. I have been learning more about sherry of late and came across an opinion that sherry should be stored upright because of how the alcohol % attacks the cork if stored horizontally. Seems that there is a concern that the cork seal may crumble and falter from the aggressiveness of a 20%+ alcoholic content in some sherries. What say you, forumites? :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Dave Erickson

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:31 pm

Asheville, NC

by Dave Erickson » Sun Sep 24, 2006 1:33 pm

Deborah Ackerman wrote:I have a question along this line if anyone would care to share their perspective. I have been learning more about sherry of late and came across an opinion that sherry should be stored upright because of how the alcohol % attacks the cork if stored horizontally. Seems that there is a concern that the cork seal may crumble and falter from the aggressiveness of a 20%+ alcoholic content in some sherries. What say you, forumites? :mrgreen:

Nah. If alcohol really attacked cork, I doubt it would be used to seal whiskey and brandy bottles. The real issue with sherry, in particular fino, is that it should be refrigerated during shipment. If memory serves, one of the big sherry houses did this for a while, but discontinued it because it was expensive and nobody seemed to care. Heat may be the enemy of wine, but it is the murderer of fino sherry.
no avatar
User

DebA

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:11 am

N. of the equator

by DebA » Sun Sep 24, 2006 1:40 pm

Thanks for the input, Dave. I appreciate it! :cool: